New Rig -- I finally pulled the trigger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rig -- I finally pulled the trigger

It's been nearly two years since I've played a computer game that isn't web-based and isn't hearts. I had been waiting and waiting and waiting for the insurance company to officially claim my two desktops as a total loss so I can get reimbursed for them. Well guess what.... I'm still waiting. :row__733:

I'm still waiting for the insurance money but I'm no longer waiting to build a new gaming rig. I simply couldn't handle it anymore. My work laptop is a Dell Latitude refurb that chugs slower than a turtle. My Asus Eee netbook has been great for non-gaming tasks. And my wii can only satisfy so much of my gaming appetite. So I've spent the past few days on newegg checking out components and reading reviews, etc.

Here's a list of what should be arriving at my doorstep over the next week or so:

I had initially thought to try and go for the core i7 965 but with the 1k price tag on the cpu alone I opted to go with the 920. I read that it can easily be overclocked to ~3.2 GHz with air cooling. I didn't want to mess with water cooling. I also didn't put a bluray player in. I don't think I'll ever watch bluray on my computer. I'd rather watch it on my plasma. With this setup though I can always pop one in later.

So I believe all that is left to purchase is a good headset. I had the medusa 5.1 Pro Gamer headset prior to the fire. I enjoyed those but I'm not sure I need true 5.1 headphones. Most gaming headsets use virtual surround sound to provide directional sound. Any recommendations for a quality gaming headset?
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: New Rig -- I finally pulled the trigger

Wow, nice rig asch. That thing will be a powerhouse.

Comment

Congrats on your new build! Here's to many more years of wonderful gaming enjoyment. *raises glass* :)
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Awesome machine. That ought to last you for quite a while.
        sigpic

Comment

wow that is some great build..
          If you show your head then your dead....

Comment

Man, thats looks nice.

Let me know how you like that monitor for gaming, please.

Comment

Nice build. I would have gone with a Corsair PSU, but it's just preference. You'll love the NH-U12P and the NF-P12s. Both pretty pro choices for cooling. [It's what I use]
              Cheers,
              It's Gaming
              Proud to have been a member of the 55th Infantry Division!

Comment

Nice setup - I'm jealous.

I take it your mouse survived the fire?

I recommend Sennheiser HD555 headphones. I picked them up from Amazon for $99 over a year ago and they're great. No microphone though - I use a Logitech USB mic that sits on my desk.
                |TG|Melee
                Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Oooh, right, forgot about the suggestion on the headset. The HD555s are pretty pro, but for an all in one deal, the PC350s would be the closest sound-wise.
                  It's Gaming
                  Proud to have been a member of the 55th Infantry Division!

Comment

The PC350 is an excellent headset, I love it.

And the build looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by Dictate View Post
                      Nice build. I would have gone with a Corsair PSU, but it's just preference.
                      I had the Corsair 1000W on my newegg wishlist. I was waiting for the nvidia 295 to come into stock so I could place the order. When it finally came into stock the Corsair was deactivated from newegg and appears to be on back-order elsewhere.

Originally posted by Melee View Post
                      I take it your mouse survived the fire?
                      Nope... but I picked up a MS Sidewinder mouse a while back to use with my work laptop. I plan to use that on my new rig.

I recommend Sennheiser HD555 headphones. I picked them up from Amazon for $99 over a year ago and they're great. No microphone though - I use a Logitech USB mic that sits on my desk.
                      I had some nice audiophile Sennheiser headphones before my medusa's. I loved them. I didn't like having the stand-alone mic. I may look at the Sennheiser gaming headsets though... I read they were pretty good.
                      |TG-12th| asch
                      sigpic

Comment

Great rig there, that will keep you going for a while!

I too can recommend the Sennheiser PC350 headset. They are sturdy built and very comfortable to wear for hours and hours, more so than the cheaper models. The mic-sound is clear and noise-cancelling. The noise-cancelling headphones are better than cheaper models. By this i mean you can't hear what's going on around you, it's shut out. I for example have no problems playing while my son plays music or watches TV in the same room with me. Fantastic!

Comment

You should have bought the Fatality headset to go along with the Fatality sound card and save $50!

How's the sound card working out? I'm curious to what was added to make the thing so expensive besides it being PCI Express.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Very nice setup, enjoy!

For a mic, get a nice pair of headphones that you're gonna like, then: http://www.svc.com/zm-mic1-75.html

It may sound cheesy calling itself high-quality, but damn its a nice mic. Picks up sounds very well (almost too well). I've had it sitting on the ground next to me and people could still somewhat discern what I was saying.

Comment

nice asch, what's next? Take over the Internet?

- -

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X