Which video card?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which video card?

I want to go over to Frys tomorrow and buy a new card. Which one should I get?

My last card, an eVGA 8600GTS, has been working fine since April of 2007, but started acting up Friday morning. When I fired up WoW, I'd see artifacts like little combs, the system would shortly thereafter freeze, and, if I was lucky, I could kill WoW and get use of the system back. More often I'd need to hit the reset button. I blew out the factory cooler and got some dust bunnies out of it, but it's even worse when I try it today. I figure I'll send it back for service since it has a lifetime warranty.

Meanwhile, I swapped in my old trusty Gigabyte 6800GT 256 MB, and it handles the Vista 64 Ultimate desktop just fine at 1900x1200, but I only get 4 fps out of WoW (at best) even with the resolution at 800x600 and the effects all turned to minimum. Full-screen and windowed makes no difference. I installed the latest 182.06 nVidia driver as part of card-switching, so possibly the new driver is horribly broken.

BTW, system is ASUS P5Q Pro with 8 GB memory. I also pulled 4 GB out just in case the driver had issues with high memory. No improvement.

I did get the 6800 to run at 60 fps once this afternoon, but haven't been able to reproduce it. I reset all the WoW stuff to factory defaults and it ran once that way, but not again.

I copied my WoW installation to my old P4 box with a Radeon 9600 and Win2k, and it works just fine there, albeit at comparatively cruddy resolution.

I don't just play WoW. That's just the game with the least demands on the card, which is why I'm shocked that the 6800 is performing so poorly. I'm also replaying Portal, and once in a while play some BF2 or ETQW. And I'm sure some bleeding edge game will come out that will require the latest hardware.

It would be nice if the card I get had some decent Linux support. Alas, ATI and nVIDIA are not playing nice with the open source people and giving them full specs to the latest hardware, so they have to reverse-engineer everything.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Which video card?

I don't think anything even recently has good Linux support (the numerous threads I scrolled through for a old ATI and nV card are testament).

As for a nice card, The GTX260+, the HD4850, and HD4870 are the ones that come to mind that should handle even some of the future games quite well.

As for the poor performance of your old 6800GT, I think it may be due to the Vista driver available to it. I've read on the official nV forums the old drivers are stable, but don't give you the same performance on a graphics as it would on a XP system (maybe poor driver coding).
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I found this site for comparing cards:

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php

Looks like a 4830 is about comparable to my 8600GTS, so anything above that would be an upgrade.

I went over to Best Buy in hopes of finding something to hold me over for awhile but their selection was limited and overpriced. So tomorrow I'll drive across the county to Frys which I know has good selection and not terrible prices.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
        I found this site for comparing cards:

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php

Looks like a 4830 is about comparable to my 8600GTS, so anything above that would be an upgrade.

I went over to Best Buy in hopes of finding something to hold me over for awhile but their selection was limited and overpriced. So tomorrow I'll drive across the county to Frys which I know has good selection and not terrible prices.
        Um, from the performance reviews of the HD4830, it'll even outperform my 8800GT in some games (by as much as 12 fps). So I'd say the HD4830 is even better than your 8600GTS.

For example, has the 4830 beating a 9800GT (basically a 8800GT rebadged) even at 1920 x 1200. If you look a bit further down the chart, it has over double the framerates of a 8600GTS at 1920 x 1200.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Frys is still usually more expensive than Newegg or Zipzoomfly.
          It really comes to how much you want to spend.
          If you want about $150 or less, go with the 4850, and try to find one with a good aftermarket cooler and 1 gig of ram.

If you can go up to $200, you really have tons of good choices that will keep you happy for a long time. Like acreo said, either the 260 or 4870.

I have posted reviews to the 48** cards before, and they all say the card runs hot, but one with a good aftermarket cooler like:
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...page=2&bop=And

will make you very happy.

There are cards just like that for the 4870 as well. It has been shown to cool the card about 20 degrees over stock.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
            There are cards just like that for the 4870 as well. It has been shown to cool the card about 20 degrees over stock.
            I'm not really a fan of the stock cooler on my 8800GT either. I'd rather have the copper cooling fins exposed to the airflow in my case rather than have to rely on the small fan to blow air through the HSF.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              I'm not really a fan of the stock cooler on my 8800GT either. I'd rather have the copper cooling fins exposed to the airflow in my case rather than have to rely on the small fan to blow air through the HSF.
              I am a fan of the cooler design exhausting out the back, but I also finaly admit that the cooling solutions out there do a better job with much less noise.

Scratch, the 4850 X2 might be a good card to hold you over for a while. The GPU scalability helps with futureproofing, to a degree.
              "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
              Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
                I am a fan of the cooler design exhausting out the back, but I also finaly admit that the cooling solutions out there do a better job with much less noise.

Scratch, the 4850 X2 might be a good card to hold you over for a while. The GPU scalability helps with futureproofing, to a degree.
                He should check to see if there are problems with the X2 with the games he plays.

For example, the X2 would not work with ArmA sometime back (and maybe still doesn't).
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The only two I'm playing at the moment are WoW and Portal, but I hope to play some ETQW and maybe BF2.

I went to Frys and a 4850 would have cost me $200. I figure if I'm going to spend that much, I'm going to spend for several years, and I wasn't prepared to spend $400. So instead, I got a 9500 GT. About the same performance as my 8600 GTS, with a lot less power consumption. Not even a PCIe aux power connector on the board. For about $70 after mail-in $20 rebate. And I got the eVGA version to get the good warranty.

I figure in 6 months I'll look again to see what's out there and put down serious money on an upgrade.

Right now I've got WoW running in the background and performance is quite reasonable.

Comment

Scratch, those are all $50 or so at newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2535&name=EVGA

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I don't think Scratch wants to shop online and/or doesn't have a credit/debit card.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The issue was that I needed a card now, and I didn't want to wait for shipping. Hence, I bought a cheap card now at the local merchant, and I'll buy something expensive when I have time to research it properly and can tolerate the order/shipping wait.

BTW, here's a comparison between the card I bought and the one it replaced:

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards....=512&card2=574

Comment

Now that I think of it, did Fry's have the 9600GT on hand? That would have been an upgrade from your 8600GTS since the 9600GT is basically halfway between a 8800GS and a 8800GT.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I think they had a 9600 but it was about another $40-50. I figure if I was going cheap, I'd limit myself to $100. That's that much money I can later put into a top-end card.

Comment

Okay, well hopefully you have a nice 650/700 watt PSU and enough room in your case for a full-length card plus another 3 or so inches for the current/future high-end cards.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X