Microsoft shows a glimpse at the future of computing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft shows a glimpse at the future of computing

Just posted on Engadget, a pretty cool video with lots of things to drool over:

I liked the folding cellphone, full size color E-newspaper, all in 1 multi-purpose card, and a few others.

Also, the screen setup like the pic below needs to be on my desk by the end of the week, please!

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Microsoft shows a glimpse at the future of computing

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
    Just posted on Engadget, a pretty cool video with lots of things to drool over:

I liked the folding cellphone, full size color E-newspaper, all in 1 multi-purpose card, and a few others.

Also, the screen setup like the pic below needs to be on my desk by the end of the week, please!

The future according to Microsoft.

Resistance is futile...the computer industry will be assimilated.
    |TG| RoadWarrior

Comment

gotta love the digital age.

||||
      |TG-E49|Rough Sex Bomb

Comment

Hmm, I think we might only be a few years away from some of this stuff. I would love to have a even thinner computer display than the one in the picture, still have crisp colors, and it be touch-sensitive.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
          Hmm, I think we might only be a few years away from some of this stuff. I would love to have a even thinner computer display than the one in the picture, still have crisp colors, and it be touch-sensitive.
          Yeah where is OLED?

Comment

Originally posted by jmaker View Post
            Yeah where is OLED?
            Sony has one in one of their HDTV sets. The thing costs a few grand though, so it's not quite worth it even though the whole display is less than 1 mm thick (as in the OLED display panel, not including the electronics).

You should be able to find pictures of it on Sony's website and a short glimpse of it at Engadget. Think I posted about it before.

I could see that being applied to something like the above, but it would be nice if it was like PlasticLogic's e-reader where the display is flexible enough to be bent and twisted without worry of shattering the screen.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

A different view of the future of computing:

http://singularity.com/themovie/
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post

I take "predictions" like that with a grain of salt. It's like when the media was going on-and-on about artificial intelligence in the 60s and 70s and how by the early 80s we would have advanced AIs capable of conversing with humans and maybe even robots catering to our every need. Of course, that prediction was quite far off its mark.

Also scary thought: this movie might foretell the beginning of the Cylons. :row__733:
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Where do I put my computer tower? My pocket hopefully!

Comment

No iPhone in the Gates family's future:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...ke-iPhone.html
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Since I mentioned the OLED HDTV from Sony, here is the 11" Sony OLED HDTV on "sale" for $2500 at Sony's SonyStyle store.

Just imagine if they were to sell a 52" OLED HDTV. It would literally cost in excess of $10,000 and a few thousand of that would be for having the Sony name brand on the TV.

So one could imagine a 3-panel flexible and virtually indestructible OLED touchscreen equating to what you see on the guy's desk in the picture above. I'm guessing the use of some special glass and holographic tech would make the windows display possible. It'll cost all of a small fortune, though, so it's a heavy price to pay by early adopters.
                      Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 03-04-2009, 01:48 AM.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Two things.

Would somebody do something about the input devices. I want something as easy and portable as simple pencil and legal pad.

Second is I want the display to be where I look. I don't want to look at the display.
                        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                          Two things.

Would somebody do something about the input devices. I want something as easy and portable as simple pencil and legal pad.

Second is I want the display to be where I look. I don't want to look at the display.
                          I think that's in the next lifetime. The one where most of us are very old men (and/or dead old men). :row__585:
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post

Ray Kurzweil predicts that in the 2020s computers will be able to pass the Turing Test, and thus has strong AI. But very few philosophers of mind think that passing the Turing Test is sufficient evidence of strong AI.

Comment

i have learned that 99% of "glimpses" of computing future is so bunk and bogus... its not even worth hoping for... i see the dude at the desk with glass screens and just laugh... im supprised a flying car wasnt passing by ALA star wars