Tweak Vista for maximum gaming performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweak Vista for maximum gaming performance

This article was just posted yesterday, and looks like a good writeup. some of these are controversial though, so if you are about to do something major, you might want to ask for a 2nd opinion here, or google for some other thoughts.

Tweak Vista for maximum gaming performance

And please don't go hacking in your Reg if you don't know what your doing. It isn't hard, if you follow directions exactly from a good guide, but if something isn't exactly like the guide said, don't change it.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Tweak Vista for maximum gaming performance

skimming over that article.. i dont see anything that will add a huge increase in performance... disable uac is a standard move for me tho... just because its so GD annoying "are you sure u want to click your mouse"
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

The only thing in that list I would do (and already have done) is to disable the indexing service. I may also disable 8.3 names, although I may leave it on to test code I write against that system. (It cause problems when searching directories for filename patterns, finding files it shouldn't. That's from personal experience.)

I leave UAC enabled. I want to know when something wants to fiddle with my system settings. Yeah, it's an extra click, but I'm not changing my system config every time I twist in my chair. With luck, it's less than once a day, when I need to change hardware.
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I was getting the UAC every time I started up firefox. You only get it once a day?

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

other than evga precision and BF2142 I'm not sure I see UAC unless I'm installing something
          Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

So, this comes standard with Windows 8, yes?

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
              The only thing in that list I would do (and already have done) is to disable the indexing service.
              I found this interesting as according to Vista Help, you can't. The entry in the "turn features on/off " is put there for legacy reasons. See the Vista Help quote below:

Can I turn the Windows search index on or off?

No, but if you have Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) installed, you can pause the index for 15 minutes at a time. For more information about installing Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1), see Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1).

The Windows search index improves the efficiency of your searches by keeping track of file names and important file properties for most of the files stored on your computer. The index is what makes it possible for searches to take just a few seconds instead of several minutes. The index is always on, unless you pause it, because it is essential for fast searches.

When the index is running, it generally won't affect your computer's performance. When you make changes to files, however, the index quickly updates those changes, momentarily putting a small additional load on your computer's resources.
              If you open the turn features on and off in the Programs and Features function, move the mouse over the Indexing Services and a balloon appears stating it is there for backwards compatibility.

So...which is correct?? I have no idea.
              |TG| RoadWarrior

Comment

The only thing in that list I would do (and already have done) is to disable the indexing service.
                I don't think I've done that yet. Do you feel a performance increase at all?

I've turned off UAC completely, found it too annoying to have to click my mouse another few times when I'm installing/uninstalling a slew of programs.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The reason I've always turned indexing off, is that it runs continuously in the background, stealing CPU and disk cycles. You can't predict what load it will present to a game, so you get weird lag spikes.

I have the box unchecked in the features list. Perhaps I need to go disable the service, too.

I've not seen a UAC box with Firefox, except when running an installer. Are you keeping constantly-changing settings in the Program Files directory or in your own login profile? I'd bet you've got an addon that's not playing properly with the security model and is doing something naughty.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Actually, this was on a stock new laptop with the default install of Firefox. On my rig, I turned it off right away, but on my wifes I left it on, and it constantly came up. The wife complained so I turned it off.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                      Actually, this was on a stock new laptop with the default install of Firefox. On my rig, I turned it off right away, but on my wifes I left it on, and it constantly came up. The wife complained so I turned it off.
                      I couldn't leave it on my mother's machine either. She kept complaining about it that I had to disable UAC for her.

Originally posted by SMonkey
                      The reason I've always turned indexing off, is that it runs continuously in the background, stealing CPU and disk cycles. You can't predict what load it will present to a game, so you get weird lag spikes.

I have the box unchecked in the features list. Perhaps I need to go disable the service, too.
                      So once I turn it off, Windows won't be generating a new file listing when I use the built-in Vista Start Search?
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

it says disable aero effects but when u launch a game those shut off auto...

Comment

Originally posted by Cotton926 View Post
                          it says disable aero effects but when u launch a game those shut off auto...
                          It might be suggesting that if you run a game in windowed mode. Otherwise, Aero is automatically disabled in fullscreen games while you are playing them.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I hate band-aiding an annoyance without understanding it. I always try to chase problems to root cause, to deal with it once and for all. So I still have to wonder what was triggering UAC in a vanilla Firefox installation.

I rarely use the search feature in Windows. I pretty much know where everything is, or I have other tools that are good at searching for what I want. So indexing is of no value to me.

Comment

I hate band-aiding an annoyance without understanding it. I always try to chase problems to root cause, to deal with it once and for all. So I still have to wonder what was triggering UAC in a vanilla Firefox installation.

I rarely use the search feature in Windows. I pretty much know where everything is, or I have other tools that are good at searching for what I want. So indexing is of no value to me.
                              If it's a vanilla install, is the wife visiting a website that is trying to install a plugin or something into her browser/system?

Oh, well I do use it every so often and mostly to find small files that I can't remember where I placed them. Think I'll leave it on for the time being until I reorganize my files.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X