No announcement yet.

Help with IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor

Okay ive got a IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor, and i seem to be having real bad computer lag. When im listening to my music, if i have to many things open and running ill hear static, as soon as i end a few of the programs, it will stop... Odd i know...

Now hears my question. I was wondering where i can find some better Drivers/Overclocking programs for it...

I just reformatted my haddrives, so its not spyware/viruses.

Im running a IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor 2.4GHz
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 Processor 2.4GHz
    Driver Provider: Microsoft
    Driver Date: 7/1/2002
    Driver Version: 5.1.2600.0
    Digatal Signer: Microsoft Windows XP Publisher
    Any Newer drivers/Overclocking would be very helpful.
    All my other computer hardware/software is updated... I even got new drivers for my NIC card...

Re: Help with IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor

Are you legitamately getting computer lag, or is your problem just static during audio playback with too many apps?

What are your exact problems? More detail you can provide the better.

The Muffin Man

Okay, when i go to start a program, for example, firefox, my computer hangs, then all of a sudden it opens.

I got to close it, my computer hangs, then all of a sudden its gone. Same with IE, Windows Explorer, Winamp... ect.

I noticed real bad lag while playing my games, I used to be able to get 100 FPS in Natural Selection, now im happy getting 60, in HL2 i rarly go over 30, and my settings are lower than what they were when i got 80 FPS...
      IE HL2 was on 1280*1024 with high textures/model details, and everything else off (And got 60-80 FPS) Now, with 1024*768 Low Textures/Models and everything else off, i get 5-30 fps...

I tryed to use google to find new drivers, but i cant find anything that seems legit.

Misc things that i notice, startup times are double then before i reformatted. And i have nothing that starts up (msconfig/services.msc)

Yes, my gfx card is working correctly, because, well, ive got the newest drivers...

Post your full system specs, please.
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

get an amd.

you can send me your intel....I can dispose of it properly.

there are not really drivers for a processor.... there are, but they do not get updated....
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

So everything is exactly the same (hardware wise) as it was before you formatted?

Let's start here, what kind of motherboard, vid card, sound card, in your computer?

What software do you have installed? What OS?

The Muffin Man

Heres everything, kinda long...

Software Information
              Operating System : Windows XP Home Edition (5.01.2600 Service Pack 1)
              DirectX : DirectX 9.0c

Hardware Information
              CPU : 2400 MHz
              Bus Speed : 533 MHz
              Motherboard : Dell
              System : Dell Dimension 8250
              BIOS : Dell A01
              Memory : 510 MB
              Sound : Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit
              Video : NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500

Programs Installed
              ACE Mega Codecs pack
              AOL Instant Messanger
              Avast! Antivirus
              BCm V.92 56k Modem
              Canon S200
              Creative System Infromation
              Dell ResourceCD
              DFX For Winamp -Must have, makes everthing sound much better
              DIMIN Hotkeys
              Deskeeper Pro Edition
              IconPackager 2.5h
              Intel Application Accelerator -It Did inprove my app launch speed, a little
              Intel(R) Pro Ethernet Adapter And Software
              Microsoft Antispyware
              Mozilla Firefox (1.0.1) -Really slow and buggie
              Nero 6 Ultra Edition
              nVidia Drivers
              Palfun 6.6.5
              Sigamp For winamp 1.0
              Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit
              Tweak UI
              Viewpoint Media Player
              Winamp -Duh!!!
              Windows Media Format Runtime
              Windows Media Player 10
              Windows XP hotfix - KB842773 -Maxblaster/other virus fix/removal tool

I think thats everything, id add my drivers for everyting, but thats like another 4 or 5 pages...

Well, my first question is, why are you trying to overclock? You could have overclocked too much and damaged the cpu, and are now getting the reprecussions. Do you have any temp gages on your system where you can watch your temp from windows? If not, I recomend doing so. is a good general monitor for all types of boards etc. If you are running anything above 55C, you're getting warm, but you shouldn't notice any problems until you're over 70C usually. If you have overdone it in the past though, you can start to have problems as low as 50C.

Also, did you use Firefox as an example, or is that your most prominent problem? I have found Firefox to be a hugely problematic program. Same thing with WindowBlinds. Nothing but problems with it, and it produces no true benefits other than making things pretty.

Just because it's a freshly formatted system doesn't mean it is spyware free. Download the newest AdAware and defs and make sure to run them. Also, Avast has been known to miss some viruses from time to time, you might want to run a free scan from just to make sure you don't have a virus (yes, it could have been transfered back to your system after the reformat when you restored your backed up data.

I want that motherboard thing so bad, to bad it doesnt support my mobo, dell deminsion 8250.

Anyway, i havent overclocked yet. I wanted to but now that i look at the dangers, its not worth it... Till i get another computer, witch might be soon if my computer stays like this...

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed