external hardrive help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• external hardrive help

my WD external hardrive has stopped spining up when first connected, im using the cable it came with and it suddenly stopped after taking it out from my laptop.

roblem:
    The WD Passport drive (My Passport for Mac, My Passport Elite, My Passport Studio, My Passport Essential, WD Passport Pocket, or WD Passport) does not spin up, tries to spin but clicks, or is not recognized when it is connected to a USB port.

Cause:
    There may not be enough power currently supplied to the machine's USB port. Some computer systems only supply 500mA of power through USB ports. The WD Passport hard drive requires a little over 1000mA of power at spin up.

Solution:
    Try the Passport drive on another USB port or another computer. If the Passport drive is connected to a USB hub, try connecting it directly to the computer's USB port. If the drive is connected to a PCMCIA (PC Card) on a notebook computer, the drive may only function properly if you power it with the optional power adapter (Silver Passport) or a USB 2.0 Power Booster Cable (Black or Colored Passport). If you decide to use a third-party USB cable to connect the drive to the computer, the cable may not be able to transfer enough power to the drive (This includes USB "reel" cables and extension cables). Western Digital offers an optional power adaptor and an optional USB 2.0 Power Booster cable (the USB 2.0 Power Booster cable has two USB connectors that plug into the computer instead of one) through our Online Store.
    this is from the wd website, it doesnt help. anyone know what i can do to fix it?

Re: external hardrive help

have you tried opening the HDD case to see if there's any loose cables?

||||
    |TG-E49|Rough Sex Bomb

Comment

Slowly spin the hard drive around-and-around and listen for any clack or click noises. If there are some, then most likely the needle and/or one or more platters inside shattered/broke.

Otherwise, does your external HDD have a firewire port you can test it with on another computer?
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Is this the western digital passport? If it is, it doesn't look easy to take apart and there's only the one mini usb connector.

I've always been worried about mine because when I unplug it, it makes this whining sound. Probably nothing to worry about.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

The Passport Studio version has both USB 2.0 and Firewire 400/800 ports. If you have one of those, then you could easily use the Firewire port instead of the USB to rule out whether or not the port has gone bad.

I currently have a WD MyBook Home Edition (500 GB) connected via Firewire 400. I don't ever move it (unless I'm dusting) and besides a loud write/seek noises, I haven't heard anything concerning from it yet. I'm crossing my fingers it doesn't just poop on me like my last WD internal IDE drive.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

i probably whould have made it more clear, i have a passport, so it only has its usb b mini connection, and taking the case apart is a bit of a bitch

Comment

go to the store you bought it from and tell them you would like a new one because it isnt functioning.. Not sure how the guarantie works on external HDDs. If you do however open the actual case, you can say goodbye to the guarantie ( if there ever was one ).

||||
              |TG-E49|Rough Sex Bomb

Comment

If you still have the original purchase receipt, then make a copy of it and then call up Western Digital Tech Support to request a RMA for your external HDD.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                  If you still have the original purchase receipt, then make a copy of it and then call up Western Digital Tech Support to request a RMA for your external HDD.
                  that would be a good idea, 2 problems, i bought it on ebay (yes i know)
                  and 2 an RMA for me qould cost an absolute fortune

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X