Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i7 build - could use any advise

Repost from 9th IHS:

So I recently got 1/2 of a PC upgrade as some know with the idea that I will soon finish it. That time has come sooner than I thought, if anyone has any ideas I would like some feed back on anything I am missing.

1st off I have never built a PC that works, the only one I made had some bad beans with the IRQ's and eventualy was thrown out and a new one gotten. Since then things are a lot more plug and play friendly. It is because of that I want to hear some feed back.

First I got some upgrades from my local PC store and had them install them on my old MOBO (a pentium D CPU)

From the old case I will be saveing:

- 8GB DDR2 2 channel (I think 800mhz) (the new case can take 3 channel but not likely to upgrade for a long time.)
    - Saphire 4870 1GB DDR5 (one card)
    - PSU 650 watt liberty (not high end any more but should be ok total power I think)
    - DVD/RW
    - 1TB HDD & 68 GB raptor HDD

So I will be building a i7 based PC, I ordered today:

- Antec Twelve Hundred case
    - MSI X58 PRO i7 LGA 1366 (with Drmoss power saveing)
    - i7 920 2.66 ghz CPU
    - Cool Master V10 cooler
    - 12 inches EPS12V 8 Pin Male to Female Cable (only one I may need with PSU on the bottom of case, sata power are huge 21" ones)
    - thermal paste (*3)
    - anti-static bracelet w/ strap
    - Thermaltake CL-C0034 north bridge cooler

For the momment the fans will be stock and I will not be filling any of the extra empty fan slots but I may soon if needed. I intend to do some OCing but not to go crazy.

Did I miss any parts or anything, any sudgestions to make it go smother?

I am not too familar with Vista 64, I just had a new install, when I put the HDD in with the MOBO will it require a new install with a wipe of the HDD?

Thanks in advnace for any help.
    sigpic

Re: i7 build - could use any advise

I may be mistaken, but I am not sure you will be able to reuse the memory.

Comment

eep ... may need to upgrade it sooner than I wanted to =/

I gotta look into some specs
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by machowner View Post
        I may be mistaken, but I am not sure you will be able to reuse the memory.
        you are saddly correct, X58 boards atm only use DDR3 tripple channel ram

Different pins and .4v less power

www.hardwarecanucks.com

So I need to get some DDR3 now or I just invested in rather expensive papper weights.
        sigpic

Comment

Your going to need to get new memory as well, as the i7 requires DDR3 memory

Comment

If you look back over the last 3-4 pages in this forum, I posted an article with a good review of i7 ram kits. I think the OCZ won because of the cost, but the Corsair was really good. And I like the Corsair warrenty and RMA (have used it).

Also, as posted in that other thread you posted in,
            http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...ml#post1227401

They may not have taken that into account in the review, so it may change things.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

My options are kinda limited where I live, I just ordered 2 X 6GB kits through ebay at a fairly good price. So I will have 12 GB of DDR3-1600. Now if I can only live long enough to use it for a while.

Saddly I think my condition is terminal and I may not last till the ram gets here and I get it instaled and running. I have a bad case of wifegonakillyouinyousleepforgettingcrazyraminthemi ddleofthenightandburryyourbodydeepbutmanwillallthe otherhousewivesbejelousofherkrazzyleetChuzzelgamei ngrig-itice

If I dont make it to the bench marks its been nice knowing everyone.

PS WTS 8FNGB of now usless papper weights er 800 mhz dual channel ram.
              sigpic

Comment

You may want to take a look at your new Motherboard's product page: http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p...8_Pro&class=mb - The supported Memory Brands are on the menu at the left of the page - to be sure the memory you ordered is supported.

Some mobos don't work well with non-supported RAM. Of course there are exeptions as memory companies try to use default settings to apease all mobo manufacturers.

That case you chose (Antec Twelve Hundred) is really nice!

Good luck with the Mrs. :icon_lol: Remember, there are two p's in Zippy for your estate will... I'll take good care of those computer parts for you:icon12:

:icon_frow
                |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
                sigpic

Comment

You bought ram from Ebay?????????????
                  How are you going to get warranty service on it. Having 6 sticks of ram means the chances of something happening will be even higher.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy-2-War View Post
                    You may want to take a look at your new Motherboard's product page: http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p...8_Pro&class=mb - The supported Memory Brands are on the menu at the left of the page - to be sure the memory you ordered is supported.

Some mobos don't work well with non-supported RAM. Of course there are exeptions as memory companies try to use default settings to apease all mobo manufacturers.

That case you chose (Antec Twelve Hundred) is really nice!

Good luck with the Mrs. :icon_lol: Remember, there are two p's in Zippy for your estate will... I'll take good care of those computer parts for you:icon12:
                    I just HOPE that the 1200 fits the v10 with room to add an after market door fan.

I checked the ram speed and your right it is not supported but it lists 1600 as doable as over clocked. Since the ram is 1600 and the board is the only thing that I need to worry about I dont think it will be too much of a problem, after all it list's the ram speed 6.4 gb/sec so I think it can get that high. I just may not be able to OC it too muchpast there.

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?f...d_no=1744#menu

The best ram around here is $67 per 2GB stick for just DDR2 667mhz if I wanted to special order 6 X DDR3 - 1600 I would likely pay over 800 bucks mabey even $1000 even the DDR 2 - 1000mhz 2 channel X 4 2gb sticks would of cost me 550-600 bucks (BTW ALL IN CANADIAN FUNDS NOT USD).

As it stands I paied under 400 Canadian so I can aford to get another 3 sticks for what I would of paied not to mention that I have 7 days to return them if there is a problem. I hope to get the new PC built next week and do a ram test, I may not have enough parts to do so though.

Something neat I found in the manual lists that you can can have any number of ram sticks in it from 1-6 but that if you only have 1 stick in your in single channel mode, if you have 2 in your in dual channel mode and 3-6 gives you 3 channel mode.
                    sigpic

Comment

After opening up my case I noticed that I will need to get a sata DVD as the one I have is eIDE and I want it to be sata for air flow management.

Oh just remebered I need some coffee filters and rubbing alcohol.

I will be posting some picks of the build and a review of the components and if things go well a review the OCing.
                      sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X