need some help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some help

Well im basicly building a computer from scratch but i could use some advice.

Here are some computer parts im getting http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186165 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814140095 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817338009

Ok im obliviously replacing basically every part of my computer except the IDE dvd and cd drives and getting a os disk but i have 2 remaining concerns.

1.There is a power cable of some kind that connects from the power button to the mother board im not sure if it will fit on the new mother board

2. is 256MB memory enough for battlefield 2142? Ill probably going to put textures lighting and terrain on medium when i get the new parts.

Note the current case im using is a dimension 3000 case i really dont feel like replacing it if i dont have to.

I copyed this from another section it was in the wrong one.
    Last edited by Dengoru; 03-07-2009, 05:19 PM.
    |TG-Irr|CrazyDengoru
    Yes i watch and read mlp:fim related videos and fanfics. Problem?
    sigpic
    Steam ID: CrazyDengoru

Re: need some help

Welcome to the forums.
    First up, your links to newegg arn't working. That sometimes happens when you copy and paste.

Next up, I would really consider replacing the IDE drives with SATA models. An SATA DVD-Rom is less than $20, and a burner is as cheap as $25.

The other questions I can't answer till I see your links, but I will say Dell cases can sometimes not accept upgrades well.

Updates your links and well look at it.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

the cables from the button to the mobo are PRETTY MUCH universal, you might need to hack it a little though.

the power supply in that case is most likely not going to be enough (or have the right connections) for a modern build.

also, I hope you mean 256megs of video ram... b/c bf needs 2gig of system memory minimum to play decent, 4 or 8 gigs is better. as for video card - since none of your links are working, I would not be able to answer without knowing the video card. it is borderline, but possible. (a GF 7300 would probably not work, but a gf 9400 should)
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

yea sorry about that they should work now

And yes i mean video memory. Im getting new ram as well with the mobo probably ether 2gig or 4 gigs
        |TG-Irr|CrazyDengoru
        sigpic

Comment

I would strongly recommend a 512 MB video card still.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
            Next up, I would really consider replacing the IDE drives with SATA models. An SATA DVD-Rom is less than $20, and a burner is as cheap as $25.
            SATA drives don't hinder airflow in a computer as much as the older PATA drives (aka IDE). The better airflow alone is worth the upgrade especially since you are building a new rig.

Originally posted by FL1Pmode View Post
            I would strongly recommend a 512 MB video card still.
            I also recommend this. Gameplay nowadays is better off with a 512 MB graphics card as it'll provide you with higher framerates and better overall performance. This is because the 512 MB cards usually use GDDR3 (faster memory) and a higher GPU core clock (faster) than 256 MB cards.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

First off what is your budget? Then we can move on from there.
              You can build a decent computer for ~$600-$700 to play BF2142.

If you're reusing the Dell, what are the specs for it? All I had to do with my old Dimension 8300 (P4 w/ HT) was upgrade the ram to 1.5gig and a newer video card. And it ran like a champ on medium graphics.

Comment

www.gpureview.com
                for the gfx card ... they sudgest a nVidia GeForce 9600 GT at the price point your at now I kinda like the Radion 4850 it is 5 bucks cheeper and has twice the ram. If you can aford it get the 4870 with 1 gig of ram they just droped them to 126 bucks for the 512 meg one and 189 for the 1 gig one. Dont use Newegg though they can have good prices but the link above checks a lot of different stores at the same time and then lists them lowest to highest under the page for the cards.

need PSU?

PSU power requirement finder

If you think you will be able to upgrade your ram in not too long then I would sudgest that you get less of that and a better CPU/GPU because if you upgrade the ram there is no lost money if you upgrade the GFX because it is outdated before you got it then it is a compelete waste of money. A 4870 you could reasonable use for the next few years and do ok even the 4850 would have a fairly long life but the one you chose would likely be lacking from the start.
                sigpic

Comment

It also depends on what games you plan on playing on your pc. If you just stick to BF2142, the 9600 GT/4850 512 mb cards will suit you just fine.

Comment

I have a ASUS Radeon HD 4850 512MB and I play BF2142 maxed out with NO problems. When I switched to this card it was like a whole new game. Then I added my HD 19" and again it was like a whole new game!

Comment

Here is a decent build, on the cheap end to play BF2142 (and it has the 1GB card) $592 then it has $45 in M.I.R.:

Comment

after checking extreme power im preety sure the psu i listed can handle the load

Still a bit concerned about the new mobo working on my current case.

Oh and my budget is about 300$ to about 400$ maybe more im getting these parts in a few months so i might have more money by then
                        |TG-Irr|CrazyDengoru
                        sigpic

Comment

In the interest of future upgrades, you really should consider buying a new case. Even a $50 full size case so you could buy an ATX motherboard would let you have more options, and less worry of not being able to fit a current gfx. card, most of which are pretty long.
                          I'm helping a friend build with this combo deal right now:
                          http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.173001
                          $260 after rebates for something that is going to last for years.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

allright 1 and a half weeks before i get my computer. ive made sure everything was compatible aside from.. the case and mobo.. which i changed a few times. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119115 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186143

Dont ask me to change the hard drive that came with my dimension 3000 case.. certain circumstances happened and i dont have the money to get a new one atm

Note: i already know this is a epic grave dig but its my thread so..eh
                            |TG-Irr|CrazyDengoru
                            sigpic

Comment

So wait, you are going with AMD now?
                              And you are getting a micro ATX motherboard?

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X