Acreo's Black ASUS 1000HE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acreo's Black ASUS 1000HE

I just got my black 1000HE earlier today and have been spending time getting acquainted with her. :)

I'm posting below a bunch of pictures from my unboxing of the machine and proof that I have the netbook. I apologize for the lower lighting condition of the photgraphs and the blurriness of the last picture. All of these were taken using my Kodak Z712 IS (now with a Lithium-Ion battery) and a giddy-nervous-excitedly shaking hand. :p

Oh, and I upgraded the RAM to 2 GBs before I even started her up the first time.

I will post a in-depth review (as one lengthy image) of it later next week when I've had more time to test the 9.5 hour battery life claim and room to do a side-by-side comparison to my Acer Aspire One.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Acreo's Black ASUS 1000HE

thats a sweet little machine. looking forward to the review
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

This is probably the most serious contender for my money in the Netbook market.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

Any better than the AAO?

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
          Any better than the AAO?
          Enough that I think getting the 1000HE is worth it. The larger cap battery, larger screen, and easy access to RAM + HDD more than make up for the $400 I paid for the netbook and a 2 GB module of RAM. I'll give a more detailed explanation when I write up my review.

So far, I ran most of one day using the netbook on Auto Power Saving mode and got about 6.2 hours of battery life out of it (CPU was at 40% usage or higher and plenty of HDD activity most of the time).
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I've had one of these for a month or so and love it. My wife loves it too. I have it connecting to our wireless network at home for storage of documents and accessing the media library and it just works.

So Impressed that I've bought a few for work - the latest office we're setting up, each member of staff will have one of these so they can take it with them when they're out and about (accessing our network via a USB broadband stick and secure citrix connection). shame there isn't a cheap docking station to go with them, as it is they'll have to plug in full size monitor, mouse and keyboard for extended working whilst at their desk.

hi-jack over ;)

Comment

Zhoed, it's good to hear varied feedback from others. Much appreciated! :)

It's nice to see businesses adopting these machines as mobile work computers for their employees. Have you gotten any complaints from your employees?
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Acreo, how's it feel after a few more days of loving attention?

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

It feels pretty good. The keyboard has better spacing, though I find the "flat" feel and the somewhat-stiffy keys not so great when I'm touch typing. I prefer lightweight keys that don't require much force.

Otherwise, wireless is pretty much the same as on my AA1. I haven't connected to any N networks so I couldn't tell you how well it performs limited to the 2.4 GHz band. Bluetooth works fine. I've managed to connect a Samsung WEP200 headset to it and my cell phone.

I find the trackpad keys a bit hard to press and instead of going straight down, the key goes sort of backwards at an angle. The trackpad itself has gestures, but I still haven't gotten the two-finger zoom to work, but I did manage to scroll a few pages with the two finger gesture.

Temp wise, I haven't seen her go beyond 35 C at all (going off of CoreTemp (0.99.4).

The power button and the other silver keys in that area above the function keys are also hard to press. I find I have to use the tip of my finger and my nail to get the button depressed. Again, not a swift and smooth depression. The placement of the right-shift key is good, but could use a full-length instead of half-length.

The blue LEDs are nice, especially the ones in front (by the trackpad buttons). I like not having to flip her open to see if she went into standby and didn't come out of it all of a sudden.

A lot more I could write down here, but I'm starting to digress and it's becoming jumbled. So just give me a day or so to type up my review and it'll all be neat and readable with pictures to point stuff out, and maybe even a video (if I'm not too shy).
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Does this laptop use DDR2 800 or DDR2 667?

Edit: It uses DDR2 667
                    Last edited by Damonte; 03-15-2009, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                      Zhoed, it's good to hear varied feedback from others. Much appreciated! :)

It's nice to see businesses adopting these machines as mobile work computers for their employees. Have you gotten any complaints from your employees?

no complaints yet - for a trial we tried some of these and some of the 901s - pretty much everyone who had a 901 thought it was a good idea, but it was just too small.

We're setting up an office at the end of this month with 25 of the 10inch models, so we'll see how that goes.

Comment

Damonte just bought his, along with a 2GB OCZ memory upgrade

$413 shipped.

Comment

I hope you enjoy yours Damonte. :) Now you can stop using 3rd person mode. ;)
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Damonte's 1000HE arrived today. So far, very impressive.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X