Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

x58 chipset only good for 1333 memory or slower?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• x58 chipset only good for 1333 memory or slower?

After learning that the MSI x58 mother board I ordered can only do 1600+ memory speeds as an OC I looked around what can and what can not do 1600+ as a non OC and it seems that all the major MB's need to OC to get to 1600+ memory speeds.

I checked ASUS, MSI, DFI and none of there high end gameing MB's can do native 1600, Foxconn lists 1800 as OC and and Gigabyte is listing as tested up to 2000 but only with one stick.

Anyone know whats up with this?

Is this just newness or something else? I know there are PC's out there useing the 1600+ but how stable are they?
    sigpic

Re: x58 chipset only good for 1333 memory or slower?

I just posted articles about i7 and memory recently, and I now there are some other older threads. 1600 isn't officially support by intel even, so technically no boards support it officially. But as the articles point out, you can still run it when you overclock. No way around it.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

well all the retail i7's have unlocked memory multipliers so speeding up your ram should not be an issue as long as its not over 1.65v
      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea...nally_reported

If you read the above article that Bamboo posted you will see that you can actually get 1600 ram running at that speed without overclocking your cpu!
        So if your ram is meant to run at 1600 and you get it to run at it's rated speed there should be no problem.
        Last edited by MrMojay; 03-10-2009, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X