New Headset?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Headset?

I am kind of stuck on whether I should wait for the Razer Megalodon 7.1 or buy the Razer Barracuda 5.1.

If not either of those I am up for suggestions. Possibly one of you have the Barracuda or something similar I could consider purchasing.

I also noticed the Barracuda has that tiny microphone which I do not care for.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix

And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are. ~ Plato

Re: New Headset?

Did you notice those are both USB?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

the barracuda is not USB... it pulls power from usb, but uses 4 3.5mm (3 for audio.. 1 for mic) i have one and its 2 years strong now... will be buying a megalodon when it comes out tho.. i would wait for the mega... its only a month away or so...
      powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

I don't mind using Usb.

If you check the mini site on the Megalodon it says it will be "Coming soon at the end of Q2 2009" I don't know for sure but that sounds like it will be out at the end of May.

Maybe it would be worth while getting a Carcharias to sell to my brother when the Megalodon comes out. He did in fact break my current headset, dirty little ****.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix

And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are. ~ Plato

Comment

Newegg shell shocker has the Barracuda on sale for $69.99 here:

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Extinct View Post
            Maybe it would be worth while getting a Carcharias to sell to my brother when the Megalodon comes out. He did in fact break my current headset, dirty little ****.
            I 'm thinking of buying the Carcharias, I think it looks really slick and I 've read some good things about it. My current headphone is partly broken (USB bass boost goes crazy and almost deafened me one day and one of the ears loses sound half the time). Don't want to spend more than 100$ on a headset and I think the Carcharias looks best of all 3.

Anyone has any experience with it?
            Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

I use the cyber snipa sonar 5.1 there a great head set and are the best value for money around but I am in Australia so you probably get more and better variety in the states
              http://www.cybersnipa.com/
              But there worth a look

Only the dead have seen the end of war

Plato

Comment

Originally posted by Wookiie View Post
                I use the cyber snipa sonar 5.1 there a great head set and are the best value for money around but I am in Australia so you probably get more and better variety in the states
                http://www.cybersnipa.com/
                But there worth a look
                I like the price but not the colour... and we all know how important it is to look good when gaming :).

The only two things holding me back to get the Carcharias are the price and the fact that it doesn't have surround sound.

Comment

Hello to all.

I'm also thinking of buying a headset, I own a Pioneer SE-4000 headphones and a cheap headset on the neck for the microphone. What I'm looking for, is something that offers me the same quality of the Pioneer and as cheap as possible...

Currently I've this ones on my "wishlist":

SteelSeries SteelSound 4H - 46€

Headphones
                  - Frequency response: 16 - 28.000 Hz
                  - Impedance: 40 Ohm
                  - [email protected] 1kHz, 1 Vrms: 110 dB

Microphone
                  - Frequency response: 75 - 16.000 Hz
                  - Pick up pattern: Uni-directional
                  - Sensitivity: -38dB
                  - Impedance: 2K Ohm

SENNHEISER PC151 - 48€

Headphone
                  Nominal impedance 32 Ohm
                  Frequency response (headphones) 18.....22000 Hz
                  Sound pressure level (SPL) 114 dB(SPL)

Microphone
                  Frequency response 80.....15000 Hz

Creative Headset HS-950 - 43€

# Headphones
                  * Driver: 40mm Neodymium magnet
                  * Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz
                  * Impedance: 32ohms
                  * Sensitivity (1kHz): 105dB/mW

# Microphone
                  * Noise Cancelling Condenser
                  * Frequency Response: 100Hz ~ 16kHz
                  * Impedance: < 2.2 kohms
                  * Sensitivity (1kHz): -42 dBV/Pa

NOTE: I use the on-board sound card, Realtek HD1200.

Any help that you guys can give me is welcome, I really don't have any clue on what is good and what's not.
                  sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

You have anything that isn't 5 times bigger than my head, my head set is crapping out and i need a new one.
                    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge.PT View Post
                      Hello to all.

I'm also thinking of buying a headset, I own a Pioneer SE-4000 headphones and a cheap headset on the neck for the microphone. What I'm looking for, is something that offers me the same quality of the Pioneer and as cheap as possible...

Currently I've this ones on my "wishlist":

SteelSeries SteelSound 4H - 46€

Headphones
                      - Frequency response: 16 - 28.000 Hz
                      - Impedance: 40 Ohm
                      - [email protected] 1kHz, 1 Vrms: 110 dB

Microphone
                      - Frequency response: 75 - 16.000 Hz
                      - Pick up pattern: Uni-directional
                      - Sensitivity: -38dB
                      - Impedance: 2K Ohm
                      I 've read good stuff about the 5H V2. Any specific reason the 4H is on your wishlist in stead of the 5H V2?

http://www.steelseries.com/int/produ...v2/information

I have about a month left to decide (for my BD) and I 'm doubting between the above one and the Razer Carcharias.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost Dog View Post
                        I 've read good stuff about the 5H V2. Any specific reason the 4H is on your wishlist in stead of the 5H V2?

http://www.steelseries.com/int/produ...v2/information

I have about a month left to decide (for my BD) and I 'm doubting between the above one and the Razer Carcharias.
                        Only the price Ghost Dog... It cost more 20 than the 4H, and it seems they are identical, less the 5.1 sound.

Any one else can give me a advise?
                        sigpic

Comment

@Jorge.PT
                          Since you asked in the Vista Service Pack thread, I will throw in my 2 cents..........
                          First, you say you are using your on board sound, but with what motherboard? Do you have multiple jacks in the back so you can do 5.1 surround? Or do you just have the 2 jacks, one for sound and one for mic?

As for the 3 you listed above, I would probably dump the Creative right away since it is USB connected. As for the other 2, I would look around for some reviews from both tech sites as well as other buyers. Here is the steelseries on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...eelSeries%204H

They don't carry the exact model of Sennheiser, but a lot of the other ones get good reviews:
                          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...rchResult=True

I know you can't buy from Newegg, but reviews are universal :D

I do like that the Steelseries has links on their site to reviews
                          http://www.steelseries.com/int/produ...dio/4h/reviews

Personally, I would pay attention to sound quality only up to a certain point. All the crap about Frequency response and stuff doesn't matter at all if they aren't comfortable, and people tend to forget that. You could have perfect sounding headphones, but if you can't play more than 30 mins without your ears burning/sweating/going to sleep/etc, they are a waste of money. That is why reading reviews from people that have used them for a while is more important to me than reading a tech review on a site with all the technical details, though some sites do talk about the comfort aspect.

The other thing that gets me annoyed is some of the headsets I've had in the past that had a mute button, but it's all about placement. Great idea in theory, but if they put the button right where it accidentally gets hit constantly like right between your arm and rib cage, it will piss you off to no end. My logitech's did that, and I'll be calling out contact reports to my squad mates and nobody is turning to engage and we all get killed, only to find out 20 mins. later my mic is muted. :(

Only other bit of advice is, if you do have 5.1 surround on your motherboard, or you think you might get around to dropping $80 on an aftermarket soundcard, it might be worth it to save up a little longer and get a really good headset with REAL 5.1. I'm talking each cup actually has multiple speakers. I spent $100 on my headsets, and I sat there on the checkout/shopping cart page for ever trying to decide if I really should do it or not. I really did fight with the decision, because I had a good $30 Logitech headset I was already using. I took the plunge, and OH MY GOD it was worth it. I can hear everything in game, and know exactly where it is coming from. In PR on the map with the dam (blanking on the name), if I'm US and at the dam, I can hear when the APCs crank up at the MEC main. On Kashan, I hear choppers coming long before I could with my Logitech. And I really think the sounds in PR kind of suck. I remember playing FarCry and some other games and you could hear footsteps really well. If you had better headsets than the other guy, you had the advantage. I had decent ones, and I know I caused a few folks to poop their pants when I jumped out of a bush or a tunnel and knifed them. Sound can make as big a difference in some games as the graphics in my opinion.

By the way, a few months ago my headphones broke (the headband snapped somehow), and I called and got a RMA and sent them in. While waiting, I had to use the Logitech again, and I couldn't believe how horrible everything sounded. I think I even posted about it here in the forums, like "you don't know what you have till it's gone" sort of thing. So make sure who ever you buy from has a top notch return/repair policy, and that people who have done returns say the process was good/easy/fast. I have to say logitech may make some cheap stuff sometimes,

So you get what you pay for, but not everyone can spend that much on headphones when maybe $100 would be much better on a new gfx. card.

Actually, I do have one more thing. One way that many folks kill their headphones is by the cord getting pulled just 1 to many times right where it connects to the headset. I lost my first 3 headsets like that, where like a wheel from my chair might have accidently rolled over it and when I sat up real quick (hey, zombies scare the crap out of me :D), it would pull on the cord. Good thing is Logitech was really good about replacing my broken ones. But then I figured out I could just tie a little knot in the cord and that way if it got pulled, it would not actually pull on the connection. I posted this pic a long time ago when I first came to TG I think, but figured I would post it again for new guys. Works really well, and haven't had another broken headset from pulled wiring since.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Bamboo, would you mind telling us what headset you use now? I 'm really interested in a good, comfortable 5.1 headset.

The Carcharias and 5HV2 are both reviewed as very comfortable headsets with good sound, but I 'd rather have a 5.1 headset since I have an onboard soundcard to support it.

Thx for info.

Comment

Great reading bamboo, thank you for your input.

I do have a 5.1 capable motherboard, but from what i understand most of the headsets that are 5.1 just simulate it, I'm going to search more of them as you advised.

Since comfort is something I'm looking for, I believe that the steelseries are the ones to go for (I've big hears :) )

Thanks again bamboo.
                              PS: Ghost Dog, if you buy the 5H, please leave some feedback about them here.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...