Graphics card temperature

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphics card temperature

So i recently built a new computer and it was my first time.

AMD Phenon II x4 3.0GHZ
    Asus M4A78 PRO
    Asus ATI 4870 1GB
    Corsair 850W PSU
    OCZ 2X2GB memory

I installed SmartDoctor by ASUS and it says my 4870 card is running at 39-41 Celsius . Is this actually good or bad?

Re: Graphics card temperature

That's fine. It's only bad once it gets past 90 in my experiences and is really, really bad once you go past 105 C (melting bad).
    If those are your idle temperatures they are still perfectly normal.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
    In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Oh thank you because i kept tweaking around with the fan before so itll be quieter and im having the fan run at 40% right now, just wondering bout the temperate later when loading games because ive always had it on auto and it seemed a bit too loud.

Comment

40 C on idle is actually really good (at least compared to last gen cards). Generally most gaming-grade cards will heat to upwards of 70-80 C depending on the temp of air outside of the case and ambient case temperature.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

mine runs at around 30 idle and 44-50 at full burn

but then I have an antec 900 and the GPU is cooled witha duo orb so it cant get much better it terms of colling power

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
          The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

I have a stock 4870 and mine hovers around 45c with a light load but my case fans are stuck in full on postion.
            sigpic

Comment

dual 8800gt's and I idle at 40c....in game I hover at 50-51c....your good :)
              "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I haven't been able to check mines on load, but my 8800GT SC hovers at around 50 C on idle with my case fans on low.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

my gtx 260 runs arounds 70 on full load and 40-50 in idle. I think you're perfectly fine.

- -

Comment

My 8800GT idles at 32, can hit up to 39 when loaded....

Haha yay watercooling!

Before I installed my loop, I usually ran the card at 100% full fan when gaming, and would probably hit 50s-ish. I didn't do that when I first got it, and saw it hit 90C one day, kinda scary.

Comment

the 4870s sometimes run hot, especially with the reference cooler design, and the fan comes at rather high temperatures and at conservative speeds.

I manually control the fan on mine, and keep it at 25% idle, and underclocked 100/100, when I play a game I bump it back to stock and run the fan at about 34-36% At that point you start to hear it, but it isn't intrusive.

Once summer rolls around, I'm sure I'll be back to running it around 45-50%.
                      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                        40 C on idle is actually really good (at least compared to last gen cards). Generally most gaming-grade cards will heat to upwards of 70-80 C depending on the temp of air outside of the case and ambient case temperature.
                        My desk is right next to a heater >< but i think my Guardian 921 can bring some fresh air inside.

Comment

Originally posted by aznsorjaix View Post
                          My desk is right next to a heater >< but i think my Guardian 921 can bring some fresh air inside.
                          As long as your case isn't sucking in the warm air by the heater, your card temps shouldn't jump beyond 80 C.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Just afraid it jumping to like 55 cause it jumped to 48 just before ><.

I also got these like probes on my Guardian 921 to monitor the temps in my parts. How do i get them to work? The probs are like a little thin strip thats all but i dont know how to get them in. Dont really want to ruin the parts.

Comment

You don't need to use those probes since they aren't very accurate. Most hardware nowadays have specialized chips that monitor GPU and CPU temperatures. Tools like SpeedFan will read the temperatures from this specialized chip (will give you temp for HDD, CPU, GFX GPU, etc.).
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X