10 Free Software to Mount CD or DVD ISO Image File as Virtual Drives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Free Software to Mount CD or DVD ISO Image File as Virtual Drives

Pretty good writeup on programs that let you mount images.
    I just started using one so I don't have to keep my BF2 disk in all the time, since I play it all the time and the disk is looking old.

10 Free Software to Mount CD or DVD ISO Image File as Virtual Drives

BF2 does seem to start up quicker too.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: 10 Free Software to Mount CD or DVD ISO Image File as Virtual Drives

MagicDisc all the way.

I had some issues with DaemonTools in the past.

Edit: Fun to see that DT is not even on the list.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
    The BigC

Comment

Alcohol has always worked flawlessly for me. Helped me create a Windows "slipstream" install disk too! Glad it was mentioned.
      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Been using Daemon tools for a while here.

POE2 Developer

Comment

Originally posted by Xmaster View Post
          MagicDisc all the way.

It's #8 on the list.

Still using Daemon Tools. No reason to mess up something that works.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I've been trying to get this to work for BF2142 but have had little luck with anything so far. I currently have MagicISO installed and a good ISO mounted but I try and start BF and it says I don't have the disk inserted, any thoughts?
            Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
              I've been trying to get this to work for BF2142 but have had little luck with anything so far. I currently have MagicISO installed and a good ISO mounted but I try and start BF and it says I don't have the disk inserted, any thoughts?
              Reaper, I have not tried BF2142 in a long time but I was told EA really put their heads together to add all different types of security to keep people from being able to mount the game due to BF2 being pirated so badly. BF2 could be pirated and played on cracked servers just using a mini image. I would have figured somebody would have figured out how to use a mini by now though.

Yeah, Daemon Tools has always been reliable for me for mounting games that I wanted to play(except BF2142) but a buddy gave me his copy of PowerISO cause he had no clue how to use it. Love PowerISO, about the same as MagicISO from what I was told and seen(not sure about it cause I have not tried MagicISO). I used PowerISO to make one install DVD out of the five BF2 install CD's, now all I have to fool with is just one disc instead of 5 if I need to install BF2 plus I can keep the originals in a safe spot.
              I have been using PowerISO lately for mounting but daemon Tools did a fine job for mounting the mini's as well.

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
                I used PowerISO to make one install DVD out of the five BF2 install CD's, now all I have to fool with is just one disc instead of 5 if I need to install BF2 plus I can keep the originals in a safe spot.
                That just reminded me of how long ago the game actually came out. I actually had to look around at a bunch of different stores to find the DVD version. Crazy that companies didn't think enough computers had dvd drives to warrant a wide DVD release. Now DVD-Rom drives are less than $20.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                  That just reminded me of how long ago the game actually came out. I actually had to look around at a bunch of different stores to find the DVD version. Crazy that companies didn't think enough computers had dvd drives to warrant a wide DVD release. Now DVD-Rom drives are less than $20.
                  Believe it or not I had quite a few people tell me that taking the 5 CD's and making one install DVD could not be done, only had to take the .cab files from disc 2-5 and add to the first disc. Of course doing this you need to use software such as Daemon Tools to mount the mini cause the game won't start up with the burned DVD. That wasn't the reason why I made the DVD though, it was just to mainly see if I could. I was trying out my new free PowerISO software at the time.

Comment

Does anyone have any issues with xfire not working while using the virtual image thing? My in-game Xfire features do not work at all now. I'm sure their is a work around. Does anyone know it?
                    sigpic
                    I'm Back.

Comment

Originally posted by Xmaster View Post
                      MagicDisc all the way.

DaemonTools is #8 on the list.

I haven't had much trouble with DT in the past. It's the only tool that works but doesn't use a lot of RAM or CPU.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I prefer Alcohol 120% allways used it!

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                          DaemonTools is #8 on the list.
                          It's the only tool that works but doesn't use a lot of RAM or CPU.
                          That is exactly why I use Daemon Tools, not a very demanding program and works just fine. As far as I am concerned it should be #1 on the list. Seems like the majority of the people I have ever talked to would rather use Daemon Tools than any other program.

Comment

what about no cd patches?

Comment

NO CD patches usually don't work with updates or patches to the game. A mini image loaded in a virtual drive appears to be like the original disk which means you can patch up with no issues. The NO CD patch will usually cause a official game patch not to install or overwrite the .exe file needed to start the game which then will not allow the game to start from my experience.
                              Also it is a lot easier just to download and install the virtual drive software for the average person such as me. A NO CD patch means searching the internet to find one that actually works, most seem like they are usually junk. People can make their own mini image using something like Alcohol 120% or MagicISO(most seem to like Alcohol though) but usually a mini image is so easy to find that is already made that will work fine, only the latest games may be harder find.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X