Wireless signal bounces a lot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless signal bounces a lot

Last 2 or 3 days I have been noticing my wireless signal bouncing a lot from the router. I normally can sit in my recliner and bang away on my laptop at 100% signal strength but the past 2 or 3 days it has been dropping to 20% and even having a hard time connecting when at full strength. Any ideas of what I can check or do to correct this.
    BTW this is the laptop I built about a month ago, the wireless card I put in it is a Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN and my router I am using is a Linksys WRT54G. I am not using any "tweaked" firmware, using Linksys v8.00.5 firmware. was thinking about trying out one of the other firmwares to get better range that i read about but still unsure what to try.
    While searching around I did find where it stated the Linksys WRT54 series routers were bad for losing signal while a microwave or cell phone within range were in use. I had been thinking maybe that is my problem?? Right now I am at 100% and it has not bounced for a while but earlier it tool forever for me to even connect.

One other thing I should add, I have my PS3 and Wii also connected but have not had any issues that I have noticed from either of them when I am having these issues with the laptop not wanting to connect. Could my wireless card be going bad?? Oh, any advice that is given in plain simple English, I am not real wise to this wireless router lingo.

EDIT:
    I am trying to just change the channel to see if that may work. Went to Linksys forums and seen a few people had almost the same problem as me and they solved their problem by logging in and changing the channel frequency. Some even changed from mixed B/G to just G as well and claimed they fixed their problem. I am giving it a shot, thinking maybe a neighbor might have something going on that is interfering with my router.
    Last edited by msdz; 03-12-2009, 10:43 PM.

Re: Wireless signal bounces a lot

If you have no pure B devices, definitely go from B/G to G. The only reason for B/G is to accommodate old stuff, and in that mode, the whole network drops to 11 Mbps. G-only will ignore any devices trying to run in B mode.

I never use the factory channel, and I also change the SSID to something custom. If you don't have new devices joining the network regularly, you can even disable SSID announcement, to keep outsiders from even seeing your network.

When I first started working at my current office, my PC locked onto an alien WAP. Turns out our tenant had set one up for a business conference, and it gave me free access to the Internet through their corporate VPN to their home office. No security on it at all, and it had the default SSID.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

When choosing wireless channels, keep in mind that channels 1, 6, and 11 are the most widely used ones. 1, 2, and 3 "overlap" and generally 4 and 7 is recommend as good channels to use.

Also if you have a microwave or cordless phone (2.4 GHz) between you and your router, usually a good idea to move them out of the way or move your laptop to a area that is not crowded by other 2.4 GHz wireless signals.

For example: I have 4 PCs in the "computer bedroom" downstairs (G network). 2 are on wireless as well as one of the printers. I get almost constant interference when I try to use a cell phone or the living room's DECT cordless phone in the room. I literally have to put a wall between me and the room before I can take or make a call on my cell (or the living room cordless).

I also have a GE cordless (also 2.4 GHz) in the room that fairs better (still suffers from occasional interference) since the base is in the same bedroom.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

When buying a cordless phone, try to get one of the 5 GHz ones that avoid the 2.6 band used by 802.11. Alas, baby monitors also use this band. I wasn't aware that cell phones use 2.6. They should be somewhere else in the spectrum.
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Well, I changed the channel a few different times and this morning I can't connect at all and I have my laptop sitting right on top of the router almost with it recognizing full strength. Apparently I have a neighbor close by that does not have their router locked and it is only 20% to 50% strength and it is also a Linksys and I am able to connect to their network. So I figure it must be my router or the settings I have it on. Just strange how the Wii and PS3 are connecting with no problems.
          I am going to completely reset the router back to default settings and see what happens from there.

EDIT:
          Before resetting anything on the router I unplugged it for about a minute, something so simple and it got me connected this morning. I have the router and my VOiP phone adapter plugged into a battery backup and figured all would be OK and would not need to reset/unplug the router again after connecting it to the battery backup, I am apparently wrong on that thought. The other thing that doesn't make since to me though is usually whenever I have to disconnect the power on the router my VOiP phone adapter won't work at all, no incoming or outgoing phone calls and I was able to do both with no issues. That was the whole purpose of the battery back up so I can make phone calls when the power goes down on me.
          I hope this takes care of my problem I have been having with connecting though. I will post back if it doesn't for other ideas and thoughts.
          Last edited by msdz; 03-13-2009, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X