hard drives!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hard drives!!

Hey there , i am getting a new hdd with my pc and it comes with a 160gb hdd 7200rpm and 2mb cache ....will this be ok to game with cos i heard it only really effects loading times.. and also can i game with an external hdd????

Re: hard drives!!

Welcome to the Hardware and Software forum section. :)

That hard drive would be fine for gaming. It's usually not recommended to load games from a external hard drive as the transfer rates from those tend to be slower than a internal HDD (most externals are connected via USB).
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

That one should be ok for games, loading is about the only thing it effects but many games now load on the fly so you will see loading stutter if your computer can not get info it needs fast enough but generaly that is only a problem in higher res games.

The one thing I would sudgest is a larger HDD, to get a HDD you need to shell out a bunch of cash to get a much larger one is usualy only 20-30 bucks more and will give it a long long life that way.

A month ago before I got a 1TB HDD I was always deleting games from my 68 gig raptor. I still have it in now but don't use it tbh.
      sigpic

Comment

cheers guys , was just worried about the cache cos my current hdd is a 16mb cache ..!! doesnt matter to much then ! cheers

Comment

A 2mb cache? My god that's deficient.

8 minimum, 16 if you're able to get it in that size drive. Also, gaming on an external HDD isn't a good idea if it's connected by USB. However, if it's connected by eSATA then you're fine.
          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
          Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Is USB 2 really so slow compared to SATA?

I expect it also depends on the game, and how much memory you have. More memory means more system cache, so once the game loads once for your session, you don't have to worry about reloading of maps. They'll load from the OS cache in main memory.

I have Vista 64 with 8 GB memory so most of WoW will fit in main memory.

I was considering copying my WoW installation to a 16 GB USB Flash stick to make it easily portable to any machine I'm at.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

transfer speeds
              eSATA = 300
              SATA = 300
              SATA = 150
              PATA = 133
              FireWire 3200 = 393
              FireWire 800 = 98.25
              FireWire 400 = 49.13
              USB 1.0 = 12
              USB 2.0 = 60
              USB 3.0* = 625
              Ultra-320 SCSI = 320

Acording to above yes but that is only maximum rate not actual rate, thats decided by the ability of the HDD to get data off the HDD. The HDD's I have seen latey were 100-150 PER HDD so unless your on a USB 1 its not the end of the world. considering that many will upgrade there HDD's for the differance between between PATA and SATA 1 I tend to think that USB 2.0 will be noticed.

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post

I expect it also depends on the game, and how much memory you have. More memory means more system cache, so once the game loads once for your session, you don't have to worry about reloading of maps. They'll load from the OS cache in main memory.

I have Vista 64 with 8 GB memory so most of WoW will fit in main memory.

I was considering copying my WoW installation to a 16 GB USB Flash stick to make it easily portable to any machine I'm at.
                It's not so much the speed, but the ability to cope with transfers when the computer is writing AND reading from the external hard drive.

I wouldn't recommend putting WoW on a 16 GB flash drive as those usually can't perform read and writes as well as HDDs or SSDs. Plus USB is pretty slow.

Originally posted by TheSleeper
                USB 2.0 = 60
                That may be how fast data could transfer over USB 2.0, but I've only gotten about 45 MB/s transfer from my external to internal or vice-versa.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                  That may be how fast data could transfer over USB 2.0, but I've only gotten about 45 MB/s transfer from my external to internal or vice-versa.

I would not be supprised at that, even more reason to avoid it if it can be helped.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                    I wouldn't recommend putting WoW on a 16 GB flash drive as those usually can't perform read and writes as well as HDDs or SSDs. Plus USB is pretty slow.
                    Others have reported good experience with this setup, at least with an external conventional HD.

WoW only writes to the disk on exit, to save client state for the next login. (This involves addons that enhance the UI or maintain special per-user databases, such as auction house tracking.) So there's no competition between read and write.
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

ive seen 68MB/s frequently on my external seagate 320gb 2.5" portable... i recall seeing higher but cant be certain