Thesleepers i7 build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thesleepers i7 build

It is time to upgrade my Pentium D and old MOBO. First off let me say that while I have a basic cursory knowledge of how to build a PC and I have done a LOT of research on the parts I am going to use and computer building in general I am still very new to, I expect to make mistakes. I am doing this for a couple reasons. Firstly I will get more computer per dollar if I do it myself and second I want to post some basic information that thinking of building a PC may not know, and thirdly I will hopefully get some constructive criticism of things I am doing wrong or how to improve my build.

After done the build I will be over clocking the CPU, RAM and GPU while attempting to keep a fairly quite PC.

First off the parts I am using and a bit about them:

Antec Twelve Hundred - Case
    The 1200 is a large case, the first for me larger than a mid tower. I chose it over the Antec 902 so I would have extra room once I put the Cool Master V10 CPU cooler in. If I did not go with the V10 I would of likely gotten a Antec 902 or something that hard on desktop real estate.

Intel i7 920 - CPU
    The i7 - 920 CPU is a big honking CPU a fair improvement over the last Core 2 Quad but the reason I got it is that in high res gaming a GPU has a hard time keeping up with a comparable CPU, therefore you have a bottle neck at the GPU. Where this one is almost bleeding edge new it will not have a problem far surpassing the GPU the processer speed alone is a minor reason to get a i7 over a C ore 2 Quad for gaming. The reason I was the i7 chip is the memory speed that destroys everything before it giving as much as a 200-300% increase over current speeds or more.

Cool Master V10 - CPU Cooler
    There have been some conflicting reports that the V10 works very well on very high heat systems and others that it does not work well at all. If nothing else it should perform well enough to OC to a fair amount and help keep the RAM cool.

G.SKILL DDR3 PC 12800 CL9 - 12 GB Ram
    This ram is not the best nor is it the worse, the better ram was only being sold by shippers that do not ship to Canada there was one better but for a much higher price. My old system worked well enough with 10GB of DDR2 800 ram so this should be a major improvement and will likely be better with some tweaking.

Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II - North Bridge Cooler
    An often over looked part of an over clocked system is the North Bridge I intend to make it a non-issue.

MSI x58 Pro - Motherboard
    The MSI X58 Pro is a modest board but it has some features that make it nice like greatly reduced power and heat foot print and some features to make it easier to over clock. most importantly it is the cheapest board available for i7 systems. It comes crossfire ready and the bios can be flashed to make it SLI ready.

Anti-Static Wrist Strap
    Static is a killer if you touch any of those nice and expensive computer chips you can release a static that is strong enough to destroy them. These items work by releasing your static charge to ground usually by having a conducting strap around your wrist that that is connected by a conducting wire to an alligator clip that is clamped onto something that is grounded be careful not to clamp onto a live wire. If you don't think the 10 bucks you spend on one of these is worth it to save a 300-1000 electronic part then I would suggest taking a length of speaker wire strip a loop and put it over your wrist and attack the other end to something that is grounded.

Thermal paste
    In this review they do a review on 24 different thermal pastes the best ones were OCZ freeZe, Shin Etsu G-751 and IC Diamond 7 Carat Thermal Compound with an honourable mention to Arctic Cooling MX-2 & Tuniq TX-2. While the old standard of Arctic Silver 5 did have close to similar temps it takes time to set up and get those slightly sub-par temps.

Enermax Liberty
    I am actually reusing my PSU from my old PC, it's an Enermax Liberty PSU but pre dates the Eco tag this PSU has but still is an exact match to it efficiently, power output including power on each rail. This PSU is from 2006 but even then had 80% power efficient was modular with long cables and a IMO a silent 120mm fan. I am thinking of getting a second 4870 GPU and that would likely make me get a new PSU. This case was gotten in 2006 to be able to use 2X X1900XT my current GPU has the same power requirement as the two X1900Xt`s.

Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB DDR5
    A respectable solo card and a beast if linked with a second 4870. I may upgrade but not likely, this is a part put into my current case no more than a month ago. With the PSU HDD`s will be the only 4 non new parts in the case. If I were on a budget and did not have the 4870 I would likely go for 2 X 4850`s if on a budget.

WD Raptor 74gb & Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 - 1TB HDD
    The Raptor is from the 2006 build and is showing its age mostly from the size it's still error free

So I ordered most things Friday march 6, the north bridge cooler I ordered the 7th and though I ordered 3 tubes of thermal Paste I have decided not to use them and instead ordered 2 tubes of the OCZ FreeZe the 10-11c differance when running under stress will make a huge difference if it turns out that the paste I have is not good quality.

So far I have received the MOBO, CPU cooler, Case and a G15 I picked up cheep to us on the new system.

I spent most of today getting the case ready and running some wires, the pre cut holes in the back of the case make hiding the wires easy. it would be so much harder to hide them that I don't think I will ever get a case that does not have some kind of cable management system built in. The case as many others have said looks well made and it is quite sturdy. When it got here the bay doors were out of alignment with the other bay doors and one of the front bay sections fell off, the front bay section clamped on easy and the screw driver quickly fixed the alignment issue. The fans have a helpful feature that each one has male and female parts making connections easier.

Aside from that it has been a long boring day of research.

EDIT: usualy no mail here till monday so I hope to get the rest of the items in monday-thursday so I can be ready on my next day off.
    sigpic

Re: Thesleepers i7 build

Well 2 weeks ago i did a new computer build, which was my first time completely putting together a new computer from scratch. My friend was suppose to do it for me but then i decided to get a whack at it.

I was planning on going the i7 but then like their were only a couple of boards that couldve supported the i7 during that time cause i also did a lot of researching myself before i bought the parts.

Im running:

NZXT Guardian 921 Chassis (Cool case, Hard to get CD/DVD Drives in)
    AMD Phenom II x4 3.0 GHZ Black Edition (Highest specs for it so far)
    ASUS M4A78 PRO Motherboard (Lacks another PCI Express to crossfire with)
    ASUS 4870 1GB DDR5 video card (This is a beast but runs high on temp)
    Corsair 850W PSU (Nice PSU but too many cables)
    OCZ Platinum 2x2GB DDR 1066
    WD 250GB HD (My Samsung 1TB from Newegg came in defective, turns on and off sometimes and couldnt load OS, getting a exchange and see how that'll turn out)

Comment

did you run into any problems makeing it or putting in the software?
      sigpic

Comment

I was thinking about getting i7, but it is really expensive went with Q6600 and really good cooler instead. Overclocked it to 3.2GHZ no prob, idles at ~30 C. Run all games maxed out on the highest res my monitor can support FPS does not drop below 30.

Comment

Originally posted by Thesleeper01 View Post
          did you run into any problems makeing it or putting in the software?
          The only real problem was the Sumsung 1TB HD. Each time me and my friend tried to load the OS onto the HD or boot it up, the hard drive would like not respond. We kept entering the BIOS to see if it read the HD but only a couple of times. Even tried changing the SATA ports and still wouldnt work. So i got pissed and went down to get a temporary one for 50$

Comment

The answer to your molecule problem on the board is 238U(ng)239U :icon2: 239Np :icon2: 239Pu :madsmile:

:icon_frow
            |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy-2-War View Post
              The answer to your molecule problem on the board is 238U(ng)239U :icon2: 239Np :icon2: 239Pu :madsmile:
              Haha, that board in the back was one of the first things I noticed too.
              And your wood floors look pretty cool. Is it real wood?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                Haha, that board in the back was one of the first things I noticed too.
                And your wood floors look pretty cool. Is it real wood?
                To Quote my wife "oh hell yeah its real wood, sanded and varnished with our own damn hands" lol We got the house for a steal of a price gutted it and resanded & varnashed the floors. The house was built in 1920 and the floors are original

The board on the wall is my old DnD table complete with chalk board paint and 1" grid.

I want the cables to be all covered so you don't the colors against the back ground but I dont think I can get shrink wrap around them so I am thinking of wrapping them with black tape but on second thought I relaized that the heat would cause the tape to unbind and make a mess.
                sigpic

Comment

I have a can of liquid electric 'tape'. It works GREAT but can be a bit messy putting on. Just use it a little at a time. I didn't use it on my build, I have it for my RC car.

Comment

I was able to find some wire covers that can expand big enough to let even something as big as a Molex connector through. At 15 bucks Canadian for a 7 foot roll its not too expensive. To stick those on I got some commander adhesive clamps. The clamps only come white so I got a can of latex based spray paint and painted them gloss black, not sure if I like the shine or not.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Thesleeper01 View Post
                      To Quote my wife "oh hell yeah its real wood, sanded and varnished with our own damn hands" lol We got the house for a steal of a price gutted it and resanded & varnashed the floors. The house was built in 1920 and the floors are original
                      Was going to say, those look an awful lot like my floors. My house had the same thing done to it before I bought it. Built in the late 1910's, pulled all the carpet and refinished the wood floors. What's really cool about mine is that there is a ton of birdseye maple in it.
                      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

12800 RAM? You do know the 920 doesn't support DDR3 speeds above 1066MHz right? I think there is some tweak out there that let's it, but it involves adjusting voltages and stuff, so I decided to just let my 1333mhz RAM run at 1066.

Comment

Killdaddy, I think this article is about the tweaking you can do so it does support it.
                          Exclusive: Retail Core i7 CPUs More Powerful than Originally Reported

If you bought faster memory, then you should get your money worth and use the faster speed.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

all the retail i7s have an unlocked memory multiplier and all it takes is a simple change in the BIOS to get ram running at good speeds provided its not over 1.65v, looks like bamboo got in before me
                            Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

I will likely run it above 1600. 1600 is what it is designed to do the board may not support it but even if I got 1333 I would likely push it to 1600 or at least close and mabey lower the cas and latency. The MSI X58 Pro lists 1600 as an over clock, most of the people getting i7's are overclockers with solid cooling systems myself included. As long as you have a ram fan it should not be a problem going to 1600+.

My ram just arrived today and the north bridge heat sink. For such a small heat sink the north bridge is real heavy because the base is real thick.

Theres a lot of stress makeing a computer for the first time so last night I took 2 sleeping pills and ..... logged into ebay and ordered 700 bucks in parts. As a PSA don't ever go to ebay after you have had 2 sleeping pills and are grogry and sleepey at the same time because then good deals look like REAL SUPER GOOD deals and you will get them. As such I now have a Enermax galaxy 1000 PSU and a second 4870 on route to me. Ya never know how much fun your gona have when you mix stupidy and sleeping pills late at night.

Not bad investments in the end I was hopeing to get an Enermax Revolution 85+ it has some sweet features like staying in after your PC powers down for up to 60 seconds to cool the last bit of heat and 6 sepperate rails. The galaxy is still lots of power and 5 rails so it should work out. I was going to get a second 4870 and I would of had 39.5 amps drawn from the 12v rail and my power system is good for 44 amps on the 12's so had I not gotten it I would likely have had brown out problems if I pushed my system too hard.

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X