Compound Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compound Question

Well as I look at my computer, I already feel the desire to upgrade. Due to budget constrictions I can't do it now, but I'd like to get everyones advise on a few things.

I know hard drives affect load speed. I got a 1TB WD hard drive so in no way am I filled to the brim. Would putting my games on a faster hard drive even be worth it at this point where my hard drive is nearly empty and if it is worth it, how hard is it to shift games and game data to that hard drive?

Thanks for your time!

Re: Compound Question

What model from Western Digital? If it's a WD Black, I wouldn't worry too much.
    It's Gaming
    Proud to have been a member of the 55th Infantry Division!

Comment

as long as you keep that HDD defraged it wont make that big of a difference, I con't remember off the top of my head if you had an upgraded CPU cooler but that would help ensure the longevity of your system or let you overclock the mess out of it with good safety
      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
        as long as you keep that HDD defraged it wont make that big of a difference, I con't remember off the top of my head if you had an upgraded CPU cooler but that would help ensure the longevity of your system or let you overclock the mess out of it with good safety
        I'm still on the stock cooler, but that is another thing to consider. I've been wary of the CPU coolers because I'm concerned that they won't fit in my Antec 900 Mid-Tower. If anyone has suggestions for that it is well welcomed.

Comment

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
          I'm still on the stock cooler, but that is another thing to consider. I've been wary of the CPU coolers because I'm concerned that they won't fit in my Antec 900 Mid-Tower. If anyone has suggestions for that it is well welcomed.
          Considering I have an Antec 900, and a custom cooler, I feel I can comment on this.

Custom coolers fit the Antec 900 fine. With my custom cooler, my CPU runs at around 28c under load, 20-23 idle. (It's an Intel E8500 Dual Core 3.16). Sometimes I even set it to 3.8 when I feel like putting the OC on.

The Antec 900 has room, you just have to be careful and do your measurements. You also have to watch out for chords in the area of the CPU cooler as well, as the Antec 900's PSU is at the bottom (so you'll have to snake the wires up around the custom cooler to get the PSU plugged into the small mobo power plugin).

I run the Arctic Cooling - Freezer 7 model. That runs a little tight at times, but I am able to mange it. As long as it isn't bigger than the size of that, you should be ok.

|TG| Eudiphon

sigpic
          "But in contemplating history as the slaughter-bench at which the happiness of peoples, the wisdom
          of states, and the virtue of individuals have been sacrificed, a question necessarily arises:
          To what principle, to what final purpose, have these monstrous sacrifices been offered?"
          - G.W.F. Hegel Reason in History

Comment

Some games don't mind where it has been moved since installation. I have a drive dedicated to games that I've kept intact after OS reinstalls and drive letter changes. Move the games over if you want. You can always reassign drive letters so the new drive with your games has the same drive letter as what the games expect.

It might be worth moving your games over. The newer drive most likely has a denser platter size and larger cache that could improve performance for games. It'll mostly be load times improving unless a game streams a lot of data from disk during play. If you're low on RAM then it doesn't matter because the game will probably go to the paging file (performance depends on which disk(s) Windows configured for the paging file).

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I'll consider the new hard drive, and I'm set with 6gb of RAM.

Would this be big enough and fast enough to make a difference as a hard drive to load games off of?

And what about this for a new CPU fan?
              Last edited by DrBeat; 03-15-2009, 11:32 AM.

Comment

I'd save some money and get the scythe (as its better anyways) and you could even get a second fan and do a push pull set up, or you could go super high quality with the noctua
                Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

4 page article by tomshardware.com on CPU coolers.

From late 08 so not reaily current with the newest CPU coolers but it is a great start, theres a TON of coolers there.

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
                  I'll consider the new hard drive, and I'm set with 6gb of RAM.

Would this be big enough and fast enough to make a difference as a hard drive to load games off of?

And what about this for a new CPU fan?
                  sigpic

Comment

You should really read over the reviews at NewEgg. A lot of technophiles tend to write about their experiences installing these parts (good and bad experiences) and tend to give you a good idea of what to expect. I try to go with products that have good feedback, and are somewhat tried and tested.

|TG| Eudiphon

sigpic
                    "But in contemplating history as the slaughter-bench at which the happiness of peoples, the wisdom
                    of states, and the virtue of individuals have been sacrificed, a question necessarily arises:
                    To what principle, to what final purpose, have these monstrous sacrifices been offered?"
                    - G.W.F. Hegel Reason in History

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X