FF not using Google to search from address bar/location bar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FF not using Google to search from address bar/location bar

Well, I updated FF and I went to do a search like I always did by typing directly into the location bar(aka the address bar) and it would go directly to my ISP search page instead. I was wondering how many others had this same problem?

I noticed this on my laptop first and decided to get on my desktop and try a search before updating FF to make sure I was not imagining things. My desktop FF worked as it should till I decided to update it and then it did the same exact thing as the FF does on the laptop.
    So I did some searching around to find out how to solve this problem and after quite a bit of searching I found out how to fix it. It is called Internet Keyword Search and you type in the location bar in another tab about:config and then hit "Enter". Screen pops up that warns you "This might void your warranty", click the "I'll be careful, I promise" button. In the filter box you can type in keyword.URL, this is what will need to be changed. Default settings for this are "http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=" without quotes though. I changed mine to "http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=" and I can now search in the location bar as I did before but it will not take me directly to some web sites as it did before. Yahoo can be added instead of Google if that is what you prefer, I did not check on any others search engines though. Yahoo is this, "http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=".
    After making changes close out of tab and now you can search from the location/address bar again. I got this information from the FF forums and also from this site for the Google addresses FF uses in the keyword.URL, http://kb.mozillazine.org/Location_Bar_search . As I said the default, which is the second one listed on the page linked will not work properly for me after I updated.

Hope this information may have helped any that may have this same problem and wanted it corrected.... somewhat. I have a habit of using the location bar for doing my searches instead of going to the search bar, that was the reason why I had to get it working for myself.

Re: FF not using Google to search from address bar/location bar

I haven't had my default search provider changed.

It's most likely some program that is changing it without your knowledge (like a browser search toolbar).
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I have no toolbars added on. I had even uninstalled FF and completely cleared out all registry entries and then reinstalled again to make sure I had nothing I was unaware of running or installed that would have interfered with the default search and I still had the same exact issue with it taking me to my ISP search web site. Apparently I must be one of the very few that has the problem cause I didn't even see any thing in the FF support forums.
      Although I have noticed I am also having issues with Java in FF but it works fine in IE8. Something I have just noticed today. Wondering if I might not have a trojan or virus now? I will do a few AV scans to make sure.

EDIT:
      I was just thinking, I have no programs shared at all between the 2 computers so I have my doubts that both computers would have the same virus. Something else must be going on to cause my problems. I will continue to look around and see what it may be while scanning the computers. I have not checked the desktop yet to see how Java is working on it with FF, I'll do it later.
      Last edited by msdz; 03-15-2009, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Have you cleaned your systems of spyware and such? There are known browser hijackers that will change browser settings (like homepage, search bar's default search engine, launching new tabs to spam websites, etc.).
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

1. Go to google.com using firefox
          2. Right click where you enter your search string and select "Add a keyword for this search"
          3. Type the letter g in the pop-up.
          4. To search for something type "g something" in your browser bar.

(I did this for maps.google.com as well - I type "map san fransisco, ca" in my address bar and i get google map view of SF :icon14:)

Comment

I did a scan for everything, virus's and spyware/adware. I turned up nothing at all and used 4 different scans, my installed NOD32 and 2 online scanners. Kaspersky, Housecall, & Microsoft Defender all these said I was completely clean.
            I still say it is something to do with java cause java is not working at all in FF but will in IE8. Only thing I done was download and install bluetooth program and drivers last night was thinking that may have something to do with it. I will try uninstalling the program to see if it will have any effect.

EDIT:
            Well I got java working. Went to the Firefox support forums and got that fix. I unchecked a box in the control panel>java>advanced>plug in>enable next-generation java plug in. I then restarted and Java now works fine but of course I put the keyword.URl back to default setting and it still did not work right. Something has to be on my computer that changed these settings!!
            Last edited by msdz; 03-15-2009, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Have you tried just reinstalling FF 3.0.7?
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Sometimes a program like Ad-Ware when installing has a check mark you have to uncheck so as to not load a toolbar and change search engine. Try going into my computer, there is a setting which determines what search engine you use. I have Vista64 and that is the way it is with it.
                The Old Guy
                kin3
                sigpic

Comment

I did completely uninstall FF 3.0.7. I then uninstalled java. Only thing I did was install the software for my bluetooth on my laptop and after that I noticed FF was not running right. So, I got frustrated with it not working right and decided to backup everything I have important on another partition and reinstall Windows 7 Beta since that was what I was using. I am just getting back and have not yet installed everything yet that I know ran good on Windows 7 or have not downloaded FF yet.
                  When I download it I will definitely check it out again and see if it works like it did before I started having problems. If not I will let you know, I will propbably download it right now before installing anything else and then java. That way I know I am getting a clean install from a fresh install on Windows 7.

EDIT again:
                  Just installed FF and then java. I tried verifying the java install and guess what, same thing from fresh install of Windows 7, FF, and java. In order for me to get java to work I had to go in java's options as I described above Control Panel>yada yada yada. before I did this though I restarted the computer to see if that had any effect on FF and java which it didn't.
                  My search is still not working right either, so it must be something to do with the latest FF update and Windows 7 if nobody else has this problem. No, no, that isn't it cause I have the same problems on my desktop computer with Vista, So Windows 7 can't be the issue, must be a FF problem.
                  Either way, I am on a fresh install so I know it is not nothing I downloaded or installed. I haven't even installed any Windows Updates yet, so nothing there interfering with FF and java. I just setup FF to do the I Feel Lucky search when I type I word in the location bar, I can always change it later since i know how now.
                  Last edited by msdz; 03-16-2009, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Wait...so this whole time you been using Windows 7 Beta?

If so, have you considered going back to Vista? Win7 Beta is due to auto-expire in August.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yeah, I have considered it but still want to use it till then and i know some issues are present cause if it being beta still. RC1 will be out soon enough though and should take care of some of the small issues Windows 7 has. I am almost sure that when Windows 7 goes retail I will have it though.
                      So, cause of me having the issues in FF and Windows 7 I will be happy with what I got. I am really interested in seeing the improvements(not just hearing about them) of Windows 7 as it evolves and the reason why I want to keep it on my laptop.

Comment

Thought I would add this bit of information, it is not a problem with Windows 7 and FF. As I said I have Vista on my desktop and have the same issue but today I went to my Aunts and she had me to do a format and fresh install of XP on her computer and after installing FF I typed a word in the location bar and guess what? Same as on my Vista computer and Windows 7 computer, from a fresh format and install XP does the same thing with FF.
                        So, now my question is if FF is not messed up for anybody else I wonder if there is a way our ISP(same as my Aunts) is doing something to keep FF from doing the normal search from the location bar in FF? I know, sounds a bit off but if no one else has the problem explain to me why 3 of the computers I have been around all have the same problem with going to the ISP's search page instead of the normal Google search. Anyway, I set hers up as I did with mine using the way I described above. Even she is use to typing in the location bar for her searches instead of actually using the search bar in FF.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X