Intel vs AMD, breach of cross-license agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel vs AMD, breach of cross-license agreement

Seems like this could be a huge issue, as Intel feels as if GlobalFoundries (AMD's fab spin off) has broken their cross-license agreement.

TechReport
    Fudzilla

The potential future of computing could be altered heavily depending on what happens with this case.
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Re: Intel vs AMD, breach of cross-license agreement

Sure, just pound AMD into the ground so there's no competition -_-

AMD can't even compete right now with i7....
    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Intel's action is an attempt to distract the world from the global antitrust scrutiny it faces. Should this matter proceed to litigation, we will prove not only that Intel is wrong, but also that Intel fabricated this claim to interfere with our commercial relationships and thus has violated the cross-license.
      Well it sounds like Intel is trying to become the Microsoft of Processor Chips. Honestly that doesn't sound a typical response if AMD were in breach (or had doubt that they were not in breach) of their cross-licensing agreement with Intel Corporation.

Watch...nVidia/AMD might try something like this against their competitor.

If Intel wins this and we later find out they were in breach of contract due to threats towards AMD, I say the end users should band together and boycott all Intel products from that point on. Or just boycott right now so Intel doesn't become the dominant processor chip maker since they're using what sounds like scare tactics (like MS did with Netscape).
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

AMD has cross licencing agreements with Intel as well. Intel could very well drive AMD out of the CPU business but unless they could acquire AMD's IP, they would be knocked back a number of years themselves. All the more reason for me to save a few bucks and go AMD again for my next build.
        sigpic

Comment

yeah, intel no longer able to sell 64bit chips... hello, 2002? yes we have a reservation...

I would LOVE to see this one.

AMD ONLY selling 64bit chips (no 32bit emulation - which would force a lot of companies to jump through the 64bit hoop faster.)

Intel ONLY selling 32bit chips...

Intel would be the automatic loser, since everyone wants more than 4gigs of ram now, and AMD would have the only CPU's able to address it all.
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

In other words for the non-technical readers: AMD = WIN. Intel = LOSE.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              In other words for the non-technical readers: AMD = WIN. Intel = LOSE.
              that is of course if intel losses its own law suit

Comment

the actual cross license agreement for anyone who cares (i.e. the actual legal document) and the reason behind it

Comment

Hmm I thought AMD was being tight-lipped about releasing the agreement to the public?
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

they were, that is where the second article comes in. In exchange to making the cross license public Intel will lift its demand for confidentiality in its US antitrust suit.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
                      they were, that is where the second article comes in. In exchange to making the cross license public Intel will lift its demand for confidentiality in its US antitrust suit.
                      So this is all over now right? I really don't want to only have Intel as the sole option available for my x86-64 future.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                        So this is all over now right? I really don't want to only have Intel as the sole option available for my x86-64 future.
                        You mean AMD? AMD designed the 64 bit goodness that we all enjoy right now.
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                          You mean AMD? AMD designed the 64 bit goodness that we all enjoy right now.
                          Scratch what I said earlier. I have too many things going on at once and I'm totally confused about this whole thread right now.

If AMD loses this whole threat of a lawsuit and is found in breach of the cross-licensing agreement, what does AMD actually lose the use of?

It's not Intel's x86 tech is it? The agreement was from 2001 and if memory serves right, AMD already had x86 chips out on the market.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Intel owns the patent on x86 and are very restrictive about who they give it to. Basically, very few companies have the license because they obtained it a very long time ago. Intel is not allowing anyone else to buy one. Unfortunately for AMD, x86-64 is an extension of x86 and while they could revoke Intel's right to use it, it won't operate without x86. They could move fully to a 64 bit architecture but I imagine that if it took off, Intel would pull Itanium off the shelf and use their considerable leverage to make that the new standard.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
                              Intel owns the patent on x86 and are very restrictive about who they give it to. Basically, very few companies have the license because they obtained it a very long time ago. Intel is not allowing anyone else to buy one. Unfortunately for AMD, x86-64 is an extension of x86 and while they could revoke Intel's right to use it, it won't operate without x86. They could move fully to a 64 bit architecture but I imagine that if it took off, Intel would pull Itanium off the shelf and use their considerable leverage to make that the new standard.
                              Okay, so I'm not as confused as I thought. So even since AMD had x86 chips before this cross-licensing agreement came about, they probably had a agreement with Intel to license their x86 architecture right?

So then, in answer to Cingy's question: no. I don't meant AMD. If AMD loses, AMD would not have the right to produce x86 chips anymore meaning all of their CPUs would be x64 only. No x86-64 extensions. No 32-bit compatibility. No more 32-bit Windows + AMD.

Though if Intel wins, I hope to God, AMD takes away 64-bit tech from Intel. Then we can kiss those future rigs goodbye for a few years until the software world readapts and starting making solely 64-bit software.

And worse comes to worse, they get into a cat fight which results in some crazy court order than any and all chips produced during the license agreement be destroyed. At which point, we can kiss a good portion of the internet goodbye along with a whole lot of PCs.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X