Can't update geforce drivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't update geforce drivers

Well, I really didn't need my computer to go wrong this week, so of course it did. I have had to reformat and reinstall, upgrading from 98SE to XP while I was at it.

I eventually got everything sorted, but I can't update my video drivers. I have downloaded the latest drivers from the nVIDIA site (52.16_win2kxp_english_whql.exe) and it unpacks successfully. When I try to install it, either by manually doing an 'update driver' from device manager, or by running the setup.exe, it only gets part way through the install. After that the screen just goes black except for a blinking curser at the top.

WinXP pro corperate ver
    1.1 athlon thunderbird
    SL-75KAV mobo
    128mb ram

any ideas or pointers in the right direction?

I hope this was a clear post, but the refresh rate has fried my brain and I get laggy performance in IE which drives me even madder.

Wintermute
    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Driver Installation Hints

"Download Accelerator" utilities should be disabled when downloading any drivers.
    Do not run virus protection software in the background while installing the drivers. This prevents the driver from configuring itself properly.
    Before installing new drivers make sure you uninstall all NVIDIA display drivers from the Windows Control Panel. Browse to the Start Menu > Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and search for "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select remove.
    I may be old but I can still pull the trigger. Because I can't run. That makes me dangerous. :icon_lol:

Comment

oh yea and you could down load an earlier version and see it works

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html
      I may be old but I can still pull the trigger. Because I can't run. That makes me dangerous. :icon_lol:

Comment

Try Driver Cleaner, handy program to rid all the hidden entries nothing else can find.

http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

Comment

have you installed your MB drivers? The latest ones?

also ive heard that the 5x.xx's arnt that good yet.. try, if you can to find some older ones.

http://www.omegacorner.com has good tweaked drivers...not sure about his Nvidia drivers but his ATI drivers are top dog
          From Adam Webb

Comment

On the device manager properties I can't uninstall or roll back the drivers but it says it is using the 5x.xx drivers that crashed when I installed them. It also says no drivers are required or have been installedInstalling 4x.xx has absolutely no effect.

I ran driver cleaner, but since I can't unistall the drivers it doesn't make a difference.

I also can't use safe mode as the mouse doesn't work in it.
            Is that these?
            VIA_Hyperion 4IN1_V449vp2
            or something called an 'AMD AGP driver' from the AMDminiport_533.exe?
            I have installed both of these but am only vaguely sure what they are.
            Wintermute

Comment

you dont need a mouse to operate windows...

Comment

Originally posted by Wintermute
                Is that these?
                VIA_Hyperion 4IN1_V449vp2
                or something called an 'AMD AGP driver' from the AMDminiport_533.exe?
                I have installed both of these but am only vaguely sure what they are.
                depends what board you need

the VIA drivers is for VIA boards
                the AMD AGP driver is for AMD boards (rare)
                From Adam Webb

Comment

you dont need a mouse to operate windows...
                  But its very hard without one.

I realised that, as overlag said, I don't need the AMD driver as its a via voard, but I think I did that after the gfx driver prob anyway.

Are there any discussion boards or something that would generate a FAQ on nVidia drivers?
                  Wintermute

Comment

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=14

http://zaptech.com/commentary/nvidia/faq.shtml

http://go.to/geforcefaq

I use these three to find out most of what I need! and I'm real stupid to the whole thing :D

Comment

this is probably a windows file protection error...i had to turn it off to update my ATI drivers past 3.1
                      From Adam Webb

Comment

this is probably a windows file protection error...i had to turn it off to update my ATI drivers past 3.1
                        How do I turn this off and/or view its log file?
                        I managed to use safe mode and uninstall the drivers properly.
                        Installing 52.16 causes the black screen at the end of the install as mentioned above.
                        Installing 45.33 says it can't find nvcod.dll half way through the install.
                        52.16 DOES have a nvcod.dll. Can I use this with the 45.33 driver?
                        In the mean time I will try and find another driver version.
                        Wintermute

Comment

driver version back to 25.84 here http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

Comment

/me dances
                            45.23 worked. Thanks v much for the help guys.
                            Gaming time!!
                            Wintermute

Comment

Next time try "detonator destroyer". I remember I rish pointed me towards them one time and it cleaned out ALL the registry crap that sometimes is not removed when installing new drivers over the old ones.
                              I find the latest drivers fomr Nividia ar workin fine for me. :D
                              "On My Commad, Unleash Hell"
                              "And Let Slip The Dogs Of War"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...