its amazing how normal people can find viruses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• its amazing how normal people can find viruses

i was at a friends where a normal... non tech person was using a laptop... he was trying to find where to buy something fairly specific and using the IE address bar as a google box... it kept using some random search for what was inputted and not 20 sec after i stopped watching him try to find whatever he was looking for... the computer came down with a virus (that stupid win antivi 2009 360 something) and it restarted on the spot... loading windows and a fake virus scan saying you have a bajillion viruses... pay me 50 dolla to rid them.... and you could do nothing else... locking out CMD, task manager, and anything else remotely useful for ridding viruses.......what gets me is i have NEVER had a virus... EVER.... this will be the 7th computer i have had to rid the stupid virus of this month.....

i hate lay people sometimes
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Re: its amazing how normal people can find viruses

Originally posted by Tonk View Post
    i was at a friends where a normal... non tech person was using a laptop... he was trying to find where to buy something fairly specific and using the IE address bar as a google box... it kept using some random search for what was inputted and not 20 sec after i stopped watching him try to find whatever he was looking for... the computer came down with a virus (that stupid win antivi 2009 360 something) and it restarted on the spot... loading windows and a fake virus scan saying you have a bajillion viruses... pay me 50 dolla to rid them.... and you could do nothing else... locking out CMD, task manager, and anything else remotely useful for ridding viruses.......what gets me is i have NEVER had a virus... EVER.... this will be the 7th computer i have had to rid the stupid virus of this month.....

i hate lay people sometimes
    I hear you. I really do. People these days are a little dense when it comes to safe browsing. Oh well, all the more money for the smart ones. :row__593:
    It's Gaming
    Proud to have been a member of the 55th Infantry Division!

Comment

that virus seems to be going around alot. Like you i have not gotten it, but have had to remove it. Most times its just completely easier to format and start over. And when you got local shops charging 50bucks or more to remove a virus im getting lots of phone calls.
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

Did the guy not have any virus protection (scanner and resident agent) installed?
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
          Did the guy not have any virus protection (scanner and resident agent) installed?
          this virus shows up as a pop up...and before you can tell them NO..they have clickd on it and they are freaking out becuase they think they have viruses...
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

I have had on virus EVER, and I gave it to myself on purpose...

I have had a lot of piddly things, but nothing that gave me any fits...

I take that back... I reformatted my computer the day blaster came out, and spent the whole day thinking my hardware was bad, till I hopped on a friends computer to do some research, and found out how to fix it.
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I got the same popup a couple days ago and thought WDF. I actualy had to go into defender twice to check that it was BS. I guess thinking back the flashing warning should of been a tip off.
              sigpic

Comment

I get half a dozen of these across my desk every week. It's become a pretty routine infection in quite a short period of time.
                a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Got this on my work laptop this week. The nasty part is I don't have many permissions to fix it myself. I have to send it off to our admins. Teh ****teh.

Comment

I had to remove this virus from 2 computers so far. The first time it took me forever to figure it out but the second time came a little easier. Both my mother-in-law and her sister click on everything that happens to pop up on their screen which leads them to almost always having infections. As much as I tell them to not do that or to READ what they are clicking on it never helps. I think they know I will always "FIX" their computer for FREE!!
                    I just reformatted and reinstalled XP on my wifes Aunts computer Tuesday, I told her then this was going to be the last time cause it is almost every 4-6 weeks she has so much going on with her computer from virus's or trojans. She lets every Tom, Dick, Harry, Sue, Sally, and Jane get on her computer that I told her maybe they need to start working on it for her.
                    I have never had a virus on any of my computers either. Even using IE for as long as I have and hearing so many people complain that IE is a sure fire way of getting one. Any browser is going ot allow a virus on the computer with the wrong user on the computer. Wife's Aunt is prime example, I put FF on her computer in hopes it would help her out....WRONG. Funny thing about her is she asked me to put a password on her computer the time I worked on it before the last time and guess what, that was useless, everybody in the county I believe had the password.

All i can say is some people should have a permit in order ot own and operate a computer.

Comment

I don't think this virus has infected any of the PCs here yet. I strictly warn my siblings and parents not to click on any pop-ups but instead of close them.

Luckily, I use Avast so the pop-up's attempt at imitating a resident AV agent's warning pop-up fails to trick me into clicking it (since it looks different).
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The next time you clean someone's machine with a reinstall, give them a regular user account and do NOT give them the Administrator password. Lock it down tight like a corporate box. No user software installation allowed. The worst they can do is mess up their own account. And you can blow that away next time and give them a new account, like "TyphoidMary".
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                          its not a virus, but a popup that fakes a scan saying rediculous amounts of viruses on c drive d drive cd drive (lol)... with a REPAIR button.... when you click the repair button... thats the link that initiates the virus....