Windows 7 Guest Mode Creates Bomb-Proof Accounts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Guest Mode Creates Bomb-Proof Accounts

This looks like it will be really interesting, and great for system admins at small business that have lots of people using random computers.

Windows 7 Guest Mode Creates Bomb-Proof Accounts

In the simplest terms, Guest Mode takes a snapshot of how a PC was working before the kid, friend, coffeeshop customer, or whoever else is using the Guest Mode account logs on. That user can't do much to alter the system, and whatever they can do, like dropping files on the desktop, is discarded when they log off. In specifics, Paul Thurrott's SuperSite breaks down Guest Mode's features, and we'll thumbnail it further:

* Prevents system setting changes. Any attempts to change the system while running under a safeguarded account are prevented.
    * Prevents the installation of applications and other software. Once you've enabled Guest Mode, it is impossible to install or permanently configure already installed software applications.
    * Prevents the user from writing to the disk outside of their user profile.
    * Data saved inside of the user profile is deleted when the user logs off.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Windows 7 Guest Mode Creates Bomb-Proof Accounts

Boy..has anyone seen a bad review of 7 Yet? Looks Like MS got it correct this time..eh? Time shall tell, but installation of the Beta on a 4 Yoa Dell Laptop went without a Hitch, even installing the Dell Network and Video Drivers by default... Which never happened for me in XP..
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

How is guest mode different from a non-Administrator account with UAC enabled?
      Seems like that would be sufficient to keep the kid or spouse from fouling up one's system.
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I'm pretty sure UAC just asks you if your sure you want to make changes, and you can still just click yes. This prevents anything from happening.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
          I'm pretty sure UAC just asks you if your sure you want to make changes, and you can still just click yes. This prevents anything from happening.
          If you're not an Administrator, UAC requires that you enter an administrator username and password to proceed. It's like programs on Linux that require you to enter the root password to install stuff.
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X