is a PhysX card worth it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is a PhysX card worth it?

Just as the title is a PhysX card worth it for improved frame rates? Everything I have seen is that the only thing that it does is make the very few games made for it have a more non game elements in game.

That haveing been said is there a way to add a PhysX card to a dual 4870 setup?

Information seems old and hard to find mostly.
    sigpic

Re: is a PhysX card worth it?

To my knowledge, very few games support it. Most developers let the video card and the processor handle everything in games. IMO its not worth it.

Comment

It was sold to Nvidia, so if you want PhysX you need an nvidia card. Though ATI is about to give a lot more details about their version like next week at the Game Dev. Conference.

If you are talking about buying a separate card, then def. not worth it.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I read an article where they had 2 rigs; one had a PhysX card and one was the "control". They had a group of gamers "blind test" both machines across multiple games to see if they could tell which machine was running with the card, and the test subjects either noticed no difference, or guessed wrong.

I really doubt it's worth the investment.

Comment

Plus if you have an Nvidia card with Physx stuff integrated (8800 and newer i think) you can use it for some physx effects in game such as Mirror's Edge.

Comment

In mirrors edge it made more non game elements that were eye candy but slowed FPS when one was used for PhysX.
            sigpic

Comment

physx cards are a waste

Comment

Originally posted by Thesleeper01 View Post
                In mirrors edge it made more non game elements that were eye candy but slowed FPS when one was used for PhysX.
                not saying it was necessary to the game, just saying it's possible.

Comment

It seems the feed back confirmed what I found that for now they suck.
                  sigpic

Comment

Note that this doesn't mean the idea is bad, just that no games implemented it effectively. Offloading physics from the main CPU means better physics, like rag doll animations that aren't pre-scripted, and destroyable environments that don't require that the break points be in specific places.

It's like when sound cards first came out (mid 80's?) and every card was different and required special support by specific games.

It's also like games written for Linux. Linux might be a great OS, but few write games for it, because few game buyers have Linux. Similarly, why write a game that uses a physics card if no one owns one?
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X