Htpc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Htpc

Hey all anyone have any experance with a Home Theater PC?

I have been thinking of makeing one what is the min GFX card and anyone know of any interface programs?
    sigpic

Re: Htpc

Are you looking to make it a DVR? If so I've heard that this site was good support for gbpvr. Been meaning to check it out myself.

http://forums.gbpvr.com.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

My HTPC is a 2.7GHz Athlon X2 with 2GB of DDR2-800, an nVidia 8600GTS 512, a 500GB drive, and my old Soundblaster Live 24bit external audio card with an Optical link to the stereo. With a little bit more up-to-date board, I could probably forego the nVidia card and use the onboard video, for the sake of reducing noise and power use.

Formerly running Vista Ultimate, and now running Win7. I originally wanted to build this with MythTV, but I have too much trouble with Linux and decided to forego it. For most intents and purposes, Windows Media Center works fine. The machine can really do so much more, and sometimes just for the speed of which you can get a DVD going, it's worth it. :) There has been one or two DVR threads in this forum section in the past year and there's plenty of setups. Hardware-wise, for a really low power and heat setup, you can also go with the Atom 330 (I believe) which is the dual-core series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_video_recorder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...tware_packages

For movie watching, web browsing and gaming on the tv, etc (I've been known to boot up EVE or Left 4 Dead on our 55" livingroom tv....hehe) this sort of setup works fine. However, DVR recording is getting a bit more "squirrely" now, so to speak. In that Comcast finally moved to an all-digital lineup here, so my PVR-150 card will no longer work. I started having problems with my HVR-1600 hybrid tuner card, so I just went out and bought an HDhomerun for it. Which works great for most programming, but will not tune encrypted channels.

For that you would need a cablecard, or just an input from the cable box and have it do the channel switching for you, if you want to record encrypted channels.
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

I actually just read this article today before reading this:
        MSI rolls out R4600 HDMI GPU series for HTPC builders
        Looks like it would be a good option.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Intersting, thanks for the links all. It looks like I got a bunch of research to do I need a technology that can feed a signal to either of 2 TV's at the same time.

I had been looking for a MOCA based system but info on those is all but imposeable to find and it seems that it needed to be implemented by my cable company.

Spulat, do you know if vista/7 are able to send out coax signals to a distant TV in addition to the local one? I am trying to set up a home TV/PVR network.
          sigpic

Comment

For an HTCP build and solution you have to choose your components very carefully so they will be compatible and function the way you intend. Especially when HD programing, TrueHD sound, Bluray, HDMI and cable cards get into the mix. Many times it's better just to buy the stand alone appliances. Here's a link to the most hardcore HTPC builders. Without them my HTPC would have been a complete mess.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Comment

I think I have most of the stand alone devices (BD Player, PVR, surround amp.. ect) The real reason I am looking for it is as a centralized media storage device that would let me view movies and hear audio from any TV/PC in the house. I say any but I truely mean from the bedroom TV since I can already connect the other PC's to a server PC no problem. So reaily the problem I have is of control IE how do I control a movie from the bedroom if the wife is watching one in the liveing room.

I think I got a lot of research to do. Thanks for the link.
              sigpic

Comment

i can only recommend a bigass HDD

My friend has a HTPC and his HDD isnt big enough to record all the shows in HD, so he also has an external one laying around his TV, doesnt look so super..

Life's too short to live it fast.

Comment

Couldn't you network into a shared folder and start the movies/audio from the bedroom PC. And for the stand alones something like slingbox pro HD?

Comment

I was thinking of doing it the otehr way then I can use a non HD "sling box" for the bedroom and HDMI for my TV. I can take some time to think about it but I am doing an A/V remodel in my liveing room on the 10th of next month so I will likely run every kind of wire I can to make keep my options open coax & twisted pair.
                    sigpic

Comment

When you get it figured out post your component map and intentions.

Comment

I will, thanks for the feed back all.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Thesleeper01 View Post
                          Intersting, thanks for the links all. It looks like I got a bunch of research to do I need a technology that can feed a signal to either of 2 TV's at the same time.

I had been looking for a MOCA based system but info on those is all but imposeable to find and it seems that it needed to be implemented by my cable company.

Spulat, do you know if vista/7 are able to send out coax signals to a distant TV in addition to the local one? I am trying to set up a home TV/PVR network.
                          The thing that frustrated me the most about Vista MC, is that you couldn't connect to another VMC and use it as an extender or share shows.

With Win7, you have the ability to both tell MC to look for media on another machine on your network, and the ability to play it from that source when added. I record shows on the DVR upstairs, and watch them with MC in my room in the basement. It also seems to work flawlessly with my HDhomerun box. Additonally, Win 7 has "Play To" capability: http://community.winsupersite.com/bl...7-play-to.aspx

So far as SENDING coax signals, no. I'm not sure why you would want to do that andor for what reason. I would speculate a few reasons, but instead of trying to be a mind reader, I can just let you fill me in :)
                          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
                            The thing that frustrated me the most about Vista MC, is that you couldn't connect to another VMC and use it as an extender or share shows.

With Win7, you have the ability to both tell MC to look for media on another machine on your network, and the ability to play it from that source when added. I record shows on the DVR upstairs, and watch them with MC in my room in the basement. It also seems to work flawlessly with my HDhomerun box. Additonally, Win 7 has "Play To" capability: http://community.winsupersite.com/bl...7-play-to.aspx

So far as SENDING coax signals, no. I'm not sure why you would want to do that andor for what reason. I would speculate a few reasons, but instead of trying to be a mind reader, I can just let you fill me in :)
                            MOCA works over coax and provides 2 direction broad band net. It was designed by motorolla to basicly the same thing that windows 7 is but with out a regular network and let you share your network through it too. From everything I have seen it seems real sweet but it is too new to be known atm ... I started thinking about a media server because my PVR came MOCA ready but could not find out how to set it up. MOCA is a tech that is being marketed to cable companys.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Thesleeper01 View Post
                              MOCA works over coax and provides 2 direction broad band net. It was designed by motorolla to basicly the same thing that windows 7 is but with out a regular network and let you share your network through it too. From everything I have seen it seems real sweet but it is too new to be known atm ... I started thinking about a media server because my PVR came MOCA ready but could not find out how to set it up. MOCA is a tech that is being marketed to cable companys.
                              hm. Well, that's the first I've heard of it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X