Linux on the PS3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux on the PS3

I'm thinking about installing Linux onto my PS3, but before I do that, I wanted to hear if any of you have experience doing this. Is it worth the effort? How capable is it? Please share your experiences whether good or bad.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...o/4263321.html
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Re: Linux on the PS3

What I had read up Yellow Dog version of Linux is the best to use ONLY if you have a HDTV though. If using a regular TV then it won't work cause it throughs the image off unless you do some tweaking before or while installing. Ubuntu I also heard was good but same deal, you needed a HDTV. I had considered on adding Linux to my PS3 but at the time I had thought about it I only had a standard res. TV. I now have a HDTV and was thinking about putting Yellow dog on just to see how it goes. Of course I will make sure ot back up all my information I already have on my PS3 on an external HDD or a huge flash drive.

Here is one of many Yellow Dog install guides on the PS3. http://ps3.ign.com/articles/748/748255p1.html There is also a YDL forum and they have a PS3 section as well. http://us.fixstars.com/support/insta..._ps3_guide.pdf A .PDF file that may be helpful as well.

Comment

Yellow Dog, eh? Good to know. This might be a fun project to try out, and a good excuse to upgrade the hd on my ps3. ;)

Plus, Sony's web browser on the ps3 is a piece of useless junk, so having mozilla on my ps3 would truly rock. Oh man, if I can get Hulu.com to play on my tv through my ps3, then I won't have to build an htpc! Especially since the PS3 already accesses all my divx and mp3's from my pc upstairs wirelessly! :D

Comment

I read the other day Hulu was working now.
        I tried to get my buddy with a PS3 to let me hack his, but he said no :(

I would check into getting Boxee to install since there is a linux version, and you can get Hulu sometimes through that. It is like Media Center but supposed to be better. Problem is the Windows version isn't out yet, so I haven't played with it.

Also, word is Netflix might soon be available on the PS3, so it is really pushing me to get a PS3 once I get an HDTV

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Oh yeah! It's not worth it without an HDTV, but once you get one, the PS3 has proved it's worth many times over for me.

Comment

Huge difference having a HDTV. When I got my PS3 I had a standard def TV and then I got a 720p HDTV for the bedroom, I thought "WOW!" but after I got the 1080p HDTV for the living room my mind was blown away again. Not only is the living room TV bigger it does look a lot better on 1080 resolution.

Comment

i truly wish linux on PS3 could incorporate the graphics card, does anyone know why the linux distros do not hardware accelerate with the gfx card?