Lock-up and Magenta Walls....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lock-up and Magenta Walls....

Ok, I was trying to enjoy some Fallout 3 and I noticed my computer was choking a little bit. I thought it would be fine, it did this before. Then, my computer locked up and all of the walls turned a Magenta color. I was puzzled, hoping this was an isolated incident and restarted. I tried playing again but it happened again.

After the third time, I decided to play some Team Fortress 2 instead. The first time I played for an hour and a half, no issues. The second time resulted with the lock-up and Magenta walls in Fallout 3. When I restarted, Windows Vista did not pop up like it usually does. I decided to restart and use it's recovery options. After following the steps it had me go through, it couldn't find a problem. Now it works fine again.

I scanned for viruses, malware, anything malicious but found nothing. I am currently running Windows Vista Home Edition, 32-bit.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Re: Lock-up and Magenta Walls....

I don't know, maybe it sounds like you're having graphics card problems. What are the temps on your card? Maybe it's locking up due to the video card overheating.

Comment

overheating or driver, make sure your updated
      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

It seems fine now, but I really don't know. I doubt my computer will be the same.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

Sounds like heat to me too. May want to run a few hour bench mark with your case open and a fan blowing into the case. If it does not over heat then it is likely heat. Also sheck that they is not a lot of dust in your PC, you should blow it out every 6months to a year if your in a non dusty enviroment mabey more if your in a dusty enviroment.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Thesleeper01 View Post
            Sounds like heat to me too. May want to run a few hour bench mark with your case open and a fan blowing into the case. If it does not over heat then it is likely heat. Also sheck that they is not a lot of dust in your PC, you should blow it out every 6months to a year if your in a non dusty enviroment mabey more if your in a dusty enviroment.
            I did that like three weeks ago but heat could be the issue.

Comment

Open the case and see if the card is seated in it's port properly(take it out and slot it back in) or if there are any power cables inside the case that may be touching off the card.
              I was gaming in jazy2's house and my monitor kept wobbling like it was degaussing and he said that maybe a power cable was touching the power cable of the monitor or wrapped around it, and it was, so we separated them and the problem went away...:icon14:

Comment

I should check to see if it is properly hooked up. Right now, I can't even start up. I have a Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS and I keep getting an error about nvdllmdm or something like that. I wrote it down but I can't remember it at school.

Also, my internet connection is really messed up. I used to have a download speed of 200 KB/sec or so. Now it's 20-60 KB/sec. I'm thinking it has to do with my ISP but it never acted this way until I had the video card trouble.

EDIT: the thing that is causing it I believe is nvlddmkm.
                Last edited by Mech__Warrior; 03-25-2009, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Loading up a restore point. It will take me to when I installed Fallout 3, but not the updates. Hope it works.

Comment

UPDATE: Now it won't run. Can't get into the OS because my dad wiped everything. I'm guessing hardware issues but for now, I'm out of commission. I need this break to get in touch with reality, but I bought it with some of my money so it will always be an item on my agenda.

Comment

Sorry to hear that man, restore points can be hit and miss, a friend of mine keeps doing it and he gets a lot of problems after doing it, missing drivers, hardware not working etc after he restores it, and what does he do when that fails......goes back and restores it...tch! Instead of finding the drivers etc and re-installing them, as a bad recovery can be at times easy enough to fix.
                      I think the problem with restore points is that it is a format of sorts and can accidentally delete drivers and other files that it is not supposed to, I could be wrong though.

Comment

Definitely sounds like heat, but could also be some marginal component failing, or debris on the circuit board causing a short. (Can be a "soft" short, with a little current trickling where it shouldn't. GPU's are very touchy.)

Check the card fan. Those are notoriously prone to fail, being mechanical and exposed to heat and dust and hair. (I've got a cat. I'm glad she doesn't like to sit on top of the case, so I don't have to worry about it turning into a vomit bucket. ;))

I just had my 8600GTS die. I bought a $70 9500 (after rebate, from Fry's) and it's working fine, at least for WoW. The old card's out of warranty, and I'm not sure if it's worth sending it in for repair. The symptoms are similar to yours but it was a pretty hard failure, with pixelation as soon as I hit the BIOS screen.

I generally don't suspect drivers for this kind of thing. You may still get blue screens and such, but that's usually because the driver is encountering bizarre things in the hardware that it wasn't coded to defend against. Video drivers sacrifice safety for performance: They code as if the hardware is perfect, avoiding error checks because they take extra time that would slow down the rendering. So when the hardware fritzes out, the driver goes right on its face.
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Well it runs fine in XP Home. Now I got to worry about the license expiring in 60 days.

Comment

when u cleaned it 3 weeks ago did u clean GPU aswell like remove the fan off the heatsink and stuff... and properly clean it all?

Comment

Yes I did. It was full of dust. I wonder if using a vacuum to clean it was a bad idea. But now, everything is faster.

EDIT: It locked up again when I tried to install The Orange Box (Team Fortress 2, Portal, and Half-Life 2 combo pack). When I tried again, it gave me a purple background and froze. It must be a hard ware issue. Nothing else can explain this behavior.
                              Last edited by Mech__Warrior; 03-28-2009, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X