OnLive: The End of Console Gaming?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OnLive: The End of Console Gaming?

I don't think so, but this is a really interesting article I came across regarding a new gaming technology that was just unveiled yesterday:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6206620...dlines;title;1

Your thoughts?

Re: OnLive: The End of Console Gaming?

looks pretty cool, another article
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

I just read an article about this on Yahoo. Sounds pretty cool. This is an idea I had thought about back in the early 90's and friends told me it would never work and to far fetched.

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
        I just read an article about this on Yahoo. Sounds pretty cool. This is an idea I had thought about back in the early 90's and friends told me it would never work and to far fetched.
        Better send your friends that link and get them to buy you beers for the next 50 years

Comment

There is a video from the press conferece out. It looks good, but I'm not completly sold yet. Lots of questions, and they answer questions in the video, but I'm still not convinced till I see it and get better reviews.

As a side note, some famous dev just announced today at the show that he has been working on the same concept for a while now, and he says his may be out before this.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

it seems to me the idea is: don't buy hardware just stream the game through broadband
            interesting

youtube video 1 of 2

youtube video 2 of 2

Comment

Originally posted by RogueTheory View Post
              Better send your friends that link and get them to buy you beers for the next 50 years
              Like that is really going to happen, that was so long ago before a lot of people even knew what high speed internet was and you think they would remember.

Bamboo, I am also a little skeptical. Sounds almost to good to be true. One, certain games won't be allowed, you think games that Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo made are going to be on this? I don't think so. You are only going to get games that individual companies make.
              I also have a lot of questions in my head.

Comment

Here is the video. It is pretty long, but the audience question and answer is at the end:

GDC: OnLive press conference in video, Crysis shown running on Dell laptop

also see these from today:
                OnLive beta sign-ups online now
                GDC: OnLive model will impact console and retail sales and “appeal immensely to publishers,” says Pachter

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

The only problem i see with this, is the colossal amounts of bandwidth that will be used. If we're talking HD video streaming, which is what this is, depending on how often you play: How long is a usual PR round? Couple of hours? That's what, 2GB data minimum for one round? My figures are probably wrong, but you get the idea.

Otherwise this is spot on. Best idea I've heard in ages, and when ISP's can handle such bandwidth on the telecom network, it's gonna take off big time I reckon.
                  In Order to Dance

Comment

Originally posted by LogicalHarm View Post
                    The only problem i see with this, is the colossal amounts of bandwidth that will be used. If we're talking HD video streaming, which is what this is, depending on how often you play: How long is a usual PR round? Couple of hours? That's what, 2GB data minimum for one round? My figures are probably wrong, but you get the idea.

Otherwise this is spot on. Best idea I've heard in ages, and when ISP's can handle such bandwidth on the telecom network, it's gonna take off big time I reckon.
                    There's a 6GB monthly cap here per household in Ottawa with Rogers Telecommunications. This would probably wreak havoc on that.

Comment

They say that you can play the high end games on entry level machines, but what would the quality be?

Comment

The system is designed to allow players to stream on-demand games at the highest quality onto any Intel-based Mac or PC running XP or Vista, regardless of how powerful the computer.
                        What about bandwidth considerations? I'm not on a very fast connection and with the possibility of a transfer cap looming in the future, this might not be the best service for me personally.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                          What about bandwidth considerations? I'm not on a very fast connection and with the possibility of a transfer cap looming in the future, this might not be the best service for me personally.
                          Well with a minimum of a 1.5MB connection and 5MB for HD, a blazing fast connection is definitely going to be something that is required. As LogicalHarm said, when ISPs are able to handle such bandwidth, I can really see this product flourishing.

And DrBeat, the quality will only be limited by your connection since absolutely everything is being streamed, not just the game files. The hardware you are running will be basically irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by RogueTheory View Post
                            And DrBeat, the quality will only be limited by your connection since absolutely everything is being streamed, not just the game files. The hardware you are running will be basically irrelevant.
                            It's only the display that is being streamed. Effectively, you're paying for a really long VGA/DVI/whatever video cable. It can display at whatever the resolution your display is.

At least that's what I gather.
                            In Order to Dance

Comment

We've discussed streaming HD videos/films over the 'net before and we've already concluded that that just isn't possible at this point (too much transfer needed). How is this different if we are getting live streams of people playing as well as the game itself being streamed (if the system has the required specs)?

Games are already 3 GB+ and live streaming gameplay videos could be a few hundred megabytes (depending on the quality).
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X