memory question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• memory question

I am running XP home on a system thats been up and running for over a year now.When I dbl clik on system in the control panel it says I have 2.75 GB of memory.....now I know 32bit systems max at 3 GB but I have 4 gigs installed on this system so why would it only see 2.75? is the vid card memory part of what XP recognizes? I have dual 8800gt's so don't know if that matters?
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Re: memory question

It has to do with the memory addressing of a 32 bit system. It's not going to see or use much more than the 3GB limit. If you have a 4GB system, I recommend going x64. XP x64 is limited in it's capability and drivers. You might not want to go Vista, and just live with it until Windows7, then go 64 bit.

http://blogs.msdn.com/hiltonl/archiv...m-problem.aspx

Additionally, under XP 32 bit, you won't have more than 2GB of RAM to use for a given application.
    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

yes.. you have 1gb of video ram, along with audio buffer, and a few other addressed spaces that take from that 4gb... so 4(total) - 1 (video) - audio, bios, other = 2.75, upgrade to 64 bit and you wont have that problem, unless you put 2TB of ram in your computer....
      powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
        It has to do with the memory addressing of a 32 bit system. It's not going to see or use much more than the 3GB limit. If you have a 4GB system, I recommend going x64. XP x64 is limited in it's capability and drivers. You might not want to go Vista, and just live with it until Windows7, then go 64 bit.

http://blogs.msdn.com/hiltonl/archiv...m-problem.aspx

Additionally, under XP 32 bit, you won't have more than 2GB of RAM to use for a given application.
        http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...t=memory+limit

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...t=memory+limit

There have been threads about this before about the 4GB limit with a 32-bit OS. It boils down to all the addressable memory in your system is included in the 4GB limit. Since your video cards have memory, this eats into the 4GB allocation.

Check out the other threads if you want to read about discussions.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

thx all
          "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I'd bet it's the dual 8800's that are eating so much address space. So it's a tradeoff between system memory and all that video horsepower.

I've been happy with Vista 64 Ultimate with 8 GB memory, but I'm playing WoW and can't say much (yet) about how well FPS games work in it. Portal seems pretty responsive. I do know that XP Pro 64 worked great; I used that for over a year and ETQW ran fine.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I'll just wait for windows 7....in my opinion vista is the "windows ME" of this next OS launch. Microsoft just needed some money! All the guys I talk to with the beta of windows 7 love it and have had zero issues with drivers and it runs with alot less horsepower which means my hardware goes a bit farther.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X