My BIOS is gone? (ASUS P5N32-E)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My BIOS is gone? (ASUS P5N32-E)

I have an ASUS P5N32-E. One of the SATA drives started intermittently appearing and disappearing (in BIOS, even). I used the onboard Flash utility (during boot, not in Windows) to upgrade the BIOS to 1701 (from 1205).

The upgrade seemed to go fine. The BIOS upgrade utility saw the CD with the .bin file, recognized the update as the version I wanted (listing the same board model number as my existing BIOS board model number), and the utility eventually notified me that the upgrade was finished and the system would reboot in 5 seconds, which it did.

From that moment, I get nothing when I turn on the machine. All of the hardware sound identical as it used to during a normal boot, but nothing (nothing) ever happens on the screen, and I never get any beeps.

Hep. Hep. :(

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131073
    Phoenix - Award BIOS (v6.00PG before the update)
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: My BIOS is gone? (ASUS P5N32-E)

Sounds like a possible bad BIOS update.

Take out the CMOS battery for 5 seconds (with the machine unplugged first). Then put it back in and replug your machine. Try and boot it up now.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
      Sounds like a possible bad BIOS update.

Take out the CMOS battery for 5 seconds (with the machine unplugged first). Then put it back in and replug your machine. Try and boot it up now.
      If you don't want to bugger with taking out the battery (some of them can be a real pain to remove) there should be a jumper to clear the Cmos as well. It's usually right next to the battery, you switch it's position for 30 seconds (while the machine is plugged in but OFF) and then switch it back and turn the machine on.

Doing either will factory reset your Bios.
      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Thanks to both responders. Didn't know (or had forgotten) about the jumper (saw that post after solving this).

Removing the CMOS battery solved the problem. BIOS shows new revision and computer boots.

I won't bore you guys with what I've got going on today, but I didn't need this headache added to it. Many, many thanks, really.
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

many bios updates require a clear cmos afterward to clear old custom settings. It is a scary feeling though.....
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
            many bios updates require a clear cmos afterward to clear old custom settings. It is a scary feeling though.....
            I've never had to clear the CMOS after updating BIOS on my old ASUS board (or the other GA/Intel/ECS boards in the past). Guess each ASUS board is different.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I had a gigabyte or msi do it to me once (I remember doing the bios update in windows... first ever time doing it that way....)
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
                I had a gigabyte or msi do it to me once (I remember doing the bios update in windows... first ever time doing it that way....)
                Ah, that method might require a CMOS clear then. I usually update through a floppy or CD after reboot using the included BIOS update ultility.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X