AV Comparatives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AV Comparatives

AV comparatives in an Austrian outfit that runs independent tests on the major AV solutions. Don't know exactly how impartial they are as a testing outfit, but I find them to be a good read nonetheless. Their final score is a combination of detection rates and false positive rates, so YMMV on what the results mean depending on how important FP's are to you.

The new February Set B test is out (well, has been out for a bit), comparing detection rates and False Positive rates of every major paid anti-virus solution.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/compa...ews/main-tests

You can see the test results by opening the PDF on that page. I'd direct-link the file but they specifically ask no to.

Set B test is on new viruses, created between may '08 and feb '09. Worth noting that all programs maintained a 97%+ detection rate for infections older than may '08 (Set A)

They also have a summary of their results going back to 2006 here: http://www.av-comparatives.org/compa...ummary-reports
    Last edited by Spyder; 03-31-2009, 11:36 AM. Reason: Made link easier to follow, added summary link.
    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Re: AV Comparatives

Notable for its absence is ClamAV, which I use on my server to scan all incoming mail.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Glad I've stuck with Avast. :) 98.2% is pretty nice compared to what other programs got within their testing. And only around 2% of missed samples too. Unfortunately, Avast still seems to have lot of false positives.

Their testing platform shows Avast as being the third fastest when it comes to scanning with AVG somewhere on the bottom.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
        Notable for its absence is ClamAV, which I use on my server to scan all incoming mail.
        Fairly certain that they only do comparisons of pay-for-usage AV products, along the lines of a consumer report.
        a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
        Celibacy is not Hereditary.
        Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
        Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
        Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
          Hey, that's the same one cPanel uses to scan all of it's incoming mail too. At least I have it on the three web servers that I have running cPanel.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
            Fairly certain that they only do comparisons of pay-for-usage AV products, along the lines of a consumer report.
            Which is why suits avoid open source. If the product doesn't get included in comparisons, how would anyone know that it might be superior? (I'm not saying it beats all those in the contest, but I'll bet it's not at the bottom.)

Mind you, Clam isn't a "realtime" scanner for the desktop, but rather a filter that you can install in the path of other software, notably inbound mail. I've not set up a web proxy (like Squid) but it might be something you could set up there to filter web pages, the other notable infection vector.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X