ATI 4890 and Nvidia 270 release today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI 4890 and Nvidia 270 release today

Pretty big news here. This is the last release in the high end dept. from the 2 companies till the next gen stuff hits later in the summer. Tons of reviews out there, so read what looks interesting.

Also, newegg already has a bunch of the 4890, but no 270 yet. All are pretty much stock cards, and around $250.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...on%20HD%204890

Articles:

4/2/2009 Daily Hardware Reviews -- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 & ATI Radeon HD 4890 Edition -roundup of pretty much all the review sites

ATI Radeon HD 4890 vs. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 -andantech article, so required reading!

HD 4890 reviews go live

ATI Radeon HD 4890: The RV790 Unveiled --good review

Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 1GB Graphics Card --another good review

Radeon HD 4890 Gets Reviewed -another complete review with tons of games

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 Versus ATI Radeon HD 4890 -good comparison

Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 XT and XFX Radeon HD 4890 OC XXX vs NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 -another good head to head battle review

ATI HD 4890 full review comes online

Palit is first with custom GTX 275

Zotac breaks the 700MHz with GTX 275 AMP!

MSI has a custom GTX 275 as well

I think this summary says it all:

Legit Bottom Line: This battle is too close to call, but that doesn't matter as the consumer wins no matter which card they pick.
    Personally, I'm still going to hold off till we know more about ARMA2 and Oper.Flashpoint2, and hopefully by then we know more about the next gen cards that will be based on 40nm and will probably run DirectX11. Doesn't hurt to be prepared, ya know :row__644:

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: ATI 4890 and Nvidia 270 release today

I am supprised that Nvidia put pressure on the review companys to get them to give Phyx more weight and then help back samples from reviewers that would likely write bad reviews.

When they start messing with the people that let me know where my money should be spent they have way crossed the line. I was thinking of getting a Nvidia for a HTPC but if I make it it will be a strictly ATI GPU or mabey Intel.
    sigpic

Comment

4890 = 4870 OCed? So if I OC my 4870 to levels I normally do, I instantly acquire 4890 performance?

Meh. :)
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

the 4890 has a few million more transitors that assist with higher clock but it should be rather close with out them.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Thesleeper01 View Post
          the 4890 has a few million more transitors that assist with higher clock but it should be rather close with out them.
          According to one of the articles I read, it had the same number. As well as the same number of stream processors, etc. Everything looked identical.

Perhaps their info was incorrect, then.
          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams

Comment

Any resulting downward pressure on prices of "mid-end" cards?

Comment

For the Radeon HD 4890 our hardware specs are pretty simple. Take a 4870 1GB and overclock it. Crank the core up 100 MHz to 850 MHz and the memory clock up 75 MHz to 975 MHz. That's the Radeon HD 4890 in a nutshell. However, to reach these clock levels, AMD revised the core by adding decoupling capacitors, new timing algorithms, and altered the ASIC power distribution for enhanced operation. These slight changes increased the transistor count from 956M to 959M. Otherwise, the core features/specifications (texture units, ROPs, z/stencil) remain the same as the HD4850/HD4870 series.
              from: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3539&p=3

the grafix nuts and bolts seem the same just the parts that let those work horse parts work better, is it reaily better /shrug.
              sigpic

Comment

It is probably slightly more reliable/efficient at those speeds. Better, I guess from a hardware standpoint, actual performance, I'm with sleeper /shrug.

Comment

Not a big deal. I stand corrected.

Comment

Things are looking even better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    AMD drops the HD 4890 price tag

A quick check of the newegg link in my 1st post shows a bunch are $230 after rebates

Also, the 275 are up now as well.
                    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ce%20GTX%20275
                    All are $260, and all are out of stock

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by machowner View Post
                      It is probably slightly more reliable/efficient at those speeds. Better, I guess from a hardware standpoint, actual performance, I'm with sleeper /shrug.
                      I read a review that said it ran cooler than the 4870. Therefore quieter. I think they put a new cooling fan on it.
                      The Old Guy
                      kin3
                      sigpic

Comment

Read this if you want to see the difference.
                        Check out the pics.
                        The heatsink is much better on the 4890
                        http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...12974&Itemid=1

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X