X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWC to expand bandwidth caps

This is bad news
    TWC to expand bandwidth caps

As we talked about in other posts on the subject, I said I don't mind some kind of cap, but not 5GB, 10GB, 20GB, and 40GB per month bandwidth caps.
    I am almost done watching all 3 seasons of Rescue Me on Hulu, along with the constant updates from ARMA's ACE mod, watching other streaming shows, and normal gaming, so I would have probably blown through some of those above tiers just in the last week or so. At least Comcast is supposed to have a 250GB limit. By the way, I'm on Time Warner.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: TWC to expand bandwidth caps

My home is on TWC and I will cry if they keep those cruelly low caps, its so easy to legitimately surpass those caps with little effort.
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

The company continues to assert that the move is necessary to deal with bandwidth hogs; it says that 25 percent of its customers are using 100 times more bandwidth than the rest of its customers.
      What a load of crap. So, the 1 out of 4 of us who use their ISP for more than web-browsing and email is a "bandwidth hog"?

It's a shame there's absolutely no consumer choice when it comes to cable providers... you get the company you're stuck with (until FIOS gets to your town anyway).

Comment

I've got Comcast and even with all I download I've never hit the 250 mark.

Comment

Verizon here. i don't do much other then the odd 1 gig download and gaming, but my sis download and watches a butt-ton of music and video. >.< She also uploads around 500 megabytes worth of pictures every couple of day. I'm not lying.
          |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

yeah thats the thing you download a game on steam or a mod and bam thats half to double of what your cap could be, I downloaded DarkFall a few days ago and that alone was 9.6 GB, still haven't decided if I'm going to play it or not but a really good example.
            Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

I go through 5gigs and sometimes as much as 60 (and at full DL on a 10Mb connection, 113/day is possible...not to mention upload @ 1/10 that...) almost every day.

TWC would HATE me... and I would never be their customer. three cheers for CHARTER!!!

HIP HIP.. HAZAA
              HIP HIP.. HAZAA
              HIP HIP.. HAZAA

Comcast sux too...

Verizon Fios ftw, though. 60Mb/20Mb - MMMMMMMMMM
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

They will continue to lower caps until the customer gets the law involved. That is the way natural monopolies work.

This has almost nothing to do with infrastructure. IF they can deliver digital television, including HD, they could keep the current caps and probably double them.

But they are doing this because of Hulu and other services. These things makes their television offering obsolete so kills major revenue streams.
                Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

This sucks. I hope they don't expand out to more rural areas anytime soon.

Comment

OTOH, the more onerous their service, the more possible it is for competition to move in. Expect them to boil you like a frog in a pot: Make you not quite so uncomfortable that you're willing to pay more to go to a new competitor.

I was just reading about Clearwire starting to set up towers in the Silicon Valley area, and I'm hoping they move north to where I am, but I don't hold out a lot of hope. Comcast is likely in tight with my local municipalities and county government, who rake in a nice piece of the action in exchange for granting a monopoly. My only other alternative is to hope that the phone company puts a mini central office near me so I can get DSL. (I'm too far from the ancient 1950's office and would only get 144 kbps.)
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Man and i was just getting ready to go back to TWC!
                      But their service in my area sucks teh Eifel tower. I would get half the channels I paid for and internet from 9am to 5pm. So while I was at work I could use the internet at home...too bad I was at work.

Comment

clearwire is the reason the digital switch is postponed till june.

ban clearwire and send Obama a message.
                        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I'm with Charter and had no idea such a thing existed. And I download a lot.

Comment

I'm on a 95gb cap, and it runs ~45CDN a month to my knowledge, I don't pay the bill =)
                            Caps are fine, as long as they are reasonable for the connection speed. Bandwidth, and hardware does cost money, when they offer a 5mb connection, it is so you can burst to a 5mb download - not so you can stream 5mbps 24hrs a day. I know the limit is a pain, I had to refraim from downloading things to avoid hitting my monthly cap. I would like to think that the bandwidth caps are reasonably close to calculated operating costs. I am sure there are lot's of users who do not even come close to 5% of their caps, so it does work out somewhat.

Maybe someone in the ISP industry would have more information regarding valid numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
                              clearwire is the reason the digital switch is postponed till june.

ban clearwire and send Obama a message.
                              Tell me more. I hadn't heard about this.
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X