Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USB data recovery software? (free, that is)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB data recovery software? (free, that is)

Howdy all.

So I've got a user whose thumb drive went kaput, and I'm looking for data recovery software. I've found several shareware programs that can see the files on the drive, but of course I have to spend money and I don't believe the department will do that. I found one truly free app (diskdigger) that will recover the files, but it doesn't recover file or folder names- just names them as "sector####.doc" and so forth.

Ideas/recommendations/assistance?
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: USB data recovery software? (free, that is)

Ultimate Boot CD has a ton of utilities.

UBCD4win
    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

I've used UBCD for testing internal HDD's and virus checks, but I've never attempted to use it for file recovery due to its command line structure. I'm interested, if possible, in a GUI windows interface.
      [squadl]

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan View Post
        I've used UBCD for testing internal HDD's and virus checks, but I've never attempted to use it for file recovery due to its command line structure. I'm interested, if possible, in a GUI windows interface.
        You musn't have been using the UBCD4win build.... it loads up a sparse windows-like environment.

You'll need to grab an XP CD (or I think you can use a Vista one, now, too) and compile it on your own. But once it's done, it's a thing of beauty

http://www.ubcd4win.com/
        "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
        Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Problem solved, seems we had a copy of EasyRecovery DataRecovery laying about that didn't know of. Thanks for the assistance!
          [squadl]

Comment

I never recommend free data recovery software to any one due to virus risk. If you solved out your problem then its really good news because freewares hardly recovers data .

I used in past and recommend you if you find any data loss in future use stellar phoenix its cheap and best .

Cheers...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X