Help! Internet stops working + page redirection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Internet stops working + page redirection

My dad's computer has had a problem for the past few days that I have yet to solve.
    His browser (Mozilla) will allow him to access pages for a few minutes then the internet will cease to access pages. The LAN icon in the task bar remains active but without any traffic.
    His AVG also fails to update regardless of the internet status.
    I wouldn't think too much of the problem except that when the browser is accessing pages it often redirects to various other unrelated pages from Real Estate to Google Business listings.

I've done several AVG scans, SmitFraudFix scan, Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool, and am still in the process of trying Spybot, AdAware and anything else I can think of. My next step is to download a manual AVG update from my computer, put it on a CD, and try installing manually.

I have also checked the ports on the router and switched out cables to see if it was on the hardware end with no luck.

Any ideas?

Re: Help! Internet stops working + page redirection

When "the Internet stops working", pull up a command window and enter "ipconfig /all" to see what the detailed current state of your network interface is. Then type "ping google.com" (without quotes). Replace google with the name of some other host that's not working. (Given a URL like http://google.com/, the host name is the part between the double-slash and the first single slash.) Ping is the lowest-level thing you can do on the network. It's the first thing to test to see if the network card is ok.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

What you're describing sounds a LOT like the Conficker Virus *pulled up around november last year, and was supposed to update itself april first, that's the one*

it has a process that makes your Web browser re-direct to spam on certain searches

it blocks all Antivirus software from updating - all of them
      if you simply try and delete it - its found its way in your Ram and has a process that will re-install it the moment you get rid of it.
      it has also Deletedyour Safeboot.ini you can't boot safemode.

the way I was able to get rid of it was by Manually disabling the process through Windows administration tools. this gave me access to my browser and to downloads having to do with Antivirus

from there - The latest update of Malwarebytes found it and deleted all of its crap from my computer.

Good luck with it. I really can't remember the exact process on what to look for, some google will help you.

the Conficker isn't deadly - but its really a Jerk of a Virus to deal with.

Comment

I dealt with one of it's variants a long while ago on my old rig. Pain in the neck to get rid off. Make sure your dad's computer's AV is updated daily, has a firewall on (Windows Firewall or some other one), and warn him to close any pop-up windows and not to open emails from senders he doesn't recognize.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Luckily I can still boot in safe mode. I tried the ping commands and ipconfig commands multiple times and the results were very erratic. I will post screenshots of the results when I get home from work and maybe y'all can see something that is wrong with them (other than the fact that sometimes they aren't reaching their destination)

Comment

No need for a screenshot. You can cut and paste text from a command window. From its system menu, select Edit | Mark. That puts the window in Copy mode. "Paint" the text you want with the mouse, then hit Enter to copy it, and paste it into the forum.

When pasting formatted text in the forum, you can use [code][/code] instead of [quote][/quote]. That keeps the indentation intact, and doesn't wrap long lines.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X