Random Computer Shutdown

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Computer Shutdown

While waiting for the beginning of a 2142 scrim, my computer randomly shut down. I was running the 2142 software but nothing out of the ordinary. Essentially, the machine went down, rebooting shortly without problem. I'm running an i7 920, if any oher specs are needed say so. This has never happened to my computer before and it concerns me slightly. Any clues?

Re: Random Computer Shutdown

What are the temps of your CPU, graphics card and how many watts is your power supply?

This happens to me sometimes when I start BF2142, It may just be related to the game and not your pc.

Comment

Are you sure it wasn't Windows Update that downloaded, installed a new patch, and then auto-restarted your machine?
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Possibility of a blue screen.
        Unless you turn it off, it'll automatically restart.
        If you're running Vista, right click My Computer, go to Advanced system settings on the left column, then go to advanced, click settings under start up and recovery, and under system failure, make sure "Automatically restart" is unchecked.
        You should have this off even if you're not bluescreening, IMO.
        It's Gaming
        Proud to have been a member of the 55th Infantry Division!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMojay View Post
          What are the temps of your CPU, graphics card and how many watts is your power supply?

This happens to me sometimes when I start BF2142, It may just be related to the game and not your pc.
          My CPU runs at around 40 C, the graphics card (ATI 4870) runs around 70 C at load. I have an 850 W PSU made by Antec.

Comment

Well your pc is not overheating thankfully, It may just be the game that causes the crash.
            Although 70 for the card sounds a bit high, I could be wrong though.
            It may just be a random crash, if it keeps happening then there may be a fault somewhere!

Comment

70 C is pretty normal for something like a GTX280 or other high-end card.

DrBeat, you still haven't answered my above question:
              Could it be Windows Update causing your machine to reboot?
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                70 C is pretty normal for something like a GTX280 or other high-end card.

DrBeat, you still haven't answered my above question:
                Looks like auto-restart was on, so looks like that is extremely possible. I have now switched auto restart off.

On another note, I was able to lower the graphics card temp by increasing the speed of the fan on the side of the case.

Comment

Check your event log. Go into Computer Management by right-clicking My Computer and go into Event Viewer. Look in the Critical and Error sections for what caused the shutdown.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

Originally posted by Mech__Warrior View Post
                    Check your event log. Go into Computer Management by right-clicking My Computer and go into Event Viewer. Look in the Critical and Error sections for what caused the shutdown.
                    Start->run->eventvwr.msc

Also loads the event viewer.
                    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X