Nintendo DSi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nintendo DSi

I was just wondering if there was anyone that had "upgraded" to the latest Nintendo handheld. I hear of people doing it and/or wanting it, but I can't really fathom WHY, because from my own casual view, I can't really see much of an improvement over the DSLite.

(Note that this comes from a casual observer, I've never owned a handheld so far, because there was no point. The multi-tool handhelds of today i have 2-3 dedicated pieces of electronics for that do the jobs so much better, and i don't have to worry about bricking them or playing a game and having my custom firmware erased by the game repatching it (or requiring it to be patched to run the game) or my battery blown up (all things my brother's had happen to his PSP)

To start, from what I've seen from teardowns and information I've seen, they put the original DS's 840/50 mAH battery in (though made it user-replaceable) instead of the DSLite's 1000mAH battery. This reduces playtime from 15-20 hours to 9-12 hours.

In addition, they removed the GBA port, so the Rumble Paks, your Guitar Hero games (shades of the PS3?) MP3 Player, etc are incompatible and will not work. Needless to say, no GBA games work on it...

They also introduced regional locks and a patchable/upgradeable firmware. The DS/Lite doesn't have regional locks on games, any game from EU/NA/JAP will work on any DS/Lite, they're changing this. I don't know if thats only limited to the online download games, or to all games.

Also, no existing flashcarts currently work on it, so homebrewing and such will need to start over again to take advantage of the increased processor and memory, and they can lock out flashed/unlocked units by the upgradeable firmware, probably by requiring you to patch etc at the DSWare shop.

The only advantages i've seen are a different, more reinforced screen thats .25"'s bigger than the DS, it's lighter, which i don't really understand why it's such a big deal having played with a GameGear before ;), and they replaced the 67MHz ARM9 with a 133MHz version.

It plays AAC files but i'm not sure about DRM, and it only plays AAC, no mp3 or others.

The cameras are .3 megapixel VGA quality cams, basically the stuff you could get on your webcams 5 years ago.

They also increased the onboard memory to 16MB, which I think is mostly to support the pre-installed browser, considering the browser for the DS/Lite came with a 8MB flashcart to support it.

They added SD card support, but considering theres a few existing DS flashcarts that add an SD card slot to the GBA side, I don't see how thats an advantage. Also WPA is supported, but only on the newer DSi games downloaded from the apps store with points and pictochat, original DS games still can't use WPA or WPA2.

So.. can anyone tell me why they want it so bad? I was considering finally getting something, before i read up on it. Typically, if i want to get something like that, I'm getting it to play games, and frequently only singleplayer. I don't wander into areas where other people have thier own so multiplayer/wiFi is useless to me. And a million and one different gadgets on them like the PSP and homebrewing on the PSP... just isn't needed for me when i have a quite capable music player and PDA on my own, that do the job much better.

Its like, why should I pay money and 130/month for an iPhone when all i do is check weather.com mobile and make phone calls ;)

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
    <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
    DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Re: Nintendo DSi

Originally posted by Bisclaveret View Post
    Also, no existing flashcarts currently work on it, so homebrewing and such will need to start over again to take advantage of the increased processor and memory, and they can lock out flashed/unlocked units by the upgradeable firmware, probably by requiring you to patch etc at the DSWare shop.
    The R4i cart works fine on it, I had mine pre ordered before the release of the DSi.

h t t p : / / memorybits.co.uk/r4_cards/nintendo_dsi/r4i
    sigpic

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Comment

I don't think I'd trade in my DS Lite for it, but if you don't own a DS yet, I would definitely go for it! It's a great little system. There are so many great games, and the games for it are relatively cheap. I love mine.
      "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
      He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Lookit what I found:
        http://www.tacticalgamer.com/game-re...tendo-dsi.html
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse