Vista64 Home Prem. doesn't like 8GB of ram

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista64 Home Prem. doesn't like 8GB of ram

So I tried upgrading from 4GB to 8GB but Vista64 Home Prem. doesn't like it. At this moment I am running with 6GB and all is good. Is there a fix to this problem?

Thanks in advance.

CURRENT SPECS:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model
    ASUS P5Q LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
    OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel

Re: Vista64 Home Prem. doesn't like 8GB of ram

its more likely your MoBo or a bad stick than windows having issues with more ram, I'd check to make sure that the ram is on the correct settings in BIOS and see if you can isolate if its that one particular stick or if its just having 4 full ram slots
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Here is what I have done so far.....

My computer was perfect so I thought I'd mess with it ;)

I installed 2 more sticks of ram (2gb each). All the ram is the exact same.

I restarted and that is when it wouldn't load. BIOS says 8gb.
      I took out all the ram and put in only the 2 new sticks. Everything works fine.
      Installed original 2 sticks, so now all 4, problems loading, BIOS says 8gb.
      I took out 1 of the original sticks (2 new, 1 original for a total of 6gb) and everything is working fine.

Comment

Pretty darn sure it is your mother board or some other component. Or maybe even your BIOS setting.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...shop,1775.html

Just because it recognizes it doesn't mean it supports it.
        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I have Vista home Premium 64bit along with 8 gigs, and it works perfectly fine. I think your motherboard might have a defective slot.
          |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Is there another way of testing the slot other than putting ram in it?

Comment

Originally posted by Global.Cooling View Post
              Is there another way of testing the slot other than putting ram in it?
              Short of breaking out the multi-meter and the schematic diagram, not really.
              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Nerd View Post
                I have Vista home Premium 64bit along with 8 gigs, and it works perfectly fine.
                I am too...

4x2 - all slots full on a q8200 / dell oem board and an 4870 512 video card. rock solid.
                Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I guess I'll see if I can RMA the MOBO.

Comment

Does any single stick show a problem? I had a bad stick I found by juggling pairs and finding that the problem followed one stick. I had to send back that pair for a replacement.
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X