What PSU for a friend?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What PSU for a friend?

So my friend decided to upgrade his HP Pavilion a6430f Desktop PC, mainly the video card and the PSU. He asked me to help him out and so far I picked GeForce 9800GT 512 MB for the video card (was within his budget). But the problem is that I am not sure what PSU to get for him. His budget is about $150 CAN for the power supply. His current one has only 300 Watts.

Thanks in advance.

Re: What PSU for a friend?

Provided his HP case supports the standard ATX power supply, then something like these should be more than enough for him:

BFG 550W: NCIX ($76), NewEgg.ca ($80)
    OCZ Fatal1ty 550W: NewEgg.ca ($91)
    Corsair VX550 550W: NCIX ($79 after MIR)
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Seasonic SS-400ET, 59.99
      This will be more than enough for a 9800GT, and it's built by Seasonic, which is known as a quality manufacturer.
      The BFG that Acreo put up is actually in the weekly sale for 40 dollars, if you can believe that.

My suggestion though would be with the Seasonic. I'm not sure who builds the BFG models.

EDIT: The money you save on the PSU would allow you to grab a GTS250 for around 150 dollars.
      It's Gaming
      Proud to have been a member of the 55th Infantry Division!

Comment

Originally posted by Dictate View Post
        My suggestion though would be with the Seasonic. I'm not sure who builds the BFG models.
        I'm fairly sure Seasonic is the one who OEM's BFG's midrange line of PSUs.

All of the Corsair ones I posted are also rebadged Seasonic PSUs (same with about half of the Antec PSUs on the market).
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Just got that 550W Corsair myself and it's really nice. $60 from Newegg but the rebate is a pain.

If he doesn't plan on using SLI or buying a brand new GPU line (I wait till they're more power efficient, heh) shouldn't need anything more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Satertek View Post
            Just got that 550W Corsair myself and it's really nice. $60 from Newegg but the rebate is a pain.

If he doesn't plan on using SLI or buying a brand new GPU line (I wait till they're more power efficient, heh) shouldn't need anything more than that.
            His friend is in Canada so the deal you got may not be available in Canada via NewEgg.ca
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X