New PC Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PC Build

Hey guys, I a new to the forum so forgive me if this question has been asked before. MY current rig has a intel c2d e6600 with intel 975xbx mobo, 2gb of ddr2 667mhz, and a 8800gt, with a bfg 650 watt psu. My brother has been gaming on his laptop, and I figured me giving him my current rig would warrant me a good excuse to build a new pc. So, I have been out of the scene for a while, but from what I have come to understand if I gaming, which is my main purpose I should be considering a c2d e8400 or q9550. I would prefer the quad core because i too use photoshop and i multi-task, the i7 is too expensive for me right now. My question to you guys is what motherboard would you guys recommend and what gpu. I would like to reuse my old psu in order to cut some cost. I would like to hear your guys recommendations. My budget is roughly 700-800 U.S. dollars. I already have the case Antec 1200.

Re: New PC Build

Your choice on the CPU. both are excellent performers, although I use an e8400 [Overclocked to 4Ghz.]. IIRC, photoshop isn't multi-threaded.
    Back to the question at hand, my choices would be the Asus P5Q Pro and GTX 260 Core 216.
    The P5Q Pro is pretty standard when it comes to a P45 motherboard, but they're known to be solid performers. The GTX 260 is going to offer plenty of muscle for most games today. These, plus the CPU, and a cheaper 4Gb kit of DDR2 should be well within your budget. Of course, don't forget hard drive and optical drive, unless you're reusing your old ones as well.
    It's Gaming
    Proud to have been a member of the 55th Infantry Division!

Comment

I went through this recently and came to the conclusion that there is not much differance between the price of an i7 and C2D. There can be a lot more money involved because the higher end C2D is on the lower end i7 for many things. I am gona toss a build out there that uses an i7, most of these parts I have myself in my Antec 1200 case or very similar.

$288.99 - CPU - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz
      $179.99 - MOBO - MSI X58 Pro LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
      $79.99 - Ram - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit (9-9-9-24)
      $219.99 - Video Card - SAPPHIRE TOXIC Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
      768.96 - Total

This presumes you can reuse or have a HDD and optical. The CPU cooler will set you back 35-40 more so if it is over it will only be over by the cost of a HDD and optical. If you have the money I would get better ram. I think you can likely bring these prices down if you shop around some.

Where the i7 comes with many many poneys you don't truely need to OC the CPU the ram is another matter, the ram for me has been very easy to OC to speeds that only an i7 can get to.

The PSU you have should be fine, if you go to 2 grafix cards you may need to upgrade it but not for a single card.
      sigpic

Comment

If you're going for a quad core and you don't want to pony up for an i7 setup, you really ought to look into a Phenom 2. Something like this would perform pretty slightly better than a comparably priced Core2 counterpart, the motherboard would be significantly cheaper for a good board and the whole system power consumption would be lower than a Core2 setup. Plus, they overclock like the dickens.

$214.99 CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103471
        $128.99 motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128384
        RAM: $44.00 after MIR - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145215
        Video card - same as TheSleeper listed above - $219.99

Total - $607.97

AMD's Phenom II line kicks serious ass (as opposed to the original Phenom line which wasn't so hot) and it costs a lot less than Intel. If you can afford a Core i7, definitely go that route. Otherwise, I would go Phenom II.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dictate View Post
          Your choice on the CPU. both are excellent performers, although I use an e8400 [Overclocked to 4Ghz.]. IIRC, photoshop isn't multi-threaded.
          Photoshop CS3 can use multiple cores, but it wouldn't be using multiple cores all of the time as some processes are better off going through a single core.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

thanks for your guys replies. It appears everyone seems to favor the ATI cards over Nvidia, Why is that? I am not a fanboy of either brand whatsoever. Would I see a large performance gain in games by getting a quad core or i7 over my C2D e6600. I am trying to keep costs at a minimum on this build. I have never overclocked nor do i know how, so the overclock ability of anything really does not mean anything to me due to my lack of knowledge. I have been recommended to reuse my cpu, HD, optical drives, and psu, while upgrading my gpu and add more ram. What are your guys thoughts on this. Also I understand AMD is cheaper but honestly after i got my first C2D I dont know or think if i will ever go back to AMD.

Comment

A few of us are recommending ATI cards based on their performance and cost ratios compared to equivilent nVidia counterparts.

As for a quad-core over a dual-core, yes and no. You may only see a marginal or slightly better performance in some games over others. For the most part, having a quad-core is nice when you are heavily multi-tasking and don't want to wait too long on any one active process. For example: playing library in WMP11, photo editing/image work in Photoshop, Flash animations, After Effects, rendering a few web pages, and converting/re-encoding a video file all at the same time.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Or in a more common gamer scenerio: windows + a game + anti virus = + TS + steam + other apps. All the while the game can run on its own CPU so there is no slow down from other programs coopting the CPU your running a game on.

As to the requirements for a CPU, the grafix card and ram are the 2 most common bottle necks for systems today. An i7 CPU will not be signifintantly faster than a C2D but it will have a siginifantly faster memory speed.

After a run with sisoftsandra my memory is testing at 26,267 MB/sec while a C2D with ideal memory is testing 7,780 MB/sec though it is likely under 7k MB/sec if your not getting high end memory.

In layman terms what does that mean, it means that if you have a very large amount of data that is moveing back and forth through memory like when you throw a gernade in the middle of a bunch of barrels the CPU needs to figgure out what happens to every one so it needs to process every one through the CPU (s). You will get some slow down from time to time will it be major? not likely but that depends on the whole system.

If your spending 800 beans then I think you should go for an i7 system for the differance in cost 160 or so its worth it to have the newest system on the market that has clear proformance advantages. But if your only going to replace your GFX and memory then you should keep what you have, you can likely get a solid GFX card and memory for 270 or less. Any ram you get now for your C2D will be garbage if/when you upgrade to an i7.

EDIT: Just before I upgraded I got some kingston DDR2 800 ram with the new i7 PC I have I dont need it any more so I am looking to sell it for 30 USD +6 shipping per 4GB kit if your looking to save some money. It was never over clocked and used only 4 weeks.
                Last edited by Thesleeper01; 04-14-2009, 09:31 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xpertpredator View Post
                  thanks for your guys replies. It appears everyone seems to favor the ATI cards over Nvidia, Why is that?
                  As stated above, you get more performance for your dollar with ATi at the moment. Before the 4800 series came out, I imagine pretty much everybody would have recommended Nvidia but at the moment, ATi gives you a lot more bang for your buck. If money was not an issue at all, I would probably go with a GTX 285 but since it usually is, I see no reason to go with Nvidia at the moment.

I am not a fanboy of either brand whatsoever. Would I see a large performance gain in games by getting a quad core or i7 over my C2D e6600.
                  Some games use more than two cores. GTA IV is a good example of a game that loves a quad core. most don't at the moment but I imagine you'll start to see better support of quad cores for gaming in the near future.

I am trying to keep costs at a minimum on this build. I have never overclocked nor do i know how, so the overclock ability of anything really does not mean anything to me due to my lack of knowledge. I have been recommended to reuse my cpu, HD, optical drives, and psu, while upgrading my gpu and add more ram. What are your guys thoughts on this.
                  It really depends on what kind of HDD and PSU you have. Your CPU is still a good performer if you do a tiny bit of research and apply even a small overclock.

Also I understand AMD is cheaper but honestly after i got my first C2D I dont know or think if i will ever go back to AMD.
                  I personally think AMD is better bang for the buck than Intel right now. If I were building my dream system, I would put a Core i7 in it. However, if I were building with a budget in mind, I would go with a Phenom II setup simply because it will be faster than buying anything offered by Intel in its price range. A Phenom II 720 (tri-core) costs $30.00 less than an E8400, is faster and has an extra core. A Phenom II 940 costs $55 less than a Q9550 and is considerably faster. Either way, you're getting a good CPU but if you do decide to go with AMD right now, you will be getting a better CPU for less money.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
                    I personally think AMD is better bang for the buck than Intel right now. If I were building my dream system, I would put a Core i7 in it. However, if I were building with a budget in mind, I would go with a Phenom II setup simply because it will be faster than buying anything offered by Intel in its price range. A Phenom II 720 (tri-core) costs $30.00 less than an E8400, is faster and has an extra core. A Phenom II 940 costs $55 less than a Q9550 and is considerably faster. Either way, you're getting a good CPU but if you do decide to go with AMD right now, you will be getting a better CPU for less money.
                    I'm also in agreement with Buckets here. AMD should be considered if you're planning on going with a dual-core and Intel. You could easily go with a more powerful (even a tri-core) AMD CPU for what you pay for a C2D.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

a new GPU and some extra ram are going to bring a lot of life back into your current system for the lowest cost. Throw in some research about how to OC and a nice CPU cooler and you can spice up that semi old CPU. I'm not familiar with your chipset so I'm not sure what speeds for ram are supported but 4 GB is cheap right now so find something on newegg.

As for graphics I like the GTX260 (216SP), so if you like rebates door #1 if not try door #2 or if you are an Evga man (like me) door #3 though I wouldn't pay any more with out looking at HD4870 1GB. In all reality you should look at some reviews as there are some slight differences in performance in certain games for nvidia and ati cards but for the most part the 4870 1GB and GTX265 (216SP) are evenly matched.
                      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Sapphire just came out with an all new version of a 4870 that has a much better and quiter cooler. Think it is called the Sapphire 4870 Vapor-X. Other makers may have a slightly faster card but cooling is the biggest thing then you dont need to worry about AM coolers for it or cooking it. To boot it is also very quite.
                        sigpic

Comment

well i ordered an i7 920, with an asus p6t motherboard and some pro corsair ddr3 ram. I am gonna reuse my gpu, psu, and hard drive for the time being until the new series of video cards get released later this year. I figured though that the i7 was the future and so why not. Thanks guys for all your help. I will be sure to keep you updated once i get my other stuff. Now if only UPS will hurry, they shipped it yesterday and they say it will be delivered monday even though i paid for 3 day guaranteed. So IDK.

Comment

three business days i.e. not the weekend
                            Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
                              three business days i.e. not the weekend
                              I understand 3 business days. However, I ordered on tuesday and it was shipped wednesday, so theoretically I should get it tomorrow Friday, but UPS says Monday/ That would be 4 days. Ups does work on Friday, man I hope it all goes well. LOL sad part is I work for UPS at the ontario hub, and I had a feeling i would possibly get screwed.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X