What?? Another PC Build Thread?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What?? Another PC Build Thread?

Hey guys. I've decided to take the jump and build my own rig. I wanted to run it by you good folks because...you know a hell of a lot more about computer hardware than I do. Anyway, here's the rig I'm looking at:

TX750W 750 Watt ATX 12V Power Supply
    AMD Phenom X4 9860 Black Edition Quad Core Processor 2.5 GHz AM2+ Socket 4MB Cache 125W
    MSI K9A2 Platinum Motherboard
    GeForce 9800 GT
    Patriot 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM SATA-300 Hard Drive
    Twelve Hundred ATX Gaming Case
    Logitech G11 - USB Gaming Keyboard
    Trooper Gaming Mouse - Red
    Windows Vista Ultimate for System Builders OEM

And thanks!
    16note
    |TG| 16note

Steam: 16note, Xbox Live: thefifthbeetle

Re: What?? Another PC Build Thread?

There are some things I would absolutely change if I were you with that build.

1. Spend $10 more for a Phenom II 920. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103472 This CPU is much faster than the one you have selected and it is built on a 45nm manufacturing process which means it uses less power, runs cooler and overclocks much better Alternatively, you could spend $55.00 more on the CPU and get a Phenom II 940 BE. Even faster and easier to overclock. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103471

2. The motherboard you selected has AMD's SB 600. You really want a board with a SB 750. They overclock better and really are much, much better motherboards. Something like this would cost less and give you much better performance. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128384

3. Ditch Vista Ultimate and get Vista Home Premium. IMO, Ultimate is not worth the extra $80 you pay for it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116488

4. Spend a bit of the money you saved on the motherboard and OS on a Radeon 4850. The 8800 GT is a great card but the 4850 is so much better. The 512 MB models are nice but I think you'd be happier with a 1GB version like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102802

Otherwise, the stuff you picked out looks pretty good.
    sigpic

Comment

I agree with all that EXCEPT for the video... get the 4870... gddr5 > gddr3. a 4870 can be had for 150 or so in the 512m version.
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
        I agree with all that EXCEPT for the video... get the 4870... gddr5 > gddr3. a 4870 can be had for 150 or so in the 512m version.
        I retract my previous video card recommendation and throw my support behind this one. $135 after MIR? You have to be kidding me. This blows the 4850 I suggested out of the water and absolutely kills the 8800GT you had in your original post.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121288
        sigpic

Comment

I'd drop that overpriced Trooper Gaming Mouse ($45 on NewEgg) for the Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse instead for $40 + free s/h. You'll get a higher quality product, better button customization software, better support, and you save at least $10.

Unless you need the extra macro keys (to the left) on the G11, you could save yourself some $25 by getting a media keyboard like the Logitech Access 600 instead. It has more-or-less the same media controls as the G11 minus the 18 macro bindable keys. I own one myself and thus far haven't had any problems with it and gaming (3-4 buttons down at the same time and no errors).
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

+1 for the MX518 gameing mouse

For the OS wait on the relese of windows 7, its due soon and will be a lot better than vista from what I hear.
            sigpic

Comment

Does Windows 7 have a set release date yet? My plan is to start ordering and building in May-ish.
              |TG| 16note

Comment

Originally posted by 16Note View Post
                Does Windows 7 have a set release date yet? My plan is to start ordering and building in May-ish.
                Not that I know of, I started buying jan-feb and I would of rather use win 98 feb till windows 7 comes out (I have a win 98 disc already) than get vista but I did not realize that vista is such a steaming pile for the money spent and also that win 7 is so close.

Win 7 has not gone gold yet but it is expected soon I think. The only way I would sudgest it is if they anounce free upgrades for anyone that has vista, and thats very unlikely.
                sigpic

Comment

Why not get Windows XP? Still better than Vista and will be a noticeable difference when you switch to Windows 7.

Comment

Originally posted by FL1Pmode View Post
                    Why not get Windows XP? Still better than Vista and will be a noticeable difference when you switch to Windows 7.
                    XP sucks compared to Vista SP1. Stick with Vista x64 and go with the recommendations above and you ought to be pretty happy. I don't think Windows 7 will be out until the beginning of next year and you would almost certainly want to order different parts by then.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'd suggest this PC Power & Cooling PSU as an alternative to the Corsair. Not because it is $5 cheaper, but because they have long been the best PSU manufacturer.
                      |TG|Melee
                      Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Originally posted by Melee View Post
                        I'd suggest this PC Power & Cooling PSU as an alternative to the Corsair. Not because it is $5 cheaper, but because they have long been the best PSU manufacturer.
                        They were bought out by OCZ not too long ago and their quality has suffered a bit. Still a solid PSU but Corsair/Seasonic is rock solid.
                        sigpic

Comment

PC P&C, Corsair, Seasonic, Zippys, etc are all good PSUs. Just buy one that fits your needs but leaves you with some breathing room so should you upgrade your graphics card, you'd have the power available for it.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Okay, sorry to revive this thread that probably should be dead, but just saying, I'm ordering the parts for my compy:

Rosewill ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply
                            MSI P43 Neo3-F LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard
                            VisionTek 900241 Radeon HD 4850 512MB
                            Intel Core 2 Duo E7400
                            Crucial 2GB DDR2 RAM
                            Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
                            Logitech G11
                            Logitech MX518
                            Lite-On SATA DVD-ROM Drive

Just wanted to update!
                            |TG| 16note

Comment