External HD blew out internal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External HD blew out internal?

So I was trying to install windows to my 320Gb Passport external HD. I resized the partition on it to 250 Gb and formatted a 70Gb Primary partition on it in which install windows. I did this formatting in Acronis.

I boot into the windows install and tell it to format the partition (only one that's 70 Gb, that's why I did it) just by force of habit I guess. It took forever, but I didn't notice as I was playing PS3. It restarts like it always does after a format and it BOSD. I pull the USB out and take out the CD. Now my regular HD won't boot. It briefly flashes the boot selection menu then says that it can't detect one of the boot disks and stops. Put the USB back in and it tries to load the windows setup but then it BOSD.

I figure the MBR is buggered. I boot into recovery console and write a fresh one, again without the USB attached. Reboot and get the same error. WTH.

Anyone have any ideas why on earth this happened?

I'm doing a repair install on my internal HD now and hopefully that brings it back. I'm going to be super PO'ed if I have to try to salvage files using a live disk.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Re: External HD blew out internal?

Is this a SATA drive? You may want to make sure that you have the drivers etc.
    Retired 6th DB

Comment

Re: External HD blew out internal?

It was a USB external, SATA internal.

The repair install brought it back but I still have no idea what caused the whole mess.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X