Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirectX 11: Battlefield's Frostbite Engine already ported

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,6...y-ported/News/

Johan Anderson, Rendering Architect at DICE, revealed some details about the Frostbite Engine, which is the base for the Battlefield games.

At the beginning of the porting progress the developer had to face a cross platform engine (PC, Xbox 360, PS3) with an exclusive DirectX 10 rendering path that had DX 10.0 and DX 10.1 features. The actual port of the Engine from DirectX 10 to DirectX 11 was done in three hours said Anderson. Searching and replacing the relevant parts inside the code required the most time.

Since currently there is no DirectX 11 hardware or appropriate development software, the Frostbite Engine was equipped with a switch inside the compiler that can be changed to DirectX 10 or DirectX 11. The developers at DICE are certain that the CPU load during API calls can be reduced noticeably with DirectX 11 drivers. Among other things the Frostbite DirectX 11 Engine offers HDR texture compression, Compute Shader and hardware tessellation for characters and terrain.

With Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 1943 there are two more games of the Battlefield series are based on the Frostbite Engine

Re: DirectX 11: Battlefield's Frostbite Engine already ported

Wait?

DICE can make their engine DX11 compatible in 3 hours, but cannot get the bf2 engine stable after how long? What is wrong with this picture...

| |

My friends call me Y. My enemies call me... well, that's a secret.

"The only reason I team killed you is because I though you were already dead...
    ...Oh god, I just know that is going in someones signature" - Eroak

Comment

well considering the BF2 engine is going to be four years old soon I think its done well (most of the instability is master server and punkbuster).

I'm pretty excited about this happening, a lot of things are coming together to make DX11 very popular. Win7 will have a RC soon and a release sometime this year (vista should get DX11 if I remember correctly) and DX11 hardware from ati and nvidia should be coming by the end of the year as well (assuming they ever get out their 40nm chips **cough** nvidia is slow **cough**)
      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

I sadly have a feeling vista won't be getting dx 11 just from the trend microsoft has set with excluding xp from dx 10. Dx 11 will probably just be another selling point sadly although I hope that isn't the case, I don't want to have to buy a slightly upgraded OS for another $100.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
        In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

DirectX 11 confirmed for Windows 7 - Microsoft revised statement

Microsoft's Ben Basaric just told us that Windows 7 will, contrary to the rather vague statement a few days ago, be delivered with DirectX 11. Furthermore DX11 will also come for Windows Vista although Microsoft wouldn't confirm, if this will coincide with the release of Service Pack 2 for Vista.
          and to nail the coffin shut

DirectX 11 Details Emerge, Adds New Features to DX10 Hardware

Full support (including all DX11 hardware features) on Windows Vista as well as future versions of Windows

Comment

Originally posted by kittykatnub View Post
            I sadly have a feeling vista won't be getting dx 11 just from the trend microsoft has set with excluding xp from dx 10. Dx 11 will probably just be another selling point sadly although I hope that isn't the case, I don't want to have to buy a slightly upgraded OS for another $100.
            XP didn't have DX10 support because Vista is an entirely new kernel. Vista's architecture was designed along with DX10 so a lot of things are done differently. It was too much to port back to XP so Microsoft didn't do it. It wasn't solely a selling point.

Win7 and Vista will be much more similar in kernel design. I would be surprised if Vista did not get DX11 support. Consider that Vista is also 2 years old. When it came out, XP was over 5 years old with lesser reason to support DX10.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Meh. I don't need fancy graphics. I need good game play. How does DX11 encourage that?

For comparison, check out this game that was hugely popular in 2000:

http://www.tribesnext.com/

The graphics were bleeding edge back then and required top-of-the-line hardware and look pretty shabby today. But there's a resurging popularity of this game (over 30 players on the most crowded server, and lots of fun, with more servers coming back).

Stop being lemmings and buying eye candy when you can get better game play for free!
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

The only real thing that interests me that goes along with the newer engines/graphics: destructibility. Altering the maps by blowing up houses, jungles, etc. makes the game sooooooooooo much more engaging and changes the game in a lot of ways. The crates I hide behind in 2142 protect me from tank shells normally, with newer engines, a similar situation will leave me in a very different state, and said crate would be completely gone.

Comment

Well the big thing for DX11 is not better graphics, its improved performance. Less CPU calls and better compression for some textures. GPGPU is also a big feature that is being added in from what I understand, otherwise its just a superset of DX10.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X