HD 4890 or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD 4890 or not?

I have a EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512 with a 24" monitor. Thinking about upgrading to an ATI HD 4890. Would like to hear your thoughts on this. After a few hours of gaming last night I started to smell something like something was overheating so it got me to thinking.
    Thanks.

Motherboard: EVGA 780i
    Graphic Card: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512
    Monitor: Dell 2407WFP-HC
    DVD: Philips SPD6104P SCSI DVD
    Sound: Creative X-FI Audio
    Power Supply: Corsair TX750W
    CPU: E8400
    Memory: Patriot 4G 2Gx2
    Hard Drive: 500G
    Case: Antec P182
    The Old Guy
    kin3
    sigpic

Re: HD 4890 or not?

I was also thinking of getting a 4890, as I currently have a 4670. But sorry to get off-topic for this question, but... What's the Nvidia equivalent of the Radeon 4670?

Comment

A 4890 would be a WONDERFUL decision, but since those are out you can get yourself a 4870 for a cheaper price.

The 4890 so far from what I've seen, is a 4870 with a couple million more transistors, and clocked a little higher.

I wouldn't go with nVidia right now simply based on principle; how they're renaming cards and making the card numbering scheme confusing and whatnot. So you never really know what is what unless you do your research. The lineup isn't at a glace like ATi's is......
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Kin, if it is at all possible I would try and hold off till this summer when the truly next gen cards come out. As said above, the 4890 is a great card, and you can get it for $230 after rebates, and would help you since you are running a 24" LCD, but the next gen cards are going to be dropping to 40nm dies, so cooler and less power hungry.

I'm in the exact same situation you are. I have a 8800GTS 640mb (slightly weaker than your card), but I am giving a pep talk to myself every morning trying to hold off.
        If I were you I would hold off till a new game gets released, like ARMA2 or Operation Flashpoint 2 or something like that, at which time a new card would be so much more exciting, and even if you go with the 4890 later, the price will have come down even more.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I agree with bamboo. We're at the point where it makes sense to wait for the next set of cards to come out and either take advantage of those cards or the price drops in the rest of the market.
          a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
          Celibacy is not Hereditary.
          Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
          Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
          Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

At least wait until July before you start looking at parts again as most of the major deals come out around then on current parts and next-gen parts are usually announced or released.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Oh that's right, it IS coming up on release time isn't it...
              "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
              Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Thanks guys that what I needed to hear. I think I'll wait a little long if the old card holds up.
                The Old Guy
                kin3
                sigpic

Comment

I'd be more afraid that your 780i is burning up than your GPU, although they tend to get surface of the sun hot when you're running SLi. Also, make sure it isn't your power supply. (not likely as that is a great unit but still...) That is no fun.
                  sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X