Upgrading my Processor Speed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading my Processor Speed

Well it came to my attention recently, that with the new games coming out, that you need pretty high end computers. I have already upgraded my computer once for graphics cards, but now I kinda need to upgrade my processor speed. I don't know exactly what someone would need to know, but basically this is what it says:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual core Processor 5200+ 2.60 GHz

and my video card is a 8600gt Nvidia GeForce if you need to know that. But i'm not that much of a computer genius, but i know how well rounded the TG community is, so i thought i would give it a shot. Thanks very much in advance.

Re: Upgrading my Processor Speed

Depending on what games you need to upgrade to play I would suggest that you only need to upgrade your video card. A 4670 would be a nice match and good improvement over your current card. To really give a good suggestion you should list all your system specs(ram, power supply).
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

As nambot said, how much ram do you have?
      As for your current gfx. card, that one is pretty weak compared to what is out now and how cheap cards are. 8600 cards are pretty low on the gaming spectrum.

How much are you looking to spend?

And you could try overclocking your CPU a bit to squeeze some extra FPS out.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I have 3 gb of ram i believe. But i just bought my new graphics card just less than a year ago, and the guy said that it would work with anygame out on the market. And he said i could play Crysis on high graphics. But i'm not looking to spend too much. I spent 400 on the graphics card and power supply. I think my power is like 400wts if that sounds right.

EDIT: But i don't really want a super multi thousand dollar computer. I have already spent over $1000 (computer, graphics card, power supply, monitor) and i don't want to invest too much in it. But i would like to have it where i can play just about every game out there, and on decent graphics.
        Last edited by twiddilywink; 04-16-2009, 09:21 PM. Reason: To add some stuff.

Comment

Where did you buy your gfx. card and power supply from, because I think you got ripped off. Even a year ago that card should have been under $100, and now is less than $50. Newegg even has some I think open box ones for $35. And you might be able to play Crysis on High, but not well, and with lots of lag.

Point is, if you really do have 3 gigs of RAM, with a bit of CPU overclocking is the only way you are going to get a boost without spending any money. And a gfx. card like this
          MSI R4850-512M OC Radeon HD 4850 512MB
          for $100 would give you a nice boost. Really though, the 8600 cards are notoriously weak.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I hate it when people take advantage of other people. :(
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
              Where did you buy your gfx. card and power supply from, because I think you got ripped off. Even a year ago that card should have been under $100, and now is less than $50. Newegg even has some I think open box ones for $35. And you might be able to play Crysis on High, but not well, and with lots of lag.

Point is, if you really do have 3 gigs of RAM, with a bit of CPU overclocking is the only way you are going to get a boost without spending any money. And a gfx. card like this
              MSI R4850-512M OC Radeon HD 4850 512MB
              for $100 would give you a nice boost. Really though, the 8600 cards are notoriously weak.
              Well, i think the power supply and card were probably 250 together. I had them install it so there would be no problems for like 75$ each. No wait, it was $200 then, but $350 then. My bad. Okay, so i need to buy a new graphics card? But what about my processor speed of 2.6 GHz? Is that low?

EDIT: So is there a way i can show you my system specs then? Should i do a dxdial or w/e it is?
              Last edited by twiddilywink; 04-16-2009, 10:46 PM. Reason: Add stuff again

Comment

run>dxdiag

should get some of the important info.

to get info on your power supply you will have to take the side of your case off and look on the physical PSU for a sticker with max watts and amperage on the 12V line. Manufacturer of the PSU is something to consider as well.
                |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X