How fun would this set up be?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How fun would this set up be?

My wife wants to get me a present. This set up seems a little extreme, but would it be worth the price tag? Note, two Vid cards would kick azz. Also note, chances are I am never going to pull the trigger but its always fun to imagine.

AMD Athlon 64 FX-55, 1MB L2 Cache, 64-bit Socket 939 Processor - Retail

ASUS "A8N-SLI Deluxe" nForce4 SLI Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU

eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT Video Card, 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit, Dual DVI/TV-Out, PCI-Express, Model "256-P2-N376-AX" x 2

Maxtor 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model 6B250S0, OEM Drive Only

CORSAIR XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 2GB(1GBx2) DDR PC-3200

optical drives would come out of old computer

Re: How fun would this set up be?

Do you have a 2K monitor? No point in rendering pixels your monitor can't display.

Comment

That is a dream computer, but more power than you could possibly use unless of course, explorer.exe is caught up in an error and eating up your processor power :)
      "There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who know binary and those who do not. "

Comment

Are you guys forgetting that BF2 is going to be released in a few weeks? This is not some ungodly computer of the future. This, or something similar, will be common in the coming months...
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

You could probably go with two nVidia 6600 GTs instead of the 6800s. They are half the price and will provide more than ample video power for even BF2. Do make sure you have a nice monitor to view this wonder on.
          |TG-12th| asch
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
            Are you guys forgetting that BF2 is going to be released in a few months?
            :D

But the point is valid.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I have two issues; 1-I have a hard time justifying the price, 2a-should I wait until DDR2 is avail for the AMD, 2b- if I wait for three months, will the prices come down, 2c-will this computer last 5 years or will the games render the machine obsolete.

Comment

I can answer 2b and 2c. Yes, no. You can ask that question about any configuration and at any time, and those answers will always be the same. It's just a fact of life when it comes to gaming computing.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Anyway, if I were you, I'd put this off as long as possible until a game comes out that needs such hardware. For example, by the time BF2 comes out, there will be an array of new hardware (ATI has a new vid card coming out this year), and the current hardware will be cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
                    Anyway, if I were you, I'd put this off as long as possible until a game comes out that needs such hardware. For example, by the time BF2 comes out, there will be an array of new hardware (ATI has a new vid card coming out this year), and the current hardware will be cheaper.

Hell if the wife is buying why not? Then you can beg for upgrades later :)

Game developers use machines you and I can't afford in anticpation that their games will survive through a few consumer upgrades (LoMac is a good example of this). So why not get the most kickinest rig you can. Like Ferris said "if you have the means, I highly recommend it."
                    New to TG?

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
                      Anyway, if I were you, I'd put this off as long as possible until a game comes out that needs such hardware.
                      Absolutely .
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I have just bought a 6600GT and it works like a dream, also on tomshardware in certain tests, two cards in SLI don't reach the same level of power as the 6600GT by itself, strange I know.

I'm also using the A8N-SLI but only 1GB of the corsair and a64 3200 and the machine on a whole is far quicker than I imagined possible so if you can afford it, the latest technology is defintely worth upgrading to.

Comment

Originally posted by Vap0r
                          I have just bought a 6600GT and it works like a dream, also on tomshardware in certain tests, two cards in SLI don't reach the same level of power as the 6600GT by itself, strange I know.

I'm also using the A8N-SLI but only 1GB of the corsair and a64 3200 and the machine on a whole is far quicker than I imagined possible so if you can afford it, the latest technology is defintely worth upgrading to.
                          What PSU are you using?

Comment

a 750w non branded

Comment

Is that the min you would run with your setup?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X