Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combine 2 audio inputs?

Hey smart peoples.

I have a USB headset with mic and a (non-powered) line-in port. Is there a software or cheap hardware solution to combine the mic from the headset and the line-in port into a single audio input?

I want to be able to playback audio on the line-in while being able to speak through the mic and have it come through the same channel instead of having to hold a speaker up to the mic.

Any help would be awesome.

Haikus are easy.
    But sometimes they don't make sense.
    Refrigerator.

Re: Combine 2 audio inputs?

A line-in port is for input. How do you get sound from a speaker hooked up to a line-in port?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Sorry, worded that wrong. The speaker was from my phone. I want to be able to plug my phone into the line-in and combine the line-in with my headsets mic input. So in teamspeak my selected audio input would be Mic+Phone. Not just one of the two.

Haikus are easy.
      But sometimes they don't make sense.
      Refrigerator.

Comment

I can't think of how to it and Google doesn't give me anything useful back in terms of line-in + mic-in to mic-in adapters.

Why do you need to have your microphone and phone going through the same channel?
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

umm maybe an illustration would help...
          If you show your head then your dead....

Comment

well, a splitter in reverse should work... though you would not have individual volume control on the computer.

the biggest problem is that most programs have you select the input and output device - singular. so any combining needs to be done pre computer.
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
              well, a splitter in reverse should work... though you would not have individual volume control on the computer.

the biggest problem is that most programs have you select the input and output device - singular. so any combining needs to be done pre computer.
              That would not work. It's different when putting two input signals together. Using straight cable would overload the mixed signal from my understanding of electronics. When a signal is split, the two resulting signals are lower in power because the energy is split between them. If you mix two signals together, the power gets combined and can overload the device receiving the resulting signal.

What you need is a mixing board or some cheap parts put together in the following link.

http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/c...s/linesum.html

It's pretty much your input devices hooked up to resistors before connected together.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

The problem is that [PC] mic's aren't powered (amplified), so they have VERY weak signals. Most modern sound-cards auto-detect this and "boost" the signal accordingly. (Or, if not auto-set, some games have an "Enable mic boost" setting).

So if you use a simple Y connector with a mic and line-level source like your phone, the mic will get totally drowned out....

Do you have multiple inputs on your sound card? You should be able to plugin a mic AND a line-in source. If you go to your sound settings->advanced and then "record settings", you should be able to select how much of each you want to be 'heard'.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                  The problem is that [PC] mic's aren't powered (amplified), so they have VERY weak signals. Most modern sound-cards auto-detect this and "boost" the signal accordingly. (Or, if not auto-set, some games have an "Enable mic boost" setting).

So if you use a simple Y connector with a mic and line-level source like your phone, the mic will get totally drowned out....

Do you have multiple inputs on your sound card? You should be able to plugin a mic AND a line-in source. If you go to your sound settings->advanced and then "record settings", you should be able to select how much of each you want to be 'heard'.
                  That wouldn't achieve the OP's goal of mixing the signals for transmission over TS. TS selects one input device for an input signal. It doesn't mix multiple input devices together.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                    That wouldn't achieve the OP's goal of mixing the signals for transmission over TS. TS selects one input device for an input signal. It doesn't mix multiple input devices together.
                    Are you sure? I thought TS only let you choose between your on-board sound and, say, your SoundBlaster. BUT the feed from whichever sound card to TS is controlled by the Record mixer.

<shrug> Only one way to find out!

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                      Are you sure? I thought TS only let you choose between your on-board sound and, say, your SoundBlaster. BUT the feed from whichever sound card to TS is controlled by the Record mixer.

<shrug> Only one way to find out!
                      I think it depends on how the sound card's drivers does things with exposing devices. My TS shows the inputs from my X-Fi Platinum (line-in 1, line-in 2, mic) and my Bluetooth input. The main thing is TS can only select one input device, not line-in + mic.

Unless there's some sort of driver out there that creates a new input device that can mix two inputs together, TS will only be able to select one of the input devices that is registered with Windows.

The OP wants to mix signals. Windows doesn't have anything by default to do it with software.

Comment

the only way I can think of INSIDE the computer is an M-Audio pro sound card or better, which can hardware mix the inputs (a 4 channel delta-44 could be had for under 200) before the OS gets involved. getting a small usb DJ mixer could also do this same thing for about the same $$$...
                        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

You need a hardware audio mixer. The mic and phone would both plug into the mixer. The output of the mixer would go to the line in on the sound card.

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/mixer.html

http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/mixer1.asp

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/281660.html

Note that I have no idea if the above circuits will work for you. I just posted them as examples. The same goes for the fullcompass mixer.

The mic input may need to be amplified first and then mixed with the phone as Whiskey said earlier. You also may need to attenuate the phone signal before mixing as well. You don't want one to drown out the other.

Out of morbid curiosity, why do you want to do this? If I was in TS with someone and they were talking on the phone at the same time I think I would be irked.
                          Retired 6th DB

Comment

Seems like what you want is a virtual input driver that can take either two inputs or an output and plumb them back into the input end of the audio subsystem. Alas, googling doesn't immediately turn up something promising. And with Vista completely changing the audio architecture, who knows if anyone can make one for free. You probably have to have both a DDK and be willing to pay for the signed driver process to make one, so it's likely only available as an expensive commercial product, if at all.
                            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X