Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone feel skype is getting way to much publicity?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone feel skype is getting way to much publicity?

Is it me, or is skype getting a bit too much hype way to quickly. What I mean by that is, that with the status of the economy Ebay is promoting skype as the "problem solver of the telecom industry", the original creators even want to buy back skype with the 2 billion that they originally sold it for and change. There was/is a free app available with the IPhone.

I think it all is a bit overboard....Especially with this huge promotion of international calling, have you ever talked to someone over skype overseas, its kind of choppy....plus Skype is a client based system, that does have its own limits.

I don't know, being with a start up VOIP company of sorts I might hold some bias, but there is something fishy going on.

Germany on the other hand has banned skype and its use with the IPhone due to it breaking laws etc.
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: Anyone feel skype is getting way to much publicity?

"That's what you get when a large company buys you up" ?
    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
      "That's what you get when a large company buys you up" ?
      The creators of Skype sold it willingly, it shouldn't be compared to in relation to the recent Oracle acquisition of Sun, or BofA and Merril Lynch etc..... Plus it happened in 2005.
      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
      NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.

Comment

I don't really care. I rarely use it though it comes in handy when I forget my cell phone and/or need to call a international number. :)
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Well you know, once Oprah starts using it...

and I know what terms it was sold under, and when.
          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
          Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

By the way, this was just posted a couple mins ago on Gizmodo

Skype Offering Country Unlimited Plan for $6/Month

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

thanks for posting bamboo, i found the network world article in regards to germany the link is below:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...skype-for.html
              Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
              NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Comment

I use skype on my mobile phone, but the quality is a bit poor, it's like using 2 way radios, you have to wait till the other person stops speaking to talk to them and there is a slight delay.
                But overall I think it works well, I just love being able to talk on the phone and not worry about the cost, and being able to text chat also is a plus.

Comment

I am all over Skype.

I have a Skype in and out account (why not at 60/yr?)

the church I work for has converted to skype for all telecom except fax, and our ability to communicate has gone through the roof.

I just acquired a wifi Skype phone - awesome gadget.

and every laptop I buy has to have a webcam... even if I am buying for someone else.

I live 1000 miles from my family, so my parents get to talk with the kids face to face whenever they want to...

I use my BT earpeice that sat forever b/c my phone does not get reception in my office to hook up to my skype. I have it on my psp, all 5 of my computers from ubuntu to win7 and osx, I am getting a pda or an ipod touch for it, I use it to transfer files, to text, for voicemail, video conference, and for others in TN to call me free of charge.

You can hook an 800 number to it, you can display your status on your website, you can get ebay alerts through it.

Skype is the best value / easiest / most ubiquitous on the planet for communication right now. I am seriously considering dropping my cellphone all together.

tgddogg if you need something... just need to be in my contacts first, so make sure you id yourself...

I'm sorry, what was your question?
                  Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                  The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

To add to the popularity is not a good thing, certain countries have blocked any access to Skype. Now that it is out there, ISP companies/countries see it as a threat to their commerce. That is what happens when you get so big...
                    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

The biggest problem with Skype for me is its closed, proprietary protocol. At least recently they started supporting SIP, the standard for VOIP products.

Due to the depleting supply of IPv4 addresses, Skype is forced to perform various hacks to deal with network address translation (NAT) used in most site routers. One hack involves routing all calls through another user's connection. It would be much better if that shortage didn't exist, and better deployment of IPv6 should accomplish that. So let your ISP know you want IPv6 router support so you can use lots of SIP phones (and lots of Skype-like services) at your sites. IPv6 provides much better P2P end-to-end addressability. (VOIP is essentially a P2P system.)
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X