• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like a good deal ?

Maxtor 120 GB @39.99
    *rebate expires 03/18/05

Re: Looks like a good deal ?

Not bad, but it only spins at 5400 and not 7200.

Comment

yeah, it's only 5400 rpm and ATA-133. Much better deals out there.
      |TG-12th| asch
      sigpic

Comment

I'll have to look around then, I need something for storage, and wasn't to concerned about the rpms particularly.
        In the big scheme of things does that rpm difference make a noticible diff. in performance ?

Comment

negligible.

and if you are really just using it for data service, then it will be a steal.
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

If you're just throwing files on it mainly for archive purposes, no it won't matter. A quick Google search will bring up expected performance gains: First one I found.

I run all my needed stuff on my SATA RAID array and have a swapable IDE drive bay for backup purposes. Works great.

Comment

do not trust that site too much (they even mention the results are skewed for rw).... the difference is half that on the outside 1/4 at best..... difference is closer to 10-20% slower in rw application.
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG=
                do not trust that site too much (they even mention the results are skewed for rw).... the difference is half that on the outside 1/4 at best..... difference is closer to 10-20% slower in rw application.
                Granted, I just threw up the first with an actual benchmark. I would jump on that deal if I had the need for more file storage. I've already got two older WD 80 GB IDE drives though. When it comes to hard drives on a system or high activity drives, it's a good idea to burn the money to get the fastest possible. With ever increasing bus speeds a gigabit ethernet becoming more common, the hard drive is sadly becoming the greatest bottleneck of a PC (that and your Internet bandwidth).

I wish they'd hurry up with some form a crystal based hard drive, but I think that's probably a good 5 years in the future. That's considering that there is a feasible economic market for it. My research is all in the theoreticals though.

I'm considering in my next upgrade to run a full-blown 4 drive SATA RAID 0 array for the greatest performance. Would be interesting to benchmark that against a stand-alone SATA.

PS: Sorry for the hijack.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
                  PS: Sorry for the hijack.
                  No apology needed...I learn something new everytime I read these threads in this forum, so it's all good :) My box only has a 70GB, and Q's only has 20, and considering neither of our machines contain "high performance" parts, I think these drives would work just fine (especially at the price )

Comment

here's a better deal if you just need space and can deal with rebates.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1051826249503
                    |TG-12th| asch
                    sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse