Ubuntu 9.04 'Jaunty Jackalope' is gold, ready for download

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 9.04 'Jaunty Jackalope' is gold, ready for download

Just passing on the news. If you are interested in trying, remember we just had a really good thread about getting started with Linux. Should be a couple pages back by now.

Ubuntu 9.04 'Jaunty Jackalope' is gold, ready for download

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 'Jaunty Jackalope' is gold, ready for download

Really good easy to read writeup just posted on gizmodo:

First Look at Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Worth the read.

Put simply, Linux simply doesn't get any better than this right now for ordinary users, and Ubuntu is the only serious choice if you're tired of Windows or OS X. (If you do decide to make the leap to Ubuntu, consider getting my free-of-charge pocket guide book - see below for a special offer on the print edition.)

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Just finished installing now and writing this on it. Ubuntu 9.04 on the OCZ Vertex 30gb SSD, linux has never been smoother than this! This is the future! Sorry it just all so cool right now :D

Comment

Installing this at work tonight to check it out, about time!!!

Comment

is this any good for gaming? like maby more FPS or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Cotton926 View Post
            is this any good for gaming? like maby more FPS or something?
            Most games don't support linux, so no.

Comment

Originally posted by Pwn3ge View Post
              eh useless to me then...

Comment

i think you can mod linux. to play an specific game..
                If you show your head then your dead....

Comment

Originally posted by Pwn3ge View Post
                  Originally posted by Cotton926 View Post
                  eh useless to me then...
                  Actually, you can use WINE to run most Windows games. Usually they won't have any problem playing online either. In some cases, a game might not run at all or have other problems that affect general gameplay.

As for 9.04, I just put the UNR version onto my AAO. I like the interface a bit more over 8.10 (desktop). I haven't figured out how to get it to list users on the logon screen yet. It's speedy and I haven't had to go hunting for any drivers yet (though the SD reader issue is a bit annoying).

I do like how the battery indicator will tell you approximately how long it'll take to finish charging the battery. Also, no problems resuming from suspend, unlike 8.10 where the WiFi would stop working.

Seems to already come with Flash preinstalled along with a slew of other programs like OpenOffice, F-Spot, 12+ games, Firefox, and Pidgin. I'll be adding WINE to it later. :)

I would say this release is 99% ready for mainstream users. Although, I would like them to fix the SD card reader not reading cards unless rebooted with one inserted issue. Maybe even throw in WINE and/or a link to the Wiki tutorial on installing WINE and running WINE.

Edit: Getting and installing VLC and WINE now. :) Next up is loading Starcraft and DaemonTools on there.
                  Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 04-25-2009, 04:55 AM.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Hmmm...interesting...must resist..... Ahhh what the heck. Dual-boot here we come!

Jaunty-easy and sprightly in manner or bearing: to walk with a jaunty step.

Comment

Good post up on Lifehacker

Top 10 Ubuntu Downloads

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Ubuntu is great for web-surfing, word-processing, playing music and media, burning cds, im and all the other day to day stuff. That's what i use it for.

You still need windows for gaming, simple bleeding edge htpc playback (blu-ray etc) and applications that just work better or only on windows. And if you as a user are not comfortable with learning anything that looks and works different than windows you are lost too.

Comment

The fact that WiFi now works out of the box, is reason enough. "Smaller than usual" advancements aside, it's still enough for me that Ubuntu has seen nearly-exclusive use on my netbook.

The only reason I have to boot into Windows, is so I can tether my phone for an internet connection. PDAnet, even with Wine, doesn't quite work (which is to say it gets mostly installed, then complains a service related to it is running even though it isn't).

Fun stuff :)
                          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                          Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Left a sour taste in my mouth after I was unable to upgrade from 8.10 using the normal install disc. Apparently I needed the "alternate" advanced install disc, which is crap.

I messed up my install trying to force the first disc to work (can't download anymore upgrades, says it needs a "partial update" whatever the heck that means), which is my fault, but also their fault for the upgrade process not making sense. All I should have had to do was to download the normal install disc and hit the upgrade button in the update manager which automatically detects the disc for the upgrade.

Luckily it wasn't my main OS. I'll probably give Fedora a shot, haven't tried it in awhile.

Comment

GOD, I wish...

I got into linux back in October when I was leaving for Basic... got my taste buds going. Now, stuck in my dormitory, I'm forced to horrible download speeds...

Also, I can't be sure that the wireless would agree with Ubuntu JJ; But I can dream.

As soon as I'm at my next base in July, my Dell Mini 12 is becoming a Ubuntu programming slave :)
                              Skud

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X