NVIDIA's GT300 specs outed???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's GT300 specs outed???

As we have talked about, a lot of us are really trying to hold off till the next gen gfx. cards hit about the end of summer, and if this post by engadget is correct, we may have even more reason to hold off.

Now remember, this isn't 100% confirmed, but.........................

GT300 itself packs 16 groups with 32 cores - yes, we're talking about 512 cores for the high-end part. This number itself raises the computing power of GT300 by more than 2x when compared to the GT200 core. Before the chip tapes-out, there is no way anybody can predict working clocks, but if the clocks remain the same as on GT200, we would have over double the amount of computing power.
    If for instance, nVidia gets a 2 GHz clock for the 512 MIMD cores, we are talking about no less than 3TFLOPS with Single-Precision. Dual precision is highly-dependant on how efficient the MIMD-like units will be, but you can count on 6-15x improvement over GT200.
    Might need to check your drawers after thinking about that. :madsmile:

That isn't going to make it totally easy to hold off buying right now though, with prices as good as they are, but it will help...... :row__523:

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: NVIDIA's GT300 specs outed???

6-15x improvements over already performance series cards? I'm gonna go shower after thinking about that :)
    Skud

Comment

There have been many articles recently about the new architecture and I must say I think nvidia is taking a good size risk in my opinion. From the sound of it this chip is going to be huge and that means a lot of power and a lot of heat on top of a lot of cost, even with a 40nm process I have my fears. The best thing though is that this should really get those GPGPU programs off the charts thats is a huge increase in computing power. The timing is also a bit worrying because ATI is starting to get its 40nm chips out and it wont be too long before we see some more powerful stuff from them and I don't think nvidia's interim products are going to hold much longer for the GT300. Just my thoughts but I do have some high hopes for this card, could be a great purchase later this year.
      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Finally, new architecture on par with the jump from the 7800 to the 8800. :)
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Wow, that's some serious power for just a video card. Can't imagine how much one will cost.

My 9800GTX is huge, so this card is probably going to be like a furnace in your case. Think of the sweet effects you can enable though.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Nice.

Should make the late 200 cards much less expensive.

What would be the best upgrade from a 9800GTX+??

Comment

Rattler, it would depend on when you want to buy. Right now, the 9800GTX is good enough, unless you have $250 or so burning a hole in your pocket. If not, just wait till end of summer, then we will be able to better advise you.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

itel probably be like the TRI-slot gainward 4870 X2... all big and bulky ;]

Comment

I have an 8800GTX and, while I'm running ArmA2 on moderate settings with a 3k view distance at 35-45FPS, I'd like to know if its advisable to upgrade. If yes, to what exactly? What's going to give me the best bang for my buck and be relatively future-proof? Buying the very top of the line three years ago gave me a lot of time to enjoy games at high settings, but the setup is beginning to lag behind more up to date hardware. Should I hold out for a couple more months to see what happens with the next gen' or should I look for a deal on a 2xx now?

So many considerations!

Comment

If you can play arma2 now at a decent rate, even though not all the eye candy is turned on, I would wait. Average of 40 FPS is a lot better than most people are getting, and we really are only talking about a few months to wait.

If you do have $200 to blow right now, either the Nvidia 275 or ATI 4890 would be a bit of an upgrade for you.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                      If you can play arma2 now at a decent rate, even though not all the eye candy is turned on, I would wait. Average of 40 FPS is a lot better than most people are getting, and we really are only talking about a few months to wait.

If you do have $200 to blow right now, either the Nvidia 275 or ATI 4890 would be a bit of an upgrade for you.
                      Thanks for the advice, I took it! Combined with the word from the BI forums, I ordered an HD4890 this morning and should arrive before too long. :)

Comment

to get a bit back on topic here

nVidia GT300 - GeForce GTX 380 yields are sub-30%
                        Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

I just bought a new setup, but didn't get a graphics acrd at the time. I'm stuck with a 7900GTX for now (which doesn't put up much of a fight for games) which brings the general performance of the PC right down. Would it be advisable to wait for the GTX300 cards, or would it cost more than it's worth (if it's bigger, new case would be requried, and possibly new PSU)?

Comment

Don't know harpo, as we don't have any idea of the power requirements or size of the new cards, or what case/psu you have. I helped someone build the other day that decided they are going to want one of the next gen, but need something now since they were going from AGP up, so they got a 4850 for like $90 to tide them over. Figure they could sell the 4850 around Christmas time for $50 or so, and make back some of the cost.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Cool, I'll see closer to the time. Thanks :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X